Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    King has set up an interesting dynamic here. Helena solving the mystery where her own mother is the murderer. I kind of have a feeling that Helena suspects Selina, but is trying to play a game with her to see if she will confess, which she obviously won't.
    The last two panels pretty much confirm this. The other thing that struck me about #3 was
    "Are you Catwoman? Or are you Batman?" King likes his parallelism and I couldn't help get the feeling that this is the central conflict across the timelines. Many assumed the Batman/Catwoman title would be about the relationship between Selina and Bruce, which is definitely was I was hoping for. Instead, I wonder if it's about the dichotomy and struggle of those identities, otherwise we'd have an and, right? In the opening of this series, I think the tale could be about Helena's struggle with these identities. Which is she? The only way future Selina makes sense to me is if she's making space for Helena while teaching her an important lesson at the same time: you're not one or the other, you're both.

And if this turns into a full-blown Helena book, that would be pretty neat. "Are you the Catwoman? Or are you the Batman?"
    Only here for The C@

A stunning Jim Lee version of Helena in an upcoming variant!

88BD9639-330D-44ED-890D-D9BEED855AC7.jpg

This issue really grabbed me, unlike the rest which I breezed through.

The thing that really started unraveling my mind was when Selina said that she's now the richest woman in the world. The power and joy in her face on that panel, Mann really captured that. Which begs the big question: did she do it all for the money? Did she love Batman? Was she in it for the long con? Was bat the compromise she had to make? Is she the big bad cat after all? She's mercurial here, and that's enough to hold my attention. Also the theme of comfort and joy ties together nicely with that. She did it all for comfort, and took joy while she stole.

I'm starting to appreciate Jokester man and Cat's relationship. He's like the friend who knows her to the bad core and won't judge her for it, and she's screwing his crush. She can talk to him how's the sex with the bat, and how boring his morals are and they can laugh about it. The relationship is beneficial to both, she uses him as a punching bag, and he uses her to flex his psychological manipulating muscles on her and the bat.

Bruce acting as an emotionally stunted manchild with I can't let anyone hurt you in love was funny and appreciated.

Speaking of, that panel with Joker in the safe was nice and goofy. It's what comics are all about. Setting aside the starring role of Selina's gluteus maximus, the art is nice. I just wish Mann would differentiate past and present Selina with different haircuts. Past Selina should've gone with the long hair. Best panel this issue was so simple, and yet it speaks of the subtle power: when Phantasm attacks Selina, she backs up her legs with HH, and it's like effortless, like she's the cat stretching in her bed before the big blow.

I don't understand why Cat and the Bat don't go out looking for Phantasm... Selina sleeps in the big mansion while Bat is out there just waiting for another bloody body to recover. Go look into all past Joker associates, bug them and wait for the angel of death to utter her catchphrase and smash through the windows and beat her ass.

In the future, tension is rising in the last panel with the cat in Selina's lap and the mouse below the panel of Helena? Will mommy jump for her daughter?

All in all, I'm in it for the long ride. This issue cemented that Selina is the main character of the piece, and it's no wonder after his work on Mr Miracle and Vision.

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

Clay Mann taking heat for the way he draws Helena Wayne.

https://www.comicsbeat.com/the-inter...ts-disturbing/

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by signalman112 View Post
    Clay Mann taking heat for the way he draws Helena Wayne.

https://www.comicsbeat.com/the-inter...ts-disturbing/
    LOL, is anyone genuinely upset by this other than the usually oh so thoughtful reactionary Twitter Mob (the platform that brought us President Trump and the Tide Pod Challenge among other wonderful contributions to the world)? I'm not a fan of King's work and even I like Clay's design for Helena's costume, I think it is very visually dynamic.
    Last edited by Celgress; 02-26-2021 at 08:31 AM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    LOL, is anyone genuinely upset by this other than the usually oh so thoughtful reactionary Twitter Mob (the platform that brought us President Trump and the Tide Pod Challenge among other wonderful contributions to the world)? I'm not a fan of King's work and even I like Clay's design for Helena's costume, I think it is very visually dynamic.
    It is really too detailed I can see her cookie mound though. That's weird.

Her costume IS bland, and I'm not really surprised by skintight mode and gluteus maximus flexing. Anyone who read Heroes In Crisis would know it's his thing drawing hawt babes.

And is really Mann to blame or the editor who approves it, if there is to play a blame game? The gate keeper, I say.

Maybe this is natural result of creators now having more "freedom"?

Yes, you're right. It's the Black Label.

I forgot. Damned Bat-weiner comes to mind when the Black Label freedom is mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by zvrk View Post
    Yes, you're right. It's the Black Label.

I forgot. Damned Bat-weiner comes to mind when the Black Label freedom is mentioned.
    Hahaha, indeed
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

I thought the reasoning behind delaying the series were A) so Clay Mann could do all the artwork, and B) so there would be delays or skipped months. However, it looks like nothing is scheduled for June!
    Was there a planned skip month?

Incredible Member

I thought there was supposed to be a Bat/Cat special for June. I don't know why nothing is scheduled.

Well that's a bummer.