Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    I know its fascinating. Dracula lasted 70 issues, with appearances in multiple other horror mags, plus at least 5 giant size books. And Conan ran forever.
    And a crossover with Dr. Strange, with art by Gene Colan on both books.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    Oh yeah. The comics market in the 1970s was VERY different. Sgt. Fury and his Howling Commandos lasted 167 issues.
    Can't lie, I get a little nostalgic when I think about the variety of genres and titles that Marvel churned out during the 1970s. These days if Marvel pushes 15 books, you can best believe 3 of them will be X-men related, 3 will be Avengers related, 3 will be Spider-Man related, 1 will be for the FF franchise and the remainder will be characters that typically appear in one of the aforementioned titles. Ok, I'm exaggerating a little, but not by much.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Can't lie, I get a little nostalgic when I think about the variety of genres and titles that Marvel churned out during the 1970s. These days if Marvel pushes 15 books, you can best believe 3 of them will be X-men related, 3 will be Avengers related, 3 will be Spider-Man related, 1 will be for the FF franchise and the remainder will be characters that typically appear in one of the aforementioned titles. Ok, I'm exaggerating a little, but not by much.
    They will on occasion put out different genres. Or attempt new things. Even if they were limited series the MAX line was super diverse. Like I said before Mystery men, various other things. The Twelve. Supreme Power. I kind of have to dig but those are the ones I enjoy the most because the regular marvel characters are in a non stop loop. Also just easier for me to wrap my brain around.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    They will on occasion put out different genres. Or attempt new things. Even if they were limited series the MAX line was super diverse. Like I said before Mystery men, various other things. The Twelve. Supreme Power. I kind of have to dig but those are the ones I enjoy the most because the regular marvel characters are in a non stop loop. Also just easier for me to wrap my brain around.
    True, but like someone said, before you've had a chance to even get your ankles wet with a series, they pull the plug. Everyone binge watches TV shows these days, but we used to binge read comic runs back in the day. My friends would stop by with a stack of a complete run 70-100+ issues deep and we'd just read all damn day, stopping only to go to McDonald's, or grab some junk food from the corner store. Ahhh, the good ol' days.

Astonishing Member

True, but like someone said, before you've had a chance to even get your ankles wet with a series, they pull the plug. Everyone binge watches TV shows these days, but we used to binge read comic runs back in the day. My friends would stop by with a stack of a complete run 70-100+ issues deep and we'd just read all damn day, stopping only to go to McDonald's, or grab some junk food from the corner store. Ahhh, the good ol' days.

All true but I have accepted the good old days are not coming back. If Marvel thinks this is how they need to do things now I guess thats what they will do. My wish would be for readers like me have at least a few diverse books that run a little off kilter to what is going on in the latest event. Do your events thats cool but run a book on more obscure characters even if its just 12 issues or whatever. Marvel has a ton of talent. I know they probably don't make money on the type of books I suggested but I think it would keep things fresh. If that means anything. Its not like Marvel doesnt enjoy tapping into its history but it just seem in most cases it always gets convoluted in some massive event that I just can't follow even if its really good which I know some of them are.

I mean this masked raider convo is a typical example. To me he sounds like an interesting character. But for me or you to actually get his story we have to read 8 books across 5 lines and 3 one shots to even get an idea what is going on with him. Why not actually run a series on him?
    Last edited by inisideguy; 02-15-2021 at 11:05 PM.

Extraordinary Member

I'll be checking this out, should be good.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    This cover is ~so~ Gil Kane!
    It's pure Gil Kane -- appears to be inked by him as well. I tended to prefer his artwork when it was inked by someone else -- even though he was a fine inker.

I think the contraction of the comic-book genres was more or less due to the loss of newsstands and the rise of the Direct Market. The madness of the '90s accelerated the process.

Interestingly, the gradual shift to bookstores & digital seem to have opened things up a bit more, although with new genres. Creators like Raina Telgemeier or Jerry Kraft are making a living well outside the superhero genre.

But I digress. This thread is about the New Defenders book, which looks to be urban fantasy more than anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    His Doctor Strange story with Roger Stern is still my absolute favorite issue of Dr. Strange of all time. A perfect synthesis of story and art that I’ve ever seen.
    I'm curious - what story was that?
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

I'm curious - what story was that?
    Doctor Strange #55:

http://thegreatcomicbookheroes.blogs...-by-roger.html

Thanks for going to the trouble! I was reading Dr. Strange around that time; I may have read this but don't really remember it.
    Marvel and the trippy.
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

Thanks for going to the trouble! I was reading Dr. Strange around that time; I may have read this but don't really remember it.
    Marvel and the trippy.
    That was a great run. The following issue, with Paul Smith art, is one of my favorites.

Breaker of Worlds Immortal Hulk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    Silver Silver needs a place to be, so I hope that he is a regular in this title. I will buy it if her is.
    Totally seconded here.

Literally the first Marvel comic that has excited me in a long time.
    Really like the cast.
    Red She-Hulk/Harpy looks to be a replacement for Gargoyle.

Whatever happened to him?
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    Red She-Hulk/Harpy looks to be a replacement for Gargoyle.

Whatever happened to him?
    Right now he's a Schrödinger Gargoyle. Last issue of Iron Man had him, as well as Frog Man, Misty and Scarlet Spider caught in an explosion.
    Will find out tomorrow if they survided. I'm not too worried for the three others, but poor Isaac is a convenient redshirt.
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way