Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Yeah, that was the most insufferable part of Superior Spider-Man besides Otto Octavius's ego, that somehow everyone who knew Peter/Spider-Man in his day-to-day lives could just shrug off Otto's incredibly uncharacteristic behavior as Peter and Spidey, and even the people who knew him best, like Mary Jane and Aunt May, somehow couldn't tell Otto wasn't really Peter.
    I remember being in a comic store talking to someone about Spider-Man not long after Spider-Verse was going on, and listing that as my main issue with Superior. That it made the people who were supposed to know Peter look foolish that they couldn't tell just how off "Peter" was acting.

Quote Originally Posted by evolutionaryFan View Post
    Yeah, I mean how is this going to work? If they're going to keep Peter in college forever, does that mean Miles will be in high school forever...
    Now you hit on the crux of the problem. If Miles and his generation continue to slowly age (they've actually aged up quite a bit by comic book standards in recent years) logically in a shared continuity so must Peter and his generation, unless Marvel outright de-ages Pete at some point. This is why I joke Peter will eventually end up the same age as Miles or maybe even a tad younger

Edit - While a loser twenty-something pushing thirty Peter Parker is arguably funny a loser thirtysomething pushing forty Peter Parker is just sad. That status quo has been rendered unsustainable long-term with the addition of Miles and 65-Gwen. The situation reminds me of how Kevin Smith said he was reluctant to do a third Clerks (he has since brought the characters back but given them a younger generation to play off) because Jay & Silent Bob in their forties or around fifty hanging out at the convenience store and mall selling drugs doing nothing new would have been "pathetic, not humorous".
    Last edited by Celgress; 02-22-2021 at 06:44 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

BANNED

Yeah, that was the most insufferable part of Superior Spider-Man besides Otto Octavius's ego, that somehow everyone who knew Peter/Spider-Man in his day-to-day lives could just shrug off Otto's incredibly uncharacteristic behavior as Peter and Spidey, and even the people who knew him best, like Mary Jane and Aunt May, somehow couldn't tell Otto wasn't really Peter.
    It's especially glaring when Chameleon the guy whose entire gimmick is to impersonate people, impersonated Peter two different times to Aunt May and Mary Jane and within minutes of talking to him they both knew he wasn't Peter and respectively drugged him and beat him near death with a bat, but when Doc Ock impersonates Peter and puts utterly no effort into being convincing they somehow don't see anything wrong.

I'm a huge fan of Superior (it brought me back to reading Spidey comics post-OMD), but, even I admit that was bunk. I've seldom seen such a huge gaping plot hole you could pilot a jet linear through for the sake of the da story in any fiction.
    Last edited by Celgress; 02-22-2021 at 06:58 PM.

When Nick Spencer leaves the title.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jewel Runner View Post
    It's especially glaring when Chameleon the guy whose entire gimmick is to impersonate people, impersonated Peter two different times to Aunt May and Mary Jane and within minutes of talking to him they both knew he wasn't Peter and respectively drugged him and beat him near death with a bat, but when Doc Ock impersonates Peter and puts utterly no effort into being convincing they somehow don't see anything wrong.
    While I understand what you're saying, I like to pretend those moments never happened because of how cartoonish they were.

Not them figuring out that Peter wasn't Peter. That was fine. What annoyed me was them beating supervillains on their own. That was just ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    While I understand what you're saying, I like to pretend those moments never happened because of how cartoonish they were.

Not them figuring out that Peter wasn't Peter. That was fine. What annoyed me was them beating supervillains on their own. That was just ridiculous.
    Yeah, I never like them beating villains unassisted either. IMO, losing to a normie unless there is some sort of outside event or interference makes an established supervillain look weak & foolish. They are no longer a credible threat in such cases. I'm extremely leery of civilian supporting characters getting their own comics for this very reason.
    Last edited by Celgress; 02-22-2021 at 08:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Yeah, I never like them beating villains unassisted either. IMO, losing to a normie unless there is so sort of outside event or interference makes an established supervillain look weak & foolish. They are no longer a credible threat in such cases. I'm extremely leery of civilian supporting characters getting their own comics for this very reason.
    Just think of it like a Jojo battle where everything is situational.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Just think of it like a Jojo battle where everything is situational.
    Perhaps, but, I doubt I'll ever like or approve of such nerfed wins either way.

Perhaps, but, I doubt I'll ever like or approve of such nerfed wins either way.
    It's all situational. Jotaro went toe to toe with a vampire who had the ability to stop time, and later he got his ass kicked by a rat.

It's all situational. Jotaro went toe to toe with a vampire who had the ability to stop time, and later he got his ass kicked by a rat.
    You keep saying that and I don't approve of civilians beating supervillains because it devalues the villain (especially if it happens more than once). We'll have to agree to disagree on this point.

You keep saying that and I don't approve of civilians beating supervillains because it devalues the villain (especially if it happens more than once). We'll have to agree to disagree on this point.
    Powers aren't what make a story interesting. It's elements like character and theme that make a story interesting. Battles are just a part of the story. And if it's right for the story to have a civilian defeat a super villain, then so be it.

Powers aren't what make a story interesting. It's elements like character and theme that make a story interesting. Battles are just a part of the story. And if it's right for the story to have a civilian defeat a super villain, then so be it.
    I disagree, but, to each their own.

Astonishing Member

That's the problem; it wasn't right. It trivializes a lot of supervillains if they're defeated so easily. What do we need Peter for then?

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    That's the problem; it wasn't right. It trivializes a lot of supervillains if they're defeated so easily. What do we need Peter for then?
    If you get right down to it, Peter's on the low-end of the power spectrum in the Marvel Universe. Why do you need Peter at all when you have characters like the Silver Surfer and Thor around?