Default Golden Age Shining Knight (Sir Justin) Appreciation Thread (2021)

First appearance: Adventure Comics #66 (September 1941)
    (sorry about the image quality; can't find anything clearer on the internet)
    :

To be continued . . .

And, yes, the idea of a guy frozen in ice for many years does sound . . . familiar...

Boisterously Confused

The original faux-Shakespearean speaking ancient, mythic superhero.

Mighty Member

I've always loved the Shining Knight. I'm glad the writers included him in the JLU cartoon....tangling things up with the Suicide Squad.

from Who's Who: The Definitive Directory of the DC Universe Vol. XX (October 1986)

from History of the DC Universe

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post

from Who's Who: The Definitive Directory of the DC Universe Vol. XX (October 1986)

from History of the DC Universe
    That on the bottom is a gorgeous rendering. Perez?

One thing about Sir Shining that always made my head scratch. He was sometimes illustrated with a shield and lance that would appear and disappear at random. I wish Thomas had addressed that in All-Star Squadron, maybe by equipping Winged Victory's saddle with a magical bottomless saddlebag or some such.
    Last edited by DrNewGod; 05-04-2021 at 01:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    That on the bottom is a gorgeous rendering. Perez?
    Yes, George Pérez did the artwork for History of the DC Universe, a wonderful two-issue Prestige Format series that was suppose to give a better idea of how the entire DC Universe was as a result of the Crisis on Infinite Earths.

Too bad things started changing right away after DC published it.

I wish they would use the Shining Knight more, put him on JLD for a while, or the All Star Squadron if DC chooses to reboot it.

Has the Shining Knight ever showed up regularly in a run after the Seven Soldiers of Victory? (80's All Star Squadron series? Old Warlord comics?)

Perez's Shining Knight is beautiful. Always hoped for an action figure of the character. There was probably a possibility when Mattel had the DC AF license but at this point...not likely.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nostalgia View Post
    I wish they would use the Shining Knight more, put him on JLD for a while, or the All Star Squadron if DC chooses to reboot it.

Has the Shining Knight ever showed up regularly in a run after the Seven Soldiers of Victory? (80's All Star Squadron series? Old Warlord comics?)
    Well, he did show up in Geoff Johns' Stars and S.T.R.I.P.E. series, and it looks like he's in the Stargirl Spring Break Special one-shot.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Well, he did show up in Geoff Johns' Stars and S.T.R.I.P.E. series, and it looks like he's in the Stargirl Spring Break Special one-shot.

Thanks I'll have to check that out. I wonder if he ever had some major Bronze Age appearances that we could read? That would be interesting.

Boisterously Confused

Thanks I'll have to check that out. I wonder if he ever had some major Bronze Age appearances that we could read? That would be interesting.
    Mostly that I remember, in reprints of his Golden Age stuff. However, he did play a minor part in a JSA story during the Bronze Age revival of All-Star Comics from issue 62-65. After mysteriously lurking for a couple of issues, the cover of 64 made it look like he was going to have a significant part, only to disappear from the story entirely, and without explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Mostly that I remember, in reprints of his Golden Age stuff. However, he did play a minor part in a JSA story during the Bronze Age revival of All-Star Comics from issue 62-65. After mysteriously lurking for a couple of issues, the cover of 64 made it look like he was going to have a significant part, only to disappear from the story entirely, and without explanation.
    Thanks I will look into checking that out. I love reading Bronze Age comics from the 70's. Oddly enough I find that many of them are written far better than comics today...at least at DC.

He also shows up in Swamp Thing #87 (June 1989)

Boisterously Confused

Thanks I will look into checking that out. I love reading Bronze Age comics from the 70's. Oddly enough I find that many of them are written far better than comics today...at least at DC.
    You are correct.