Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Anyone else miss the days when a zillion people didn't know Bruce Wayne was Bats

And there wasn't an extended "Bat-Family" that had a dozen members?

I remember the late 80's early 90's when Bats was a solo act and IT. RULED.

Then you had Tim Drake as Robin which, fine.

Then Jean Whats his face who was raised by the evil monks or whatever.

Spoiler.

That silent Batgirl.

Suddenly Dick Grayson is mere minutes away in an even more corrupt city than Gotham.

Now you have Bats, Dick, Jason, Tim, Babs, Catwoman, that black kid, Damian, Ace and of course, Bat Cow.*

If DC is gonna have a zillion books about Bats and his 'family' they damn well better have one devoted solely to the adventures of Ace The Bat Hound.

*Yes, yes I'm sure I left some people out, you get the idea.

Hahaha this sounds exactly like my signature line. I think the perfect balance was in the 1970’s. One Batgirl in D.C. one Robin away at college and both popping up from time to time. I think more important than the number of characters though was the greater emphasis on Bruce Wayne as a person and his civilian life making him a bit more 2-Dimensional instead of 1-D.
    Last edited by Pohzee; 02-15-2021 at 11:49 AM.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    Hahaha this sounds exactly like my signature line. I think the perfect balance was in the 1970’s. One Batgirl in D.C. one Robin away at college and both popping up from time to time. I think more important than the number of characters though was the greater emphasis on Bruce Wayne as a person and his civilian life making him a bit more 2-Dimensional instead of 1-D.
    In other words, basically the era and set-up that inspired Batman: The Animated Series - IMO, one of the most iconic Batman adaptation ever!

I agree, DC should kill Tim and Spoiler for good.

Bruce Wayne is Batman?!

Well it know longer a bat "family" its a bat "league".

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Well I like steph, so I'd save her by sending her to bludhaven with nightwing.

But tim retirement or gcpd.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ShutUpLutz View Post
    And there wasn't an extended "Bat-Family" that had a dozen members?

I remember the late 80's early 90's when Bats was a solo act and IT. RULED.

Then you had Tim Drake as Robin which, fine.

Then Jean Whats his face who was raised by the evil monks or whatever.

Spoiler.

That silent Batgirl.

Suddenly Dick Grayson is mere minutes away in an even more corrupt city than Gotham.

Now you have Bats, Dick, Jason, Tim, Babs, Catwoman, that black kid, Damian, Ace and of course, Bat Cow.*

If DC is gonna have a zillion books about Bats and his 'family' they damn well better have one devoted solely to the adventures of Ace The Bat Hound.

*Yes, yes I'm sure I left some people out, you get the idea.
    Oh I thought you're talking about the Parliament of Owls from all over the world knowing all their identities

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

That's the Trouble. Those two are the ones I like. Agreed on not keeping everyone. I wouldn't miss Jason since he mostly wasn't around when I got into reading comics. He doesn't have the nostalgia factor protection. Others do. I'd be fine with seeing Frankenstein around again.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Oh I thought you're talking about the Parliament of Owls from all over the world knowing all their identities
    Is that even still a thing? Feels like it is slowly being pushed under the rug and everyone pretends that it never existed.

Seems like in the old days everyone knew who he was as well.

Like in the 70s comics I have read. I know Robin and Alfred of course knew. But so did Superman, The Teen Titans, Pretty sure there was a story where Hal Jordan and Flash made reference to it, Wonder Woman, Martian Manhunter both knew, Metal Men suspected, Spectre knew but he is magical and such so that makes since, Earth Two JSA knew that Earth One Batman was Bruce but that was because Earth Two batman was Bruce, So I cant really think of a time when the man whose secret identity is the most important thing to him didnt have a hundred people who knew.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Is that even still a thing? Feels like it is slowly being pushed under the rug and everyone pretends that it never existed.
    I think the Parliament is being killed off by Kobra and/or captured and brainwash by Spyral so they forget, but I like to bring it up every time for the sheer ridiculousness of it

I was thinking about this recently. I think a good compromise is to give a really good writer, I don't know who but a good one a dc black label on going. Just start fresh. Do two to three years of batman solo books. Kind of like giving Murphy his own universe.

If we could have a black label batman on going, 're telling of the orgin. Re telling of Gordon and his relationship forming. We could have a universe for a long while where only Alfred knows. Then slowly over time 're introduce those other characters. You could even have other books spin out of the main one.

We won't get it because it will outsell the main book, also I don't know if we could get one writer to stick that long. It would be awesome though (which is why it won't happen)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Seems like in the old days everyone knew who he was as well.

Like in the 70s comics I have read. I know Robin and Alfred of course knew. But so did Superman, The Teen Titans, Pretty sure there was a story where Hal Jordan and Flash made reference to it, Wonder Woman, Martian Manhunter both knew, Metal Men suspected, Spectre knew but he is magical and such so that makes since, Earth Two JSA knew that Earth One Batman was Bruce but that was because Earth Two batman was Bruce, So I cant really think of a time when the man whose secret identity is the most important thing to him didnt have a hundred people who knew.
    Hmmm... I don't think the Teen Titans of the 70's knew. I assume the members of the JLA back then knew and I recall a story where batman had a heart attack or something and Superman had to use his superspeed to put an oxygen mask on him and get him to Alfred for treatment.

Hugo Strange figured out Batman's identity and it cost him his life, but of course he came back to life. Ra's figured it out but he ignored the Bruce side of things.

Though I never read the book I assume the Outsiders knew Bruce Wayne = Batman.

The Bwahahahaha!! era Justice League is interesting. Except for Martian Manhunter I don't think anyone else knew, there was a scene where some members including Bats had to go in civilian disguise and Bats went as Bruce Wayne and Fire was all ZOMG YOU'RE SO HAWT!!! AND SEXY!!! and "Bruce" assured her that under his 'disguise' of Bruce Wayne Bats was truly hideous.

The whole back and forth over whether Gordon knows is kind of annoying is is the fact that soon after a multi-billionaire returns to Gotham and is huge news after decades away some lunatic in a Bat costume starts fucking up the criminal element and NO ONE makes the connection.

Deadman knew as well.

So yeah a fair number of people knew but they weren't all meeting at like diners or whatever together in their civilian identities.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    I think the Parliament is being killed off by Kobra and/or captured and brainwash by Spyral so they forget, but I like to bring it up every time for the sheer ridiculousness of it
    Didn't Raptor kill them...?