Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Problem is that 5-6 issues arcs became industry standard and we rarely have anyone breaking out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by tib2d2 View Post
    Just finished watching Justice League Unlimited with my son. I think he enjoyed it even more than the preceding Justice League series since JLU featured so man different heroes and villains.

DC should take a page from JLU as how a Justice League monthly should be. Much shorter story arcs, occasional one and done stories, featuring characters outside of main crew from the first series. But also had running story plots that would be referenced and also built upon throughout the show. Really well done, I'd love so have a JL comic book series like this show was.
    One of the main strengths of the BTAS-JLU universe was that they never needed to use these characters again. They could have a story end with the redemption or death of a villain or hero and not have to worry that somebody else would have any desire to use them at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    Basically the Satellite League of the Bronze Age.
    Go back and read Len Wein's run on Justice League of America #100-114 from 1972-1974. A good mix that starts with a "BIG" story (#100-102) and also has some one-and-done tales. Large membership in the group also meant they could rotate in both big names and others who didn't have their own comic book or even a feature elsewhere.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    There is this fine line. Without the big name, the book doesn't sell. But how many big names do you need to get it to sell?

Of course, just like in wrestling, if you don't promote the up and coming stars, how will they get to be the big name stars?
    Nothing about the OP suggests not using big name stars, just not using them exclusively. JLU still had all the marquee names, of course, they just made room for other characters.

IMO, the OP had it right, that's what DC should do, which of course means it won't, because that's how they roll. DC seems to live by the phrase "Because no one demanded it".

Mighty Member

The reason I got into DC over Marvel was because of its vast array of different superheroes, and for that reason the JLU remains my all time favourite DC cartoon series.

As for the comic, you need the big names, but I think a the rotating cast of the Satellite era (70's/80') would be preferable.

Have the big six, but also have heroes like Green Arrow, Black Canary, Atom, Hawkman, Red Tornoado, Firestorm, ect.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Problem is that 5-6 issues arcs became industry standard and we rarely have anyone breaking out of it.
    True. And if they can't break out of it, then the solution would be to make all of the stories, be they one issue or a full five/six, part of the same overall arc. It's basically taking the old "split up into groups" element they used a lot in the 70s/80s and taking it to the next level.