Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    spoilers:
    Okay because it surprised me when he transformed into Swamp Thing, got ripped apart, and then just returned to being a person again later. I just thought he would attempt to reconstitute like Holland has in the past and be stuck as Swamp Thing, so interesting distinction between Holland and Levi.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    The 'swamp thing' has been an avatar of The Green going back to Moore, not so much a superhero mantle. Depending on how Ram V chooses to play this out, Levi would be the first to use the role in such a way (i.e. having a secret identity).
    end of spoilers
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    spoilers:
    The 'swamp thing' has been an avatar of The Green going back to Moore, not so much a superhero mantle. Depending on how Ram V chooses to play this out, Levi would be the first to use the role in such a way (i.e. having a secret identity).
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Well, classic Swampy had a "secret identity" in the sense for how long it took before people realized he was "Alec Holland."
    end of spoilers

Sure, but intention is obviously different here.

Finally got around reading the issue, I liked it. As for transformation, we are not shown yet what happened, but it is mentioned that his brother made a "dark bargain" so I think it is possible that this Swamp Thing was created in different way and as such has a bit different properties.

Ram V is doing an AMA on reddit right now if you want to ask questions

https://www.reddit.com/r/DCcomics/co...e_league_dark/
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Glad to hear Levi is still within the Green, possibly still learning from Alec. However I don’t like the sound of that whole contagion thing, can’t be good news.

The Swamp Thing #4

written by Ram V
    art by Mike Perkins
    cover by Mike Perkins AND Mike Spicer
    card stock variant cover by Gerardo
    Zaffino
    ON SALE 6/1/2021
    $3.99 US | 32 PAGES | FC | DC
    card stock variant cover $4.99 US | FC | DC

Still trapped within the Green, Levi and Jennifer have encountered its denizens, both friendly and vile. But something is terribly wrong within the Green itself, and its origins may be closer to home than Levi thinks. As Swamp Thing, he must now use lessons learned to embrace his power and bring peace. But is he already too late? Have the seeds of discontent already been planted for the contagion to enter our world?
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Ram V showing why he’s the best writer currently working at DC. Give him a major franchise title already.
    Last edited by Shadowcat; 03-18-2021 at 10:30 PM.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Ram V showing why he’s the best writer currently working at DC. Give him a major franchise title already.
    That's my gut reaction too, but when I think about it I'd rather he stay with the C-listers. He's gonna get more freedom to tell Swamp Thing or Catwoman stories the way he wants to (without editorial interference) than if he's on Detective or Action.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    That's my gut reaction too, but when I think about it I'd rather he stay with the C-listers. He's gonna get more freedom to tell Swamp Thing or Catwoman stories the way he wants to (without editorial interference) than if he's on Detective or Action.
    True, but imagine what he could do with the Flash or Aquaman? Maybe we’d get a story about Arthur that isn’t leading to him losing his throne, or war between the surface and Atlantis?
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    True, but imagine what he could do with the Flash or Aquaman? Maybe we’d get a story about Arthur that isn’t leading to him losing his throne, or war between the surface and Atlantis?
    Fair point, he'd be great on Aquaman. I guess in a short period of time I've already pigeonholed him into "the supernatural guy". I think he'd also be great on any of the old Vertigo characters - Animal Man, Shade, Black Orchid...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

https://aiptcomics.com/2021/04/02/dc...swamp-thing-2/

New preview out, looks like Levi has keep having reoccurring night transformations where he runs into the Pale Wanderer. Not sure if he’s on purpose doing it or the green is sending him there, but looks like he recognizes that he probably has to deal with it.
    Words to live by.

Issue 2 is out and I think what I learned from it is that we are probably going to see that Ram V might tie Levi into more classic Alec stories.

spoilers:
    We learn that the people following Levi and taking his pictures is Prescot Industries, but they merged and acquisition the Sunderland Corporation.
    end of spoilers
    Words to live by.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Do all Swamp Thing fans hate Doug Wheeler's run on the title?

There's almost nothing about this guy's run on the internet, just whispers about how bad it supposedly is. Which is suprising considering that he took over from Rick Veitch after the aborted issue 88, a controversy that overshadowed both Veitch and Wheeler's work on the book.

Personally I found his run inferior to Moore and Veitch's but still very above average in relation to the other DC titles at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    Do all Swamp Thing fans hate Doug Wheeler's run on the title?

There's almost nothing about this guy's run on the internet, just whispers about how bad it supposedly is. Which is suprising considering that he took over from Rick Veitch after the aborted issue 88, a controversy that overshadowed both Veitch and Wheeler's work on the book.

Personally I found his run inferior to Moore and Veitch's but still very above average in relation to the other DC titles at the time.
    I don't hate it.

As you said, it's mostly just overshadowed by what came before (and really, after). He did get some of the most beautiful covers the series had ever seen, though...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

Really enjoying the new Swamp Thing under Ram V. I’m intrigued by the nature of the transformation, how does he have two forms, and also it it looks like Ram’s bringing in some classic Swamp Thing lore based off the ending to issue 2.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/