Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by foxley View Post
    One of best friends has always said I probably would have fit better into the Edwardian era than I do into this. I'm not sure that i agree with him--I certainly have no desire to fight in the Great War (it cost me me enough relatives as it was)-- but I feel a certain (probably false) affinity for the period.

But a lot of it it depends on not only when you were born, but the circumstances you were born into. Isaac Asimov used to tell a story about his wife remarking on how nice it would have been to live in the Victorian era. When he asked why, she replied because it was so easy to get servants. He then said "Janet, we have been the servants."

There is an inherent assumption amongst those of us the 21st century idealizing an earlier time that we would have been at the top of the social ladder, when the truth is that the vast majority of wouldn't. We would have been the slaves or the serfs or the servants or the working class.
    This puts me in mind of reincarnationists. Never yet met one recalling a past life of squalor as a European peasant.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    This puts me in mind of reincarnationists. Never yet met one recalling a past life of squalor as a European peasant.
    Yeah it is always “you were an illustrious Prince” or some crap. Ridiculous.
    "Kids don't care **** about superhero comic books. And if they do, they probably start with manga, with One Punch-Man or My Hero Academia. " -ImOctavius.

Star Trek future for certain where modern science has eradicated all diseases & has slowed the ageing process. When humans live extended life span of 200+ years before the grays start.

When inter-stellar warp drives is old news & humanity has extended far-beyond the known stars & other intelligent life has pleasure planets like "Risa". However, for such times my flying car, jet-pack & robot companion are completely necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Rödney View Post
    Yeah it is always “you were an illustrious Prince” or some crap. Ridiculous.
    Yes and there's the 50,000 people who were all Cleopatra or Abraham Lincoln.
    Power with Girl is better.

I would only live in a different period in history if I had a time machine that allowed me to back to the present at anytime, and i could morph my body so I wouldn't look like a giant.

That being said....

1970's New York, London & LA would be great for the music. Early 80's as well.

The rollin 20's would be great to, as would Victorian England in the 19th century, and the Roman period....though that would be dicey.

50 years ago… same country. The world was so hopeful about the future. Never heard about the climate change and about all the things that come with modernity.

There was so much optimism…
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    50 years ago… same country. The world was so hopeful about the future. Never heard about the climate change and about all the things that come with modernity.

There was so much optimism…
    From a purely economic view, in the United States, the Post-World War II era into the 1970s was a great time for an ordinary person to not feel poor. Of course, there was the Draft and that's not getting into the problems if one is not a white male.

I prefer to choose the 21st century and the present as the best and pretend I'm a time traveler from the future who has come back here for the purity and simplicity of these simple, pure ancient times.
    Power with Girl is better.

Ultimate Member

Just to answer the OP, I'd never live in the past. I hate that "lewronggeneration" bs, and everything I've learned of the past and how awful it was makes me glad I live now.

I'm obsessed with '50s, '60s, and '70s pop culture, so I would love to live in that era, as long as I could somehow ensure that I wouldn't get sent to Vietnam. Anything earlier would probably see me either getting shot or hacked to death in battle, or dying of some then-incurable disease, so I'll pass on that.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

I might want to experience certain cultural things of the past, but I'm pretty cool with living from 1965 til now. In particular, I'd love to travel back to the 20s and 30s and hear some jazz or experience the 60s as a teen/adult. However, despite all of the crap happening, I truly consider these times (right freaking now) to the be the best humanity has ever had. I'm pretty worried I won't be able to say this in 10 or so years, but I'm still hopeful.

I also grew up in a time where I think children were the freeest that they've ever been, and it was kickass. Before the mid-60s, it doesn't seem fun to be a kid for me and after the mid-80s doesn't seem fun either.
    Last edited by MyriVerse; 03-20-2021 at 02:13 PM.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

I used to want to live in the fantasy future like Star Trek and the Fantasy past like LotR's, yes I printed that last part correctly. Tolkien liked to pretend that his version of earth was our past that died out and also evolved into something else.

As an aging millennial, would like to go back to the mid to late 90s. Been watching commercials from then. Missing those times a lot.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Covid sucks, but this is still one of the best times ever to live. The average person has access to a lot of cool stuff, and life expectancy is pretty decent.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Fantastic Member

Far in the future. At least 500 years, assuming we're still around then.

Incredible Member

I would like to relive the 1980's again just in the nick of time when things in pop culture were really becoming more dominant, the technological advancements and so forth.