Default question about using exiting characters

Hello.

lately I have seen many projects involving existing marvel, dc, etc characters from independent artists. Like a fanfic one could say.
    But while a fanfic is free and for anyone to read.
    How is it that some are selling this fanfics without lawyers from established publishers coming to their doors for using copy righted characters?

Quote Originally Posted by darthjoker View Post
    Hello.

lately I have seen many projects involving existing marvel, dc, etc characters from independent artists. Like a fanfic one could say.
    But while a fanfic is free and for anyone to read.
    How is it that some are selling this fanfics without lawyers from established publishers coming to their doors for using copy righted characters?
    Simple, they flaunt the law as do those who sell prints of such characters on artwork platforms (rather than OCs in said universe or style which is technically not illegal). The money involved is relatively small time so the big companies typically don't care.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Simple, they flaunt the law as do those who sell prints of such characters on artwork platforms (rather than OCs in said universe or style which is technically not illegal). The money involved is relatively small time so the big companies typically don't care.
    Ahhh...thank you for the answer. That makes sense now.

Thanks!!!!

It may also be what they are selling.

You as an individual buy a book I wrote from me. The book to make cost $15 and that is what I'm selling it for. The story is about Superman, but I'm not making money from selling a Superman story, I'm making money buy selling a book.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.