Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jewel Runner View Post
    It's not shifting goalposts because you can't make your case
    The only good version of Miles has been from ITSzv has been nothing but boring garbage kept around because Marvel liked to give Bendus whatever he wanted
    This is a Double Standard.

The fact that Peter is an older character means that it's easier to cherry pick stories. I had the same problem Kraven. People talk about him as though he's the best thing ever but the only notable story he was in featured his death.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post

The fact that Peter is an older character means that it's easier to cherry pick stories. I had the same problem Kraven. People talk about him as though he's the best thing ever but the only notable story he was in featured his death.
    I thought Kraven was an effective villain before his death.

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I've accepted Spider-Man is what it is a fun but ultimately meaningless ride in which nothing much will ever change or progress for long before a reset. I'm no longer emotionally invested in the characters and I really haven't been since OMD. But I do like a good mindless adventure story to distract from the horrors of this world.

While I enjoyed 80% of it, I was disappointed by the lackluster ending of Last Remains, I'd be lying if I said otherwise.
    Damn, I think the last "serious" Spider-Man story that I read was The Gauntlet, and that came out 11 years ago. It had that long tense buildup you would get in older Spider-Man books. I miss that stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberstrike View Post

3) One of the things that Stan Lee did was he allowed Peter to age in the Silver Age, he got his powers in high school, graduated high school, then went to and graduated college, he fell in love got married, and had a daughter, and Aunt May died. So why keep Peter Parker stuck as basically a 20 something man child especially when that role can filled by Miguel O'Hara, Ben Reilly, Miles Morales, Jessica Drew, Gwen Stacy, Cindy Moon, or any of the other Spider based superheroes.
    Man how many genius millionaire characters does Marvel have? Has to be 50 at this point....seems every character is one now.

I would be perfectly fine if Miles and all the other Spider-people went away and never came back. There's just far too many people web swinging around and all it does is make Peter less unique.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    I would be perfectly fine if Miles and all the other Spider-people went away and never came back. There's just far too many people web swinging around and all it does is make Peter less unique.
    So the problem is Peter? hmmm....

More seriously, the plots surrounding Peter lately have been too repetitive. It's time to see someone else screw up their life.

Astonishing Member

For me, rotate the cast and rogues with those from other Marvel Editorial Departments. For each publication year, The Spider-Office should loan out their Spidey supporting cast and rogues to other Marvel Editorial for the use of other characters for one year. For example, the Spider-Office should loan out Black Cat for Black Widow and Tigra. Norman Osborn for The Leader and Abomination. If they can mix things up, that would make me take another look at ASM...

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    For me, rotate the cast and rogues with those from other Marvel Editorial Departments. For each publication year, The Spider-Office should loan out their Spidey supporting cast and rogues to other Marvel Editorial for the use of other characters for one year. For example, the Spider-Office should loan out Black Cat for Black Widow and Tigra. Norman Osborn for The Leader and Abomination. If they can mix things up, that would make me take another look at ASM...
    Other than your odd Spider-man/Black Widow obsession, that's really not that bad of an idea.

Lose OMD and OMIT, and Marvel make an apology for doing that kind of a reboot to Spider-Man along with a promise never to do it again.

And bring back Anna Maria Marconi and Paper Doll.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Peter doesn't need to be unique. That's not important to the concept.

BANNED

I fail to see the double standard here.
    One character has an interesting personality, amd notable stories, the other is miles.

So the problem is Peter? hmmm....

More seriously, the plots surrounding Peter lately have been too repetitive. It's time to see someone else screw up their life.
    Don't act like the others are actually doing anything unique or interesting when they're not, it's funny you bring up double standards when you claim Peter's the repetitive one when Miles is about to rehash the Clone Saga and lately Gwen's been rehashing the symbiote suit story

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I've accepted Spider-Man is what it is a fun but ultimately meaningless ride in which nothing much will ever change or progress for long before a reset... But I do like a good mindless adventure story to distract from the horrors of this world.

While I enjoyed 80% of it, I was disappointed by the lackluster ending of Last Remains, I'd be lying if I said otherwise.
    I’ve been a little slow with the current run, I’m only in the middle of the Sin Eater story, so I can’t comment on Last Remains yet, but pretty much everything this guy says. I know I will never again have the feeling I got reading 80’s Spidey, Early 90’s Spidey, but I have come back to some stuff I truly enjoyed. And along the ride of great story stops, there have been some flops and duds and drops, and that’s ok. I don’t have a problem with OMD or BND or even that wretched Sins Past was it? With Gwen banging Ole’ Norman Green G? That was wild, but I just like a good story here and there.

I also read a lot of independent stuff now from other publishers and find that some of the best stories being told nowadays are there now. But yeah, I like Peter to progress, would love to see Miles progress. I wouldn’t think anything wrong if you finally killed the old lady off and left it at such for quite some time or forever, if that’s even possible. I like Pete and MJ married. I wouldn’t mind them having a kid. I thought the initial Renew Your Vows stuff was brilliant. And I’m really not a fan of big events. Unfortunately, for Marvel, it’s a must do. I’m sure all those extra .1 or LH or LR issues are more of an editorial thing, to squeeze more out of a concept. And when you have a good story like Absolute Carnage and it’s bogged down by a bunch of needless tie-ins it hurts the overall narrative. But that’s where we are. There isn’t a way around all that. I’ll probably keep reading Spidey as long as I’m here, sometimes it will be bad, hopefully not most of the time.

I don't think there is anything that can be done to bring me back to reading new issues of Spider-Man.

One More Day was a trainwreck, putting it mildly, but Brand New Day was the best Spidey had been in a long time. I don't think you really needed OMD to get there but it's what we got.

Incredible Member Unspeakable Evil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    Peter doesn't need to be unique. That's not important to the concept.
    Yeah the idea the idea that having less spider people would be good for the the spider books isn’t one I’m sure about.

Spectacular Member

The problem with Spider Man is that is basically broken, by gimmicks like the marriage and the clone saga. Too much changes brought him too far from the original concept that made him successful. Look at all the other heroes, their concept still stands, Batman is a rich broody man always seeking revenge for their parents death, daredevil a blind catholic man with a deep sense of justice and a lawyer, the FF a family of sci-fi adventurers and so on. Even the née Hickman X-Men, despite the big changes, maintain their original concept, they fight for survival in a world here they are a feared / hated minority. Spider Man has lost the Daily Bugle and its cast, changed too many jobs, had too many girlfriends, his connection to May has become too tenuous, the book cast has changed so much nobody knows what to do with them. Spider Man is successful when he is a unlucky guy, short on money, smart but forced to be a part time photographer because of his spider man duties, with a bad public image caused by the very newspaper he works for, always worried for her aunt. And now he is nothing of that anymore.