Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    So this mask has been around an incredible amount of time or somewhat?
    The mask has been around since at least the Middle Ages I think. It came to North American during the revolution, they retconned it that it has been worn by various people in marvel history over the years. The original masked raider, The operative, The thunderer ( who I think they renamed the black avenger) Blind Justice and now this new guy who no one knows who he is.

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    The mask has been around since at least the Middle Ages I think. It came to North American during the revolution, they retconned it that it has been worn by various people in marvel history over the years. The original masked raider, The operative, The thunderer ( who I think they renamed the black avenger) Blind Justice and now this new guy who no one knows who he is.
    This is fascinating. I have to find the wiki on it.
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

Well, I did say I wasn't keeping up with a lot of stuff., thanks. sorta intriguing. So what is his mission or goal? Does it depend on who has this mask?
    Currently, he's hunting the Enclave, the same guys who created Adam Warlock. But the mask is older than them (see below). It seems to have problems with people who want to rule others... it's definitely anti-aristocrat.

So this mask has been around an incredible amount of time or somewhat?
    Since the time of Camelot. The first wearer battled the original Black Knight (and lost).

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Eternity_Mask

Astonishing Member

Yea like I said I don't know if its everyones cup of tea but I am a sucker for golden age marvel stuff or even marvel history before that. I wish Marvel would do more of it. But it probably has very limited appeal to modern audiences.

Oh Bless you my fine person!
    ~ Oberon ~
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

Yea like I said I don't know if its everyones cup of tea but I am a sucker for golden age marvel stuff or even marvel history before that. I wish Marvel would do more of it. But it probably has very limited appeal to modern audiences.
    No, these are the kind of retcons or 'placements' in continuity that I can more easily absorb. I like Blue Marvel and Sentry enough on their own merits, but don't care for the revision aspect so much. Whatever.

The Beehive story from FF waaaaay back, is literally the 2nd comic I picked up as a 12 year old. I've always been fascinated with Him, Adam Warlock, for sure from that.

But this wiki gives me a different perspective on Hamilton, who did seem the one person in the Enclave who regained sympathy or slight redemption. So the idea he ended up being one of these masked raiders is intriguing too.

there's a lot to digest with this.
    ~ Oberon ~

Astonishing Member

No, these are the kind of retcons or 'placements' in continuity that I can more easily absorb. I like Blue Marvel and Sentry enough on their own merits, but don't care for the revision aspect so much. Whatever.

The Beehive story from FF waaaaay back, is literally the 2nd comic I picked up as a 12 year old. I've always been fascinated with Him, Adam Warlock, for sure from that.

But this wiki gives me a different perspective on Hamilton, who did seem the one person in the Enclave who regained sympathy or slight redemption. So the idea he ended up being one of these

masked raiders is intriguing too.

there's a lot to digest with this.
    Yea with most of these guys the operative, the thunderer even the original masked raider there is so little written about them in the first place its barely a retcon. So they have a lot of things they can fill in regarding their histories. I really dug when Marvel did that Mystery men comic back in 2011 or whatever and I thought the operative was a super cool character. But they never brought any of those characters back in any other stories I don't think. So with this they sort of did, they made the ferret who was a golden age character and the operative who was a retconned golden aged character the same guy. Pretty neat stuff.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Some collect comics for the characters, but I followed the artists, and Golden was one of them. I owned a ton of comics that I never would have bought had Golden not drawn the covers or interior.
    His Doctor Strange story with Roger Stern is still my absolute favorite issue of Dr. Strange of all time. A perfect synthesis of story and art that I’ve ever seen.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Yea I like Night rider to. I don't know I sort of like when Marvel goes back into its western comic history. Its the one American archetype that is cool to draw on. Other than maybe the Daniel Boone, mountain man archetype. I think I am just a sucker for when Marvel goes back into history before the FF in anyway. I like all those types of stories.
    I totally understand. One of my uncles, who got me into comics, had a massive collection of mostly Wild Wild West genre comics that he loved. Lots of ME (Magazine Enterprises), Charlton, Atlas, Dell and Gold Key outlaws and gunslinger titles. He didn't like us touching those books, but naturally I'd sneak and look anyway, because the art was amazing on some of them.

There's definitely room for the Masked Raider in the Marvel firmament, I just have my doubts about the Eternity mask thing. But I guess he wouldn't be the first Space Cowboy, if they decide to go in that direction.
    Attached Images Attached Images

This cover is ~so~ Gil Kane!
    ~ Oberon ~

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

This cover is ~so~ Gil Kane!
    Yep, another one of the artists that I used to collect back in the day.

Astonishing Member

I totally understand. One of my uncles, who got me into comics, had a massive collection of mostly Wild Wild West genre comics that he loved. Lots of ME (Magazine Enterprises), Charlton, Atlas, Dell and Gold Key outlaws and gunslinger titles. He didn't like us touching those books, but naturally I'd sneak and look anyway, because the art was amazing on some of them.

There's definitely room for the Masked Raider in the Marvel firmament, I just have my doubts about the Eternity mask thing. But I guess he wouldn't be the first Space Cowboy, if they decide to go in that direction.
    Kind of amazing a western title got to 200 issues and this was in the 70s. I know many of these old kid colts were reprints around this time but still. They must have still been selling.

Kind of amazing a western title got to 200 issues and this was in the 70s. I know many of these old kid colts were reprints around this time but still. They must have still been selling.
    Oh yeah. The comics market in the 1970s was VERY different. Sgt. Fury and his Howling Commandos lasted 167 issues.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Yep, another one of the artists that I used to collect back in the day.
    We have very similar artistic tastes.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    Oh yeah. The comics market in the 1970s was VERY different. Sgt. Fury and his Howling Commandos lasted 167 issues.
    I know its fascinating. Dracula lasted 70 issues, with appearances in multiple other horror mags, plus at least 5 giant size books. And Conan ran forever.