Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Batman Beyond was my jam.

I look forward to rewatching him in August and October.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

So Terry does have an appreciation thread, was curious why he wasn’t one of the more popular characters in the Batforum. I’ll check this new Batman Beyond series out, Jurgens isn’t to my taste, but I like what I’ve read of Lanzig & Kelly so far. Also want them to do that S&L: Ignition pitch one day, so rooting for them to succeed.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Mighty Member

You know i have been pretty much tied to Marvel just for Gambit for so long but that ain’t going so well. I wanted to give DC some chance. I don’t really want to read any of the justice League stuff as there’s too much lore and everyone gonna say “now you gotta read this or that etc” so I wanted to find a story that is semi contained as it’s own thing and will give off some good masculine superhero but kicking energy with some suspense and twists. I remembered I liked Batman Beyond as a cartoon series. Over time I learned to appreciate just how good of a show it was compared to others. Now Batman Beyond and X-men Evolution are 2 of my favorite comic shows.

So I guess what I am asking is can you guys give me your thoughts on Batman Beyond comics? I really enjoyed Terry in the show. Is he the Batman in the comics? And if so is still the same? Do you recommend I check out his series?

The answer is a bit tricky. There have been multiple Batman Beyond series, and generally (with one exception) they featured Terry.

The first series started in 1999, first with a six issue limited series, followed by an ongoing series that lasted 24 issues (into 2001). It was very much a direct continuation of the animated series. I think that was it until 2010, when another 6-issue limited series ran ("Hush Beyond"). It was a more adult or edgier take on the character than the previous series. If I recall correctly, this led to an ongoing series in 2011. It lasted 8 issues until New 52 killed it off. It was very much in the mode of "Hush Beyond."

In 2012, it became a digital-first series, which was then collected in "Batman Beyond Unlimited" (which also included stories of "Justice League Beyond" and "Superman Beyond"--set in the Batman Beyond Universe). Unlimited ran for 18 issues in 2012 and 2013 and is well worth reading. It was still basically based in the Animated Series universe, but with that harder edge to it.

From there, it morphed into Batman Beyond Universe (2013 to 2015). 16 issues and, for a time it feature both Batman and Justice League Beyond until it finally became all-Batman again. It's okay, but I didn't enjoy it as much as Unlimited (personal taste).

And that's when everything changed. DC decided to make Batman Beyond part of the "main" DC Universe (instead of being in the animated universe) and it did this with the miniseries "Future's End"--which involved the "main universe" Terry coming back in time to stop a disaster that forms his future (which is MUCH darker & grimmer than the future of the prior series). Spoiler Alert: spoilers:
    That Terry dies in Future's End and Tim Drake takes over the costume and jumps into a future that is not the one Terry came from but rather is the altered future that they created by their actions.
    end of spoilers This ends up in a new series of Batman Beyond in 2015-2016 for 16 issues, that feature Tim Drake in the costume. It depends how you feel about Drake, but it was pretty bad.

But it led to DC Rebirth and a new series of Batman Beyond that ran for 50 issues (2016-2021) with Terry back in the costume. I really liked it but admittedly after the Drake mess, it was always going to be better. Technically it is set in the alternate future from Futures End, not the animated series universe, but a lot of the elements of the original series were retained or re-introduced. I recommend it highly!
    "Age is not defined by years, but by regrets...I'm an old man now." --Fighting Yank, "Project Superpowers"

Mighty Member

Hey very cool. Thanks for the in depth answer. It pretty much covers a lot of my curiousities. I don’t have interest in the Tim Drake series, simply because Terry specifically I found very interesting. I loved how even though he was being mentored he was always his own Batman. He seemed to understand that “duty of the cowl” but had his own personality and his own way of figuring out problems. Having Bruce as your Alfred is always a plus but at the end of the day Terry had his own code.

I’m definitely hoping for some dark stories but wouldn’t be opposed to others. I don’t want it too grim dark and depressing like Tom King wrote Batman. I want some energy and maybe some youthful optimism. Not some jaded over the hill Batman who sounds emo half the time. I hope I can get some entertainment out of this.

Keep leaving stuff you like about the character or series you think I should prioritize

Batman: Urban Legends #7 features a story featuring Terry McGinnis and serving as a starting point for the forthcoming Batman Beyond: Neo-Year #1, scheduled for April 2022.

First things first, it looks like we are changing timelines again. The earlier series were set in what has been dubbed Earth-12. Certainly, the issues from 1999 to 2001 were on Earth-12, and arguably everything up to 2015 was set there. The post-Futures End series (basically 2015 through 2021), however, was set in a future that originally was a (incredibly boring) post-apocalyptic dystopia. While the seres eventually (and wisely) shook off the dystopia part, it was still a future where Terry's mother was dead. And (for reasons never explained) Barbara Gordon grew younger. But the Urban Legends/Neo-Year story shows Mary McGinnis alive and healthy and Barbara Gordon has white hair again.

So are we back on Earth-12? Maybe, maybe not. But for certain we cannot assume the events of the post-Futures End run happened in the Neo-Year future.

This is one of the troubles with the way DC mishandles Batman Beyond. We have multiple versions of Dick Grayson and the Joker, which are vastly different depending on which series you are reading. Still, as long as Terry is Terry, I am okay with it. And the Terry of Urban Legends is definitely Terry.
    "Age is not defined by years, but by regrets...I'm an old man now." --Fighting Yank, "Project Superpowers"

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tulku View Post

This is one of the troubles with the way DC mishandles Batman Beyond. We have multiple versions of Dick Grayson and the Joker, which are vastly different depending on which series you are reading. Still, as long as Terry is Terry, I am okay with it. And the Terry of Urban Legends is definitely Terry.
    That’s actually one of the reasons I wanted to start Batman Beyond. I wanted it to be about one character that is consistently the same hero rather than have a team book that rotates or a character that is being rotated out as the main hero of a solo book or something.

Mighty Member

So I just finished the first limited series and I’m starting the ongoing. I’m on like issue 7.

But just wanted to give my thoughts ok the limited. Overall it was cool. As was mentioned it really is a continuation of the animated series. I’m torn on the artwork. On the one hand it’s really beautiful but on the other I feel it doesn’t quite capture that dark underground tone that the animated series had. The series was really good with feeling kinda gothic and stuff. Overall I would give the animation about a 7

The stories didn’t really connect too much. The main character progression was the same from the show so I couldn’t really do much with it. I also miss the “do you have any idea how little that narrows it down” meme from the cartoon. But it was a good setup for the ongoing

I would say my favorite stuff so far outside of Bruce and Terry awesome relationship are the Splicers and the Stalker. Two really cool villain type things. If they do end up going more in depth with the gang life like Jokers and Splicers and stuff I would be totally cool with that.

Overall I’m enjoying myself on the lightheartedness. I’m actually really glad the story isn’t too involved up to this point for the simple fact it’s making reading through a lot easier than some comics I’ve read. I’ll let you guys know what I think of the ongoing when I’m done