Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I really dislike the modern silly take on the character. I prefer the much more cold, monsterous, and yes even sinister take on the character.

You shouldn't be laughing at how campy the man is. You should be creeped out by him.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    I really dislike the modern silly take on the character. I prefer the much more cold, monsterous, and yes even sinister take on the character.

You shouldn't be laughing at how campy the man is. You should be creeped out by him.
    Yes, agree 100%.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post

He's not even funny. He reminds me of those people that are more amused with themselves than other people are

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    He's not even funny. He reminds me of those people that are more amused with themselves than other people are
    True, but I think he feels that way because of his intelligence and power. Like in the real world, a power-trip of sorts. He is arrogant, selfish and self-serving. Yeah, a real villain!
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

My main issue with his current characterization is that 'camp/gay evil guy' is a sad trope that was once pervasive in cinema and TV. Being gay was equated with being deviant and a threat, and that's not something the X-Men of all franchises should perpetuate. I may chuckle at current Sinister but I realize how problematic his portrayal is/might be.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

I'd say ham it up and portray him like a 90s disney villain. I'm not a big fan of writers making Sinister into a goofy Deadpool type, its not my preferred style of humor. Make him somewhat flamboyant but reserved, like Jafar or Scar from Lion King.
    Last edited by Dipter; 02-16-2021 at 12:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    My main issue with his current characterization is that 'camp/gay evil guy' is a sad trope that was once pervasive in cinema and TV. Being gay was equated with being deviant and a threat, and that's not something the X-Men of all franchises should perpetuate. I may chuckle at current Sinister but I realize how problematic his portrayal is/might be.
    Camp != gay. The world is much more complicated than that.

I'd like half way in-between. Creepy with some snark. And to add to the original post, I personally think there are still a lot of top notch villains still to be onscreen.

I'm really torn on how to answer this. On one hand, I do feel like his moniker really fits him , because what he does is sinister and evil and he should be portrayed as such. He is not a low level criminal, he keeps genetic tabs on everybody and makes clone farms just because he can, with no care whatsoever for the consequences. On the other hand, Wells' take on Sinister ( a continuation from Gillen's) has been really therapeutic for me in quarantine. I laugh pretty much everytime he has him on the scenes ( '' I usually have a cape if you're wondering why I look like this'' is a line I wont forget anytime soon), and I have to say , he has been the most entertaining X-character in this era for me. So I don't know , if they do decide to lean on his original portrayal, I hope they have another villain that has these exact personality traits( preferably one that isnt as evil as Sinister) . If not, I'm okay with using this modern take on him

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    While younger Tim Curry would have been an excellent choice for camp Sinister, his failing health and advancing age sadly preclude him.
    The current guy I can see playing Sinister is Matthew Goode, devilish charm in spades, and some make up to make him look sinister would ice the cake

Mysteriously in the shadows, a scientist with no emotion only concern with his experiments.

If you want a campy science villian, use [Dark] Beast, or that Savage Land guy Brainchild. I never was impressed with Gillen's run in the first place; seeing his version of Sinister become the default sucks. Feige tends to be more classical in his tastes, but he does borrow heavily from the newer stuff too. As the MCU becomes darker, though, I think a more sinister Sinister is likely(if they even use him...), even if he exhibits at least a touch of MCU humor.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Either the current campy versions (maybe dialed back a bit though) or Claremont's original intended origin. Or some combo of both.

Post Claremont/pre-Gillen Sinister has always been boring and difficult to take seriously. Self aware camp is always better than being cheesy by accident

I think you could play it down the middle. Maybe he's a character that behave campy when it suits him to get what he wants, but underneath he's very driven and cold regarding his goals. I can buy him making a joke to toy with someone or avoid answering a question honestly. But I'd like to see him a tad more serious than he has been portrayed as of late.

Extraordinary Member

When I stop to think about it, Sinister is worse than MCU Yondu. Despite his antics, Sinister is someone with a history of being involved with missing & exploited children.