Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default DC's Thor, Odin and Hercules

Should DC utilize these characters more?

I know they just show up once every few years in some cameos in Wonder Woman books. But I think they should be used a bit more than that. Have Thor and Wonder Woman team up every once in a while or something. Doesn't make sense that they just never do anything.

Hercules could factor into Diana's story (due to being siblings) but I think DC should avoid Odin and Thor since those are pretty big Marvel characters now. there are thousands of cultures with thousands of legendary heroes and gods in mythology, they should focus on other cultural icons. they could have Sun Wu Kong, Kalu Akanu, Shango, Anansi, fill a Thor like role. ideally they should just build up Thunderer, he's already Australian Aborigine Thor.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 02-15-2021 at 12:06 AM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    Hercules could factor into Diana's story (due to being siblings) but I think DC should avoid Odin and Thor since those are pretty big Marvel characters now. there are thousands of cultures with thousands of legendary heroes and gods in mythology, they should focus on other cultural icons. they could have Sun Wu Kong, Kalu Akanu, Shang, Anansi, fill a Thor like role. ideally they should just build up Thunderer, he's already Australian Aborigine Thor.
    Their is also the African Thunder god Shango from the Firestorm and Justice League books.

Quote Originally Posted by LifeIsILL View Post
    Should DC utilize these characters more?

I know they just show up once every few years in some cameos in Wonder Woman books. But I think they should be used a bit more than that. Have Thor and Wonder Woman team up every once in a while or something. Doesn't make sense that they just never do anything.
    While it won't exactly be what you seem to be suggesting?

I think that something along this line might be coming up.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonewolf36 View Post
    Their is also the African Thunder god Shango from the Firestorm and Justice League books.

yeah, I meant to say Shango not Shang, but I didn't know he was used relatively recently. I remember he appeared once a long time ago (I wanna say the 70s). but I would like to see DC build characters like Shango or Thunderer if they want a Thor type. although, I think they should go with a mythological character of a different element; to avoid feeling too imposter-y.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

currently following:
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

Hercules could factor into Diana's story (due to being siblings) but I think DC should avoid Odin and Thor since those are pretty big Marvel characters now. there are thousands of cultures with thousands of legendary heroes and gods in mythology, they should focus on other cultural icons. they could have Sun Wu Kong, Kalu Akanu, Shango, Anansi, fill a Thor like role. ideally they should just build up Thunderer, he's already Australian Aborigine Thor.
    I agree with everything except Thunderer. I think that people would just look at him as a Thor-lite and DC already has Zeus with thunder visual. So I'd prefer if they focused on gods like Anansi that are both cool and rather unique.

No I don't if i'm being honest, DC has their own gods and those in particular are kinda boring in the DCU. I'd prefer if they'd tackle a lesser known/used mythologies if they're gonna go that route.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    I agree with everything except Thunderer. I think that people would just look at him as a Thor-lite and DC already has Zeus with thunder visual. So I'd prefer if they focused on gods like Anansi that are both cool and rather unique.
    I meant Thunderer would be ideal if they want a one to one Thor analog, he wouldn't be my idea pick over all. I would like Shango, if only because the nature of Nigerian culture and mythology allows for more creative routes, beyond his Thor similarities, with him if DC knows where to look. I also have been a BIG big proponent of DC bringing in Anansi from Static Shock as a Thor like character using their existing version of the god Anansi in canon.

Last edited by lemonpeace; 02-15-2021 at 02:48 AM.

currently following:

another candidate: Ya'wara. She debuted as part of Aquaman's Others team (terrible team name) and is kinda like an Aquaman of the rainforest. She's has animal empathy and control over jaguars and feral beast. apparently she's also the Amazonian goddess of Jaguars, so they could easily build on her and have her be like a Thor type. She could develop into regular team ups with Yara Flor Wonder Girl/Wonder Woman.

could use a redesigned costume tho.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 02-15-2021 at 02:47 AM.

currently following:

apparently she's also the Amazonian goddess of Jaguars
    When did that happen? I read initial arc by Johns and Others series, but I don't remember her being a deity. And yeah, their team name was ridiculous.

She could develop a regular team ups with Yara Flor Wonder Girl/Wonder Woman.
    That sounds like an obvious thing to do... so sadly it won't happen.

There are enough differences between the mythical versions and the versions that Marvel uses that DC can tell different stories with them which are closer to the myths. Though I rather these two serve supporting characters in someone else's book or as a guest star rather than protagonists of their own books. Heracles is already a Wonder Woman villain and he could easily be a bigger deal than he is treated with. They are delving into Norse Mythology in one of the WW books as well.

Hercules should probably be used more.
    He did have his own series briefly, and had his own action figure.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Incredible Member

dc thor died during ragnarok with supes and ww.

supes armed with mjolnir ,then ended the war. thor ,of course came back to life to reclaim back his hammer after supes do all the hard work.

hercules plagued wonder woman on and off over the years. can't remember odin having any kind of presence in dc , at least zeus or hera appeared on the quintessence team. dc's loki appeared briefly in war of the gods.

Spectacular Member

dc should stop using the roman name and instead stay on the greek brand and call Hercules, Heracles.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    Hercules should probably be used more.
    He did have his own series briefly, and had his own action figure.
    I’m a Hercules Unbound fan. I know DC’s played w. other versions but he’s my favorite.
    Even Walt Simonson had a pre-Thor go at him in the seventies.

Last edited by Riv86672; 02-15-2021 at 06:05 AM.