Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Breaker of Worlds Immortal Hulk's Avatar

Default Silver Surfer Appreciation 2021

Let's talk about one of Marvel's greatest creations:

Norrin Radd, Sky-Rider of the Spaceway, Cosmic Powerhouse: The Silver Surfer!

Let's hope for a nice year and an ongoing comic.

Norrin Radd appears to be heading for a new Defenders series, so he will have a place to be on a monthly basis.

Is he still the Black Surfer? What has Norrin been up to recently?
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    As far as I know he is still black.

The Ron Lim version will always be my favorite. Hoping 2021 will be a great year for Silverado

Last edited by K7P5V; 02-16-2021 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Added Clarification.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

The noblest of all heroes. One of my favourites ever since I read the Stan Lee/John Buscema run - a masterpiece.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    it really depends on what happens at the end of king in black, technically surfer black is surfer who's been corrupted by knull's darkness but not quite taken over. Imo norrin should stay this way for the forseeable future.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobodyworthnoting View Post
    it really depends on what happens at the end of king in black, technically surfer black is surfer who's been corrupted by knull's darkness but not quite taken over. Imo norrin should stay this way for the forseeable future.
    Thanks. I haven't picked up King In Black yet. I like the Surfer being involved and able to be corrupted despite all his powers.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

The Surfer's most recent appearances were Fantastic Four 27-28.

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    Norrin Radd appears to be heading for a new Defenders series, so he will have a place to be on a monthly basis.
    Silver Surfer being written by Ewing on a monthly is must buy. With Namor and Hulk there, it would be even better.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    The noblest of all heroes. One of my favourites ever since I read the Stan Lee/John Buscema run - a masterpiece.

So much, almost limitless power, and yet so much nobility and kindness in his soul.

Another thing that I saw some people talking about is the possibilty of Donny Cates writing a SS book.

Silver Surfer is always among the few characters that Cates basically writes in almost all his books, with important roles: Thanos Wins, SS: Black and King in Black (which seems a really important role).

SS: Black was amazing, so I think a Cates/Moore team could be amazing.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Hulk View Post
    Another thing that I saw some people talking about is the possibilty of Donny Cates writing a SS book.

Silver Surfer is always among the few characters that Cates basically writes in almost all his books, with important roles: Thanos Wins, SS: Black and King in Black (which seems a really important role).

SS: Black was amazing, so I think a Cates/Moore team could be amazing.
    I wouldn't mind Cates writing Surfer. I'm not a massive fan of his other stuff although Venom has been quite good. I haven't yet got to the whole KiB event but Silver Surfer Black was very very good with fantastic art by Moore. Cates is quite good with continuity as he recognises previous runs. I would like to see the Silver Surfer Black collected along with a possible Cates Surfer run in an Omnibus format.

Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw Vigilante View Post
    He had a nice appearance in King in Black 4 however brief it was. It was pretty much a given that Eddie Brock would be the ultimate hero but the Surfer breaking through the Knull barrier, and casually taking out a bunch of Symbiote Dragons and the Knull possessed Celestial to deliver the Uni-Power was neat. I just wish he has more to do, reminds me of his role in the Annihilation-Cancerverse arc early last year (or was it late 2019?), it just left me with wanting him to do more than have a brief savior moment (which he's had a bunch of times as far back as when he saved the Fantastic Four from Terrax in the 80's, then did again with the New Warriors and Terrax, then saved Daredevil from Mephisto, then the Devil's Due universe from Mephisto, then saved the Uni-Power in that Captain Universe mini in the mid 2000's, etc., etc.). They are cool moments, they just leave you wanting a bit more.

I really don't want to see him in a monthly team book. I've been disappointed in how Ewing writes cosmic Marvel, he has interesting ideas that just peter out in mediocrity. He's somewhere between Hickman having interesting ideas that are just sort of injected into established continuity without any prior hints of them existing and the Bendis sort of "hey remember this!" type use of established continuity without the proper context that the continuity existed in. It's like having a missing piece of two halves that would make each half complete and keep the use of both halves from making an excellent whole (that being said Ewing is much more respectful of continuity than Bendis is, but not as interesting of an idea man as Hickman). The Surfer in a monthly book, especially a monthly team book will just be diluted Surfer written by someone that is just going to sort of Ron Marz him again is not what I want for the character. Aside from that Ewing is stretched thin between too many books.
    As terrible as Cates writes Galactus he writes the Surfer well, so I'd rather see him do a monthly Surfer book as long as he never writes Galactus again.

There are very few writers I'd trust with a Surfer book. Looking at who has written him in recent years... Surprisingly Slott and Catest have written him well (both helped a lot by their artist partners in The Silver Surfer and Silver Surfer: Black respectively). Abnett and Lanning could both do a good job even though they aren't my ideal fits for the character but they have been part of Marvel since the 90's and have more respect for history than just "hey remember this!" type tidbits that have been a mainstay since Bendis (essentially Family Guy'ing Marvel). Whoever wrote his appearance in Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur a couple of years back (the Fantastic Four/Omnipotus arc) wrote the Surfer and Galactus surprisingly well even if the overall storyline was basic (but it was essentially for a book most geared towards children so a lot can be excused due to that).
    He did have a very cool display in KIB #4, indeed.

Btw, what do you think about how Ewing would write SS, that you wouldn't like?

I wouldn't mind Cates writing Surfer. I'm not a massive fan of his other stuff although Venom has been quite good. I haven't yet got to the whole KiB event but Silver Surfer Black was very very good with fantastic art by Moore. Cates is quite good with continuity as he recognises previous runs. I would like to see the Silver Surfer Black collected along with a possible Cates Surfer run in an Omnibus format.
    Yeah, imo SS:Black and Thanos Wins (which had cool SS moments) are the best from what I've seen of Cates work. He definitely can write him very well.

BANNED

Silver Surfer: Black Treasury Edition