Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

That version was a douche. I guess they saw a dude in underwear and assumed he must be constantly hitting on women, despite the comics being a sensible person. Same thing happened with Vartox.

Seems like there's a trend that any character in underwear must act like Namor with Sue Storm, despite a lot of them being dudes that actually care about important things.

He is the love of her life.

Whatever people may want, Diana's love will be always Steve, just as Lois is for Clark and Mera is for Arthur, etc

About this much.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    That version was a douche. I guess they saw a dude in underwear and assumed he must be constantly hitting on women, despite the comics being a sensible person. Same thing happened with Vartox.

Seems like there's a trend that any character in underwear must act like Namor with Sue Storm, despite a lot of them being dudes that actually care about important things.
    Comic version was kind of a douche and borderline racist when he appeared in Animal Man. The adaptations have actually improved upon him.

Quote Originally Posted by MarFarr View Post
    He is the love of her life.

Whatever people may want, Diana's love will be always Steve, just as Lois is for Clark and Mera is for Arthur, etc
    Considering the incredibly long stretches where Steve was a complete non factor in Diana's life while for Clark/Lois those gaps are much shorter, I disagree. He's experiencing a mini-renaissance now but in the future it will probably somebody else being pushed as a major love interest. With DC finally having the guts to admit that Diana is bi, DC will have to tackle the idea of a major female love interest for Diana.

Diana's love life is similar to Batman's in that respect, there is not real one true love and it depends on the period of comics you're reading.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Comic version was kind of a douche and borderline racist when he appeared in Animal Man. The adaptations have actually improved upon him.

Considering the incredibly long stretches where Steve was a complete non factor in Diana's life while for Clark/Lois those gaps are much shorter, I disagree. He's experiencing a mini-renaissance now but in the future it will probably somebody else being pushed as a major love interest. With DC finally having the guts to admit that Diana is bi, DC will have to tackle the idea of a major female love interest for Diana.

Diana's love life is similar to Batman's in that respect, there is not real one true love and it depends on the period of comics you're reading.
    to non comic readers it is Steve - its just comic readers that know what's going on in comics. In movies etc it will always be Steve.

I don't recall him actually saying anything racist or even acting with an idea of white superiority, but Freedom Beast is good just as well. A political rebel from Tanzania.

to non comic readers it is Steve - its just comic readers that know what's going on in comics. In movies etc it will always be Steve.
    Until the next big adaptation.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    I don't recall him actually saying anything racist or even acting with an idea of white superiority, but Freedom Beast is good just as well. A political rebel from Tanzania.
    I remember him getting really aggressive when Freedom Beast calls him out on the implications of the name and the helmet. Given the themes Morrison was tackling, it was clear what he was going for. He may not have been overtly racist but Beast definitely had some unconscious biases that he needed to work out.

Until the next big adaptation.
    Forget that in movies they will adapt WW to be Bi, it will be banned in many countries overseas with a result of big loss at Box office level.

Forget that in movies they will adapt WW to be Bi, it will be banned in many countries overseas with a result of big loss at Box office level.
    She's had male love interests besides Steve as well and I don't mean Superman, Batman or Aquaman either. They could easily go with Trevor Barnes, Tom Tressor/Nemesis or Mike Shcorr.

She's had male love interests besides Steve as well and I don't mean Superman, Batman or Aquaman either. They could easily go with Trevor Barnes, Tom Tressor/Nemesis or Mike Shcorr.
    unknown characters to the general public that not even comic readers really like - In superman III they tried the same with Lana Lang replacing Lois, it wasn't a bright idea.
    Steve Trevor will always be associated as her love interest, by non comic fans who are an overwhelming majority. These last two movies have entrenched that perception.

unknown characters to the general public that not even comic readers really like - In superman III they tried the same with Lana Lang replacing Lois, it wasn't a bright idea.
    Steve Trevor will always be associated as her love interest, by non comic fans who are an overwhelming majority. These last two movies have entrenched that perception.
    I can't believe people are still using this excuse today.

The superhero movie industry was saved by an obscure Marvel character named Blade after Batman and Robin almost irreparably destroyed it. Being an unknown does not or should not be an obstacle to a character in a movie and if anything the previous films have established that Diana can and should move on from Steve eventually.

As for Diana being bisexual and potentially being banned, the American film industry is going to have to realize they can only rely on such places for so long.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I can't believe people are still using this excuse today.

The superhero movie industry was saved by an obscure Marvel character named Blade after Batman and Robin almost irreparably destroyed it. Being an unknown does not or should not be an obstacle to a character in a movie and if anything the previous films have established that Diana can and should move on from Steve eventually.

As for Diana being bisexual and potentially being banned, the American film industry is going to have to realize they can only rely on such places for so long.
    WW is not an unknown character, the non comic reader knows that Diana has Steve as her love interest. Like it or not its in the perception of general public.
    As for American film industry and certain(lots of) non liberal countries - those markets have become big sources of revenue which can determine the success of movie box office. China alone can make the difference, we have to realize this. In some countries they censored the Aquaman Mera kiss for being too hot!!!
    Now either you depend on domestic and european markets alone with a very reduced box office or adapt to accommodate the bigger picture.

There isn't either assurance that a bi WW would be a success in liberal european countries, from experience I learnt they are liberal when it comes to laws but with a big share of intolerant population, with lots of extreme right movements on the rise, extremely racist.
    Unchartered waters at the least, that I doubt film industry is ready to sail in.
    Last edited by Goldrake; 02-22-2021 at 01:21 AM.

Steve Trevor wasn't well known before the 2017 WW movie either. Between the Lynda Carter tv show and Gal Gadot's first appearance in Superman vs Batman, the biggest solo WW has ever gotten was the 2009 DTV movie and they didn't make more because it didn't sell enough to their liking. It was a combination of writing, good casting and good chemistry between the leads that made Diana/Steve a huge hit for the audience. I wouldn't rule out the possibility of Diana romancing with someone besides Steve and that romance becoming successful if the aforementioned elements are done right.

Steve Trevor wasn't well known before the 2017 WW movie either. Between the Lynda Carter tv show and Gal Gadot's first appearance in Superman vs Batman, the biggest solo WW has ever gotten was the 2009 DTV movie and they didn't make more because it didn't sell enough to their liking. It was a combination of writing, good casting and good chemistry between the leads that made Diana/Steve a huge hit for the audience. I wouldn't rule out the possibility of Diana romancing with someone besides Steve and that romance becoming successful if the aforementioned elements are done right.
    we had animations with Steve as her love interest, look its understandable that you don't like Steve but saying that Steve Trevor wasn't known before 2017 is far fetched.

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    She might love him but I don't. He's useless in modern comics.
    Agreed. I fully supported George Perez’s decision to turn Steve into an older brother figure for Diana post-CRISIS. Diana’s platonic love for Steve worked well for about 24 years; there was no need to resuscitate a romantic component in their dynamic in The New 52 (plus I personally preferred and enjoyed Diana and Kal as lovers).

What it comes down to is that no one has ever convincingly written Diana and Steve as star-crossed lovers in the books, including Marston. Steve will always be a mere plot device, Diana’s ticket to leave Paradise Island/Themyscira.

To me, the only times Diana and Steve are an actual viable romantic pairing are in Gal Gadot and Chris Pine’s performances in the two movies. (Lynda Carter and Lyle Waggoner were nowhere near depicting Diana and Steve as lovers.). And that legit romance both hadn’t existed in the books before and translated into the pages after the first film.