Default Comic Book Cover Art Concepts

After participating in the Cover Contest for some time, I reasoned out there are types or categories of Comic Book Cover Art. Does this sound about right?

• Abstract
    • Artistic
    • Emotional [Evoking Strong Emotions]
    • Homage
    • Humorous/Parody
    • Portrait
    • Retro
    • Story-based
    • Symbolic

Does this make sense? Did I leave anything out?
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    After participating in the Cover Contest for some time, I reasoned out there are types or categories of Comic Book Cover Art. Does this sound about right?

• Abstract
    • Artistic
    • Emotional [Evoking Strong Emotions]
    • Homage
    • Humorous/Parody
    • Portrait
    • Retro
    • Story-based
    • Symbolic

Does this make sense? Did I leave anything out?
    I think this is an excellent list, but wish to add that one or more of these concepts may apply to any particular cover.

We might also add the list Carmine Infantino used with seven items guaranteed to sell a comic. I'm sure one of our more educated comic historians here can provide a suitable copy for us. I look for ward to this discussion. Thank you for your observations.

Astonishing Member

Don't forget "Misleading". A lot of dimes were spent to buy comics off the spinner racks based on contents that were implied on the cover but that were never delivered in the stories.

Maybe one more could be 'metaphorical?' Where the cover isn't necessarily 'abstract' but a collage or something represents stuff that happens. I think I'm envisioning some Vertigo covers or something.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post
    Don't forget "Misleading". A lot of dimes were spent to buy comics off the spinner racks based on contents that were implied on the cover but that were never delivered in the stories.
    And the spin-off “cover first, story later” genre, where whatever crazy, insane nonsense that could be made into an image was put on the cover, and then the writer was ordered to backwards extrapolate some kind of story to feature it, no matter how stupid or contrived it would be.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post
    Agreed. My favorite is Web of Spider-Man #63. I remember editorial receiving quite a few angry letters (LOL):

Last edited by K7P5V; 02-15-2021 at 09:48 PM. Reason: Added Clarification.