Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Batman / Catwoman # 3 (Spoilers, Discussion, Etc ...)

There's a bat. There's a cat. There's a past, present, and future. There's an overt riff on A Christmas Carol. There's Clay Mann artwork. There's original Earth-2 parallels and of course The Animated Series parallels. A clown, a pretty bird, and a hybrid. The usual structure-style-over-cohesion issues but some nice characterization.

The bits I rather liked; I can't tell (and I like that it's ambiguous) whether J. sees C. as a new toy to play with or complex angle to play against B. ... but it also seems very truly that much like in "The Best Man" ... C. and J. are actually friends. Like, she finds him horrible and his actions horrible more or less, but they're friends! Work-place friends! Old friends. Kids who even though they didn't know each other in their secret origins, come from the same kind of background and developed very similar skills ... except that he's a vile sociopathic killer! If they're both apathetic and live 'outside society' the difference is she's going to take what she wants and protect herself ... his game is to smash the whole thing. Villains United compatriots! What do you do when you marry your fella but you're friends with his worst enemy? It's soapish but it's also surprisingly relatable as a concept. So if she's going to uphold some weird code of her own and not kill him while B. is around but then as soon as she outlives him, do the deed ... it's doubly interesting motivationally because she doesn't even hate J., she just has apathy and sees what should've been done.

The other bit I liked was the 1v1 with C. and P., because it felt legit that both could hold their own but quite right that P. might get the ghastly jump but would quickly underestimate the vicious alley cat's ability to fight back, even in PJs. I can see where some of that's going.

I'm eager to see some other takes on it.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Clay Mann was not a good choice for this story. His characters have no facial expressions and... Just the way he draws women.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by vasir12 View Post
    Clay Mann was not a good choice for this story. His characters have no facial expressions and... Just the way he draws women.
    if it wasn't for clay, this trash book wouldn't even sell lol

king is awful

Extraordinary Member

Creator on creator crime is the best:

https://twitter.com/whoisrico/status...40454852673537

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by yellow cyclone View Post
    if it wasn't for clay, this trash book wouldn't even sell lol

king is awful
    For me the main draw is Mann's art and then King finally finishing his story

Clay's art is nice, but his characters do all look kind of mopey. He's not enough for me to keep getting this, Phantasm is about the only thing doing so.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Nothing left for his sons. What is the reason for ignoring them

Astonishing Member

Dose hellan have panophobia

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Im already obessesed with this Helena and need a spin off. Though her costume needs some major tinkering.

I enjoy Mann as an artist, but it seems like he needs to spend some time in Horny jail.

Incredible Member

It'd be nice if Bruce could be in this series more.

It feels like a Joker/Catwoman story and not really about Batman and Catwoman.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by lilyrose View Post
    It'd be nice if Bruce could be in this series more.

It feels like a Joker/Catwoman story and not really about Batman and Catwoman.
    All true, which is why I dropped the title last issue. Even the Phantasm could not hold my interest which speaks volumes to King's terrible storytelling as I'm a huge Phantasm fan.

Edit - But, hey, whatever floats your boat.
    Last edited by Celgress; 02-17-2021 at 05:33 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Two people in the same room talking about two separate things is one of the Kingism i dislike the most.

Other than that, i'm at least interested in this, something i couldn't say about his previous Batman book.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nș8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Incredible Member

I'm enjoying it, I just am hoping for more actual Bat/Cat relationship stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    All true, which is why I dropped the title last issue. Even the Phantasm could not hold my interest which speaks volumes to King's terrible storytelling as I'm a huge Phantasm fan.

Edit - But, hey, whatever floats your boat.
    Can we stop with this? Why do you come here to spill bullcrap? King has written plenty of great things, and Rorscharch is proof of how good his storytelling still is.