Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Would you rather live in a different time in history?

Would you rather live in a different century? Yes, No, why?

I wouldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    Would you rather live in a different century? Yes, No, why?

I wouldn't.
    Yes, future history like the 24th century of Star Trek.

Seriously, no. Anything in the past is more primitive in terms of medicine, general living conditions and social progress. The 20th century wouldn't be so bad in the latter half since I already did that.
    Power with Girl is better.

I sometimes think I would rather live in the 1940's, the time of the World War II. I also would sometimes rather live in King Arthur's Camelot.

Sure. A long, long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away...

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Are we talking about magically transporting present day you to some other time? Or are we talking about you( or a reasonable facsimile of you ) being born and raised in a different time.

The former would be horrible, because depending on how far back you go you would struggle to relate and even communicate with the people around you.

I’m black , though modern America has its issues I have no desire to go back even to the 80’s.
    Last edited by mathew101281; 02-15-2021 at 10:45 AM.

BANNED

Nope.

I would like say the Obama years to last as a status-quo a little longer than it did...with all the foreknowledge of the problems coming to bear granted at the time, so that stuff like COVID-19 gets stopped dead in its tracks and millions around the world live.

That I want.

But I don't want to live in a different time in history with all the ignorance and denial and blindedness of the respective present.

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    Are we talking about magically transporting present day you to some other time? Or are we talking about you( or a reasonable facsimile of you ) being born and raised in a different time.

The former would be horrible, because depending on how far back you go you would struggle to relate and even communicate with the people around you.

I’m black , though modern America has its issues I have no desire to go back even to the 80’s.
    I sometimes have a fantasy of going back to a fantasy version of 5th century Britain, the King Arthur legend, but wearing a suit of Iron-Man armor that has no energy limits and effectively shields me from the realities of such an era such as disease, filth and generally horrible conditions compared to now.

You would almost have to be born into such a time to function there.

It's just a fantasy, of course, bereft of the realities of past times. There are Star Trek Holo-deck or holo-suite versions of past times I'd love to live in. To paraphrase Sisko on why he didn't like the 1962 Las Vegas of the holo-suite was because it ignored the real racial strife of that time. Then again, it allows someone to enjoy the positives of an era without the negatives.

At my age, I couldn't do much adventuring in a holo version of 5th century Britain but I'd love the forests and the lack of population and technology- until I called for the arch to step out and get a modern shower and some disease-free food and drink.

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post

Being born and growing in a different time. No Time travel or anything like that. It's about real life.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I just want to live in a time when Trump has shuffled off this mortal coil. Seriously, I think it would be fun to live in the 1960s as an adult and maybe go to concerts by the Beatles or even the Monkees. I was just a child at the time.

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Smile

I Honestly Feel I was Tailor-Made to Live in the Era I was Born in, espically with how Media and Geek Culture has evolved infront of Us threw my lifetime(I was Born in 1983, but I clearly am a good bit Late 80's and Mostly a 90's Kid Culture youth LOL). Espically seeing the Evolvution of Movies, Video Games, Comic Book Media and ESPICALLY the Coming of Anime Culture to the states with the Revolution it brought with it!

So I am Perfectly Please with the era I was born in!

HOWEVER, with that said, if I was to live threw a different Era at the Age or younger abit then I am now, I have always been Very Keen on living therw the 1970's!

I feel the Fashion, Culture, Movies, TV, where comics books where at this time, the early advent of Geek Culture of the birth of conventions like Treks and Espically the MUSIC, I mean WOW the music of the 1970's!

So Yea, I be into lively in my Open Minded Adult 30 or so Time in the 1970's!

So I guess I would be born in ~~ 1943-44 at the very lates. That means I see the 50's and 60's too boot.
    Last edited by CJStriker; 02-15-2021 at 12:21 PM.
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

Just the past? Or the future as well/
    The past, no, to easy to die of curable illness. Without modern medicine, COVID would have been as deadly as the Spanish Flu, and that was only a hundred years ago. I have to Grandparents who died in their early sixties for things that are manageable today.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CJStriker View Post
    I Honestly Feel I was Tailor-Made to Live in the Era I was Born in...
    That's true for everyone. Our sense of self is shaped by the environment we are born in, by the customes, mores, traditions, politics around us. To imagine ourself in another period you would have to rethink and reconfigure yourself. You wouldn't be the same person or same version of yourself in a different time, you would be a completely different person and individual.

Guys, thank you for your replies, you all make very interesting points.

Personally, as a woman, I'm glad I was born in the later part of the 20th century because at least I've had more opportunities as a woman in society, especially now with more equality. In the past, men ruled and women had to obey or else. Law didn't protect us like now. Sure, there is still inequality and injustice in many places, even in more civilized countries, and women are still treated like slaves or worse, but things have really changed a lot. Even my husband has told me how he notices that in some religions men are still in control of the relationship because they are the MAN and the leader, according to the Bible... He thinks, like I do too, that it's just an excuse for men to be the boss and do what they want. I'm glad my husband is an smart man (most of the time lol).

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Just the past? Or the future as well/
    The past, no, to easy to die of curable illness. Without modern medicine, COVID would have been as deadly as the Spanish Flu, and that was only a hundred years ago. I have to Grandparents who died in their early sixties for things that are manageable today.
    No future because we still have no proof we can go there. It could be worse than now..

That's true for everyone. Our sense of self is shaped by the environment we are born in, by the customes, mores, traditions, politics around us.
    I don't know about that. I've known people who wish they had been born more than a centure ago when everything was more simple, no stress, no pollution they say.
    Last edited by stargazer01; 02-15-2021 at 01:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    Guys, thank you for your replies, you all make very interesting points.

Personally, as a woman, I'm glad I was born in the later part of the 20th century because at least I've had more opportunities as a woman in society, especially now with more equality. In the past, men ruled and women had to obey or else. Law didn't protect us like now. Sure, there is still inequality and injustice in many places, even in more civilized countries, and women are still treated like slaves or worse, but things have really changed a lot. Even my husband has told me how he notices that in some religions men are still in control of the relationship because they are the MAN and the leader, according to the Bible... He thinks, like I do too, that it's just an excuse for men to be the boss and do what they want. I'm glad my husband is an smart man (most of the time lol).

No future because we still have no proof we can go there. It could be worse than now..

I don't know about that. I've known people who wish they had been born more than a centure ago when everything was more simple, no stress, no pollution they say.
    But that, in itself, is a rose-colored fantasy of what any past era was.

To paraphrase Stephen King from "9/11/63", some major events of the past might seem simple and stress free to a person from the future because that person already knows the outcome but that ignores the overwhelming racism, sexism, religious bigotry and a host of other problems.

Or, to paraphrase Professor Stein: Okay, I get it. The 1950s were a wonderful era if you were a white heterosexual Protestant male.

No pollution? Try living in a city with horses as the main transport and no realistic sewer system. No stress except how you'll survive when you're too old to work or get injured or sick.

But, other than that, no stress and survival of the fit is simple.

Astonishing Member

I would like to live in an era when cancer, Alzheimer's, etc., are things of the past. War, too, but I doubt that era will ever come, until humans have been replaced by robots who will consider it illogical.