Default The Original Clayface (Basil Karlo)

First appearance in a story: Detective Comics #40 (cover-dated June 1940),
    though he was seen in the last panel of the last page of the Batman (and Robin) story in Detective Comics #39:

And from Detective Comics #40,

He didn't originally have the power to physically morph his body, but that would happen many years after his original appearance.

By the way, was that Clayface reforming in this panel from Infinite Frontier #0?
    ]

Extraordinary Member

I’m kind of irritated the “Ultimate Clayface” idea never really popped up again; when Karol showed up in No Man’s Land, he didn’t have any of his previous class and hamminess, nor, I believe, the dissolving touch.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Happy New Year to Clayface .

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Karlo was reimagined by Tynion in Rebirth as a hot young actor who's in talk to get an Oscar when the accident happen. The new back story in Detective Comics Annual #1 featured his dad who I don't know if he ever made an appearance before.

Incredible Member

Gosh, the Clayfaces used to be such amazingly defined characters. I have a physical copy of Secret Origins #44 which I cherish very much. They never got Clayface right again after the Mud Pack storyline, which... is really bizarre. I appreciate Tynion trying to do his own spin on a "Clayface Year One", but wiping out the legacy is a no-go for me.

I have an idea. In fact I'll give it to DC for free. Retcon it so that Vincent Karlo was the OG serial killer Clayface, and then Basil carried on his work.

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleGlovez View Post
    Gosh, the Clayfaces used to be such amazingly defined characters. I have a physical copy of Secret Origins #44 which I cherish very much. They never got Clayface right again after the Mud Pack storyline, which... is really bizarre. I appreciate Tynion trying to do his own spin on a "Clayface Year One", but wiping out the legacy is a no-go for me.

I have an idea. In fact I'll give it to DC for free. Retcon it so that Vincent Karlo was the OG serial killer Clayface, and then Basil carried on his work.
    Having re-read that annual just last night, it felt like they tried to marry the B:TAS version with the original Golden Age version of Clayface. The idea of Basil's father Vincent having created all those horror movie masks and description of the movie that Basil had planned to star in prior to the car accident both were nods to the original Basil origin story, while the car accident and the use of of "Renu" from Roland Daggett's company was from B:TAS (though B:TAS had Clayface's identity as Matt Hagen, who was Clayface II).

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Happy New Year to Clayface .
    Just curious (not saying you shouldn't wish it, just curious) is it normal to wish a happy new year throughout the year.

Here in The Netherlands there's a saying not to wish someonne a new year after January 15th. xD

Quote Originally Posted by Eto View Post
    Just curious (not saying you shouldn't wish it, just curious) is it normal to wish a happy new year throughout the year.

Here in The Netherlands there's a saying not to wish someonne a new year after January 15th. xD
    Just felt the best way to open a new thread :.

Quote Originally Posted by Eto View Post

Can you say "Happy Old Year" after then?

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

Sasha of Causally Comics gives a review/overview of DETECTIVE COMICS #40.