Mighty Member

Default Clone Wars ending in 2020

I'm currently watching Clone Wars and it's great. 2008-2015 is 7 seasons which is the number of the show. Why was there a gap to 2020?

After Disney acquired the license for Star Wars, Clone Wars was basically canceled until fan demand and the need for content on Disney+ inspired giving it a final season.

The series was semi-canceled when Disney took over. However, a half-season was finished and released-which basically semi-explained Order 66. There were unfinished episodes. Part of these were finished as the Disney + final season (Bad Batch), although some were not-Dark Disciple was adapted as a novel.

Here's a better explanation. https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/The_Clone_Wars_Legacy
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    The series was semi-canceled when Disney took over. However, a half-season was finished and released-which basically semi-explained Order 66. There were unfinished episodes. Part of these were finished as the Disney + final season (Bad Batch), although some were not-Dark Disciple was adapted as a novel.

Here's a better explanation. https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/The_Clone_Wars_Legacy
    Thanks, yeah that helped. I'm currently in season 3. Does it feel jarring story with the episodes that weren't completed/shown because of the cancellation? I find it odd that Disney would've cancelled it, considering that's one of their crown jewels.

The series wasn't really Disney's to begin with, but Lucasfilm's. When they took over they largely sort of started to rearrange the Expanded Universe stuff and marketing (Detours, a comedy series in production, was also put on hold and is pretty much on indefinete hiatus) but eventually decided to keep the CG Clone Wars as part of the canon. They did eventually release the finished episodes from season 6 on Netflix (possibly on Cartoon Network?). Rebels, season 7, Bad Batch and Resistance are all theirs though.

iMan 42s

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    Thanks, yeah that helped. I'm currently in season 3. Does it feel jarring story with the episodes that weren't completed/shown because of the cancellation? I find it odd that Disney would've cancelled it, considering that's one of their crown jewels.
    I think Cartoon Network held the rights to it for awhile so Disney didn't want to produce episodes for a competitor and had it pulled. They also wanted a quick return on the investment so it makes a bit more sense to start fresh rather than on a project they didn't entirely own at the time. According to Daniel Logan (apparently) the Boba Fett episodes had been cut over how graphic the show was getting and Disney at the time wasn't used to that though this hasn't been substantiated. Remaining episodes got dumped onto Netflix and Disney would later gain full rights to the show and give Filoni a final season.
    Another potential issue is that Filoni just kept going with it resulting in a show they didn't really know how to end. The show was constantly on the verge of being cancelled for one reason or another (which also looks bad to the new owners) so without a proper direction for Clone Wars and debatable worth of keeping it going they probably just didn't have anything to work with on top of everything else.

The show did have a lot of praise after the fact (tends to be a trend with Star Wars) which kept it around Netflix and with all the support it got convinced someone at Disney to greenlight a revival so Filoni can actually end the series this time. That's also why Rebels and Resistance ran the way they did. Filoni just kept going on Clone Wars so he had to be a bit smaller with how big the shows would get. That's why with Resistance it was where and how long it was.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Mighty Member

I'm guessing Disney/Lucasfilm was giving Filoni some story direction for Rebels/Resistance which is good that it runs for less than Clone Wars. Gives the story a tighter focus. Yeah so far in Season 2, it does feel at times that it's just kind of aimlessly going in a direction with no clear focus but it's still pretty good. I'm assuming Season 6/7 get better in that regard. As for some positives, I love Ahsoka Tano. Such a great character and her interaction with Anakin is great. Anakin and Obi-Wan get some really good development that the movies don't give enough time for which is nice. Which makes Anakins fall to the dark side even more tragic. Rex is a great character also

There was some tension between the earlier Clone Wars seasons and the stuff Del Rey and Dark Horse were writing about the wars/Jedi/Mandalorians at the same time that kind of contradicted each other (long, complicated story). Once Disney took over they kind of streamlined things a bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    I'm guessing Disney/Lucasfilm was giving Filoni some story direction for Rebels/Resistance which is good that it runs for less than Clone Wars. Gives the story a tighter focus. Yeah so far in Season 2, it does feel at times that it's just kind of aimlessly going in a direction with no clear focus but it's still pretty good. I'm assuming Season 6/7 get better in that regard. As for some positives, I love Ahsoka Tano. Such a great character and her interaction with Anakin is great. Anakin and Obi-Wan get some really good development that the movies don't give enough time for which is nice. Which makes Anakins fall to the dark side even more tragic. Rex is a great character also
    Clone Wars was kind of a sprawling war saga, so I felt like it made sense the story jumped around as much as it did. The only real throughpoint was getting from Attack of the Clones to Revenge of the Sith, which left them a lot of leeway.