Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Excalibur vs Mjölnir

Composite Excalibur (sword)

vs

Composite Mjölnir

This is strictly about the weapons, not about any specific person/character who wields them. If a wielder is needed, then assume that each wielder is identical and derives all extra abilities and powers from the weapons. Also, the issues/conditions of being worthy are turned off at this time.

A) Which weapon is more powerful overall?

B) When pitted against each other, which weapon would win the most battles?

C) Are there some locations/environments that favor one weapon or the other?

D) Which weapon would you want to bring into a fight?
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

As much as Aaron’s run may not be to my taste, the skyfather-level mother storm apparently living in 616 Mjolnir is pretty damn compelling.

Although I have a vague feeling there are versions of Excalibur that are pretty ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    Although I have a vague feeling there are versions of Excalibur that are pretty ridiculous.
    I'm sure there are many different versions of Mjolnir, but i think Excaliber, being like the most famous sword/weapon in fiction has even more different versions. Now, this doesnt mean that some of these versions are stronger then mjolnir's best, but like you, im sure there are some very OP versions.

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

Well the Mother Storm Mjolnir seems like the bar to clear right now.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Composite Excalibur (sword)

vs

Composite Mjölnir

This is strictly about the weapons, not about any specific person/character who wields them. If a wielder is needed, then assume that each wielder is identical and derives all extra abilities and powers from the weapons. Also, the issues/conditions of being worthy are turned off at this time.

A) Which weapon is more powerful overall?

B) When pitted against each other, which weapon would win the most battles?

C) Are there some locations/environments that favor one weapon or the other?

D) Which weapon would you want to bring into a fight?
    B) Well ultimately it depends on the wielder but if I had to pick one I'd say Excalibur. I think Mjonir is typically considered to be at its best in Thor's hands and no others. Excalibur seems less bonded to just one wielder (heck in a Thundercats episode even Mumm-Ra was able to use it and it was as powerful as ever).

C) From what little I understand of Norse myth Mjolnir is shorter than a normal war hammer because its handle broke during its construction. So any environment where you have plenty of room to move and aren't closed in would favour Excalibur for better range.

D) Excalibur. Partly because I'm a sword geek but also because I'd struggle just to lift Mjolnir.
    Last edited by hareluyafan1; 02-14-2021 at 05:08 PM.

E-Liter3K Scoped Headshot The MunchKING's Avatar

Excaliber was the 7th best Sword in Disgaea, SECOND Best in Disgaea 2, and back down to 6th for Disgaea D2. Also it's routinely the most powerful sword in Final Fantasys, which also gives it some serious clout.

EDIT: Thor's Hammer shows up in far fewer Final Fantasys, but despite me remembering it as a mid-tier gear in Final Fantasy, It was apparently the second best hammer. That's more a sign hammers themselves were garbage in the first Final Fantasy. It got some actually decent stats by FFV though.
    Last edited by The MunchKING; 02-14-2021 at 07:20 PM.
    The MunchKING is Back! And he is AWSOME!

I was just thinking about which was the better weapon. I'm sure there are versions of Excalibur that can cut through absolutely anything but, as far as I know, Mjolnir beats even that if only because Excalibur is designed to be wielded by a mortal king while Mjolnir gains it's full potential when wielded by a very powerful god.

I've heard it said that Excalibur is almost a trick to distract people from the fact that the scabbard is the truly wondrous magical artifact because it makes the wearer invulnerable?
    Power with Girl is better.

E-Liter3K Scoped Headshot The MunchKING's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    I've heard it said that Excalibur is almost a trick to distract people from the fact that the scabbard is the truly wondrous magical artifact because it makes the wearer invulnerable?
    Either "Unable to lose battles" or "Heals all wounds" is the versions of the scabbard I remember hearing about.
    The MunchKING is Back! And he is AWSOME!

Quote Originally Posted by hareluyafan1 View Post
    B) Well ultimately it depends on the wielder but if I had to pick one I'd say Excalibur. I think Mjonir is typically considered to be at its best in Thor's hands and no others. Excalibur seems less bonded to just one wielder (heck in a Thundercats episode even Mumm-Ra was able to use it and it was as powerful as ever).

C) From what little I understand of Norse myth Mjolnir is shorter than a normal war hammer because its handle broke during its construction. So any environment where you have plenty of room to move and aren't closed in would favour Excalibur for better range.

D) Excalibur. Partly because I'm a sword geek but also because I'd struggle just to lift Mjolnir.
    The thing is that with Marvel Mjolnir in the mix, the wielder actually becomes Thor. So the only real issue is if the wielder would be worthy of it, which I feel like would be assumed by the nature of the thread. Actually, with the Aaron stuff I'm not even sure it matters because Mjolnir/the Mother Storm seem to pretty much have a will of their own. If it is on your side it can just auto attack hour enemies and such.

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

I'm trying to think of the strongest version of Excalibur... maybe the one from Fate/Extella which is allegedly a WMD on par with the Sword of Mars and was used to chase away Sephyr millenia before it came into Arthur's/Artoria's stewardship, implying that it's true power is on the EX level, but even then it doesn't have any onscreen feats for that. That said, even the baseline 616 Mjolnir without the Mother Storm or Rune Thor's power backing it up would probably treat Sephyr, or even the Velber ship (to whom Sephyr is basically a scout) like a punk in terms of power and versatility so I'm leaning towards that.

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    There most certainly are some ridiculous versions of Excalibur.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    The thing is that with Marvel Mjolnir in the mix, the wielder actually becomes Thor. So the only real issue is if the wielder would be worthy of it, which I feel like would be assumed by the nature of the thread. Actually, with the Aaron stuff I'm not even sure it matters because Mjolnir/the Mother Storm seem to pretty much have a will of their own. If it is on your side it can just auto attack hour enemies and such.
    It just now occurred to me that Marvel Mjolnir actually uses a quality of Excalibur, that only a worthy or the worthy person can lift it/ draw it from a boulder. So now you've got the issue of one blatantly being given attributes of the other by a later writer.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    It just now occurred to me that Marvel Mjolnir actually uses a quality of Excalibur, that only a worthy or the worthy person can lift it/ draw it from a boulder. So now you've got the issue of one blatantly being given attributes of the other by a later writer.
    Yeah, I almost mentioned this as a relevant consideration but AFAIK that only applied to removing it from the stone, and any rake could use it afterwards. Where as Mjolnir has a barrier of entry to anyone who tries to pick it up. But I can't see the point in discussing it as a weapon if it isn't being wielded. Even if it is wielding itself.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Excalibur wasn't the sword in the stone.

In most versions, Excalibur was a gift to Arthur from the Lady of the Lake. Different sword entirely.

Not sure how much of this was the sword or how much was Saber

Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.