Page 22 of 29 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223242526 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Re the parole thing-- Yeah, it's weird. But he also went to straight to prison because Superman took him from his house and just dropped him in there, too. So it fits with the non-existent legal process of the Donnerverse just fine for me.

Expecting any “realistic” kind of examination of the law system is missing the forest for the trees. The Donnerverse was a mix of Pre-Crisis and the 70s, it’s not a realistic setting and you gotta take it for what it is.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

This reminds me of that Venture Bros. episode where Captain Sunshine drops a criminal off at the prison without a trial. And the criminal comments on how ridiculous that is.
    Assassinate Putin!

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Look, I know Superman is always willing to give people the benefit of a doubt, particularly this incarnation... but...Lex getting parole after not only the California fiasco but almost turning over the planet to A genocidal dictator so he could rule Australia...it's a bit hard to swallow. Yeah, he sort of helped Superman stop Zod and his henchmen ultimately, but only by being "tricked " into it by Supes. I dunno. Sort of breaks the Donner verisimilitude a bit.

That being said, the likeness is dead on and the dialogue feels true. I like the concept of Lex being forced to work a 9 to 5 and living in a crummy apartment, but the idea of Lex getting parole...again...not sure how that works.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    Look, I know Superman is always willing to give people the benefit of a doubt, particularly this incarnation... but...Lex getting parole after not only the California fiasco but almost turning over the planet to A genocidal dictator so he could rule Australia...it's a bit hard to swallow. Yeah, he sort of helped Superman stop Zod and his henchmen ultimately, but only by being "tricked " into it by Supes. I dunno. Sort of breaks the Donner verisimilitude a bit.

That being said, the likeness is dead on and the dialogue feels true. I like the concept of Lex being forced to work a 9 to 5 and living in a crummy apartment, but the idea of Lex getting parole...again...not sure how that works.
    I'm of the same mind. There's only so far you can push the fantastical elements of Superman before they break. Donner knew where the line was, whereas Lester didn't, which is why Donner's one and a half movies are so well regarded and Lester's aren't.

Venditti seems to be planting his flag firmly in Lester territory here. However, I'll wait for the issue itself for some kind of explanation. I think it's perfectly plausible that Luthor could employ legal shenanigans and/or blackmail to secure early parole.

Incredible Member

If this were Gotham City, we could put up to a corrupt political system.
    That could happen in Gotham City all the time. I mean New Jersey
    isn't exactly a place known for political ethics.

I think we expect better of Metropolis, we imagine that the rules are
    close to the world we inhabit.

You people must be flabbergasted every time Joker gets off on the "insanity plea" defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    You people must be flabbergasted every time Joker gets off on the "insanity plea" defense.
    I'm not really up to date with the Bat-books, but are they seriously releasing Joker to run around free in Gotham City after a few months in Arkham Asylum? I thought the excuse they keep using was Joker escapes whenever he wants and everyone is too stubborn to simply ask Superman to throw him in the Phantom Zone.

Sort of breaks the Donner verisimilitude a bit.
    Yeah, I think this is the main argument here. Sure bad guys get out of jail whenever it is convenient for some story, but if you are doing a continuation of Donner's "story" then you should try to stick with it.

Wasn't this comics between the first and the second film? I could be wrong, but if that's true and if I remember the films well, then Luthor has not turned over the planet to a genocidal dictador yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvel Man View Post
    Wasn't this comics between the first and the second film? I could be wrong, but if that's true and if I remember the films well, then Luthor has not turned over the planet to a genocidal dictador yet.
    Venditti says this is set between Superman II & III, so this would be after Luthor collaborated with Zod's plans for global domination.

However, that also gives Luthor at least a few years to pull some kind of scheme to wrangle himself an early parole, which I'm hoping is the case here.

And setting this prior to Supeman III also allows Venditti to potentially explain the more implausible feats that Gus Gorman was able to accomplish with computers, which culminated in a very Brainiac-esque super computer.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Venditti says this is set between Superman II & III, so this would be after Luthor collaborated with Zod's plans for global domination.

However, that also gives Luthor at least a few years to pull some kind of scheme to wrangle himself an early parole, which I'm hoping is the case here.

And setting this prior to Supeman III also allows Venditti to potentially explain the more implausible feats that Gus Gorman was able to accomplish with computers, which culminated in a very Brainiac-esque super computer.
    If it turns out that they sorta kinda tie Brainiac to Gus Gorman, thus "fixing" Superman III, my respect will be earned.

Perhaps there is more of an explanation for Lex's parole. As of now, it.stretches credibility to near breaking.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Actually, kind of. But then, Joker also doesn't have Batman going to bat for him to give him a million chances either which appears to be the case here.
    Assassinate Putin!

Well you guys will be pleased to know there is an explanation for why Luthor got parole’d: Superman endorsed him for it! I’m sure this won’t horribly backfire on Clark at all lol. He said it was because he believes Lex deserves a chance at redemption and the board stipulated that Supes had to keep an eye on him.

Overall this issue was great, felt like a huge step up after the first one was mostly just set up. I almost bust a gut laughing at the S-shield throw. Torres poses for Brainiac definitely gave him a Bowie feel to me lol. Lex is also great, very much can hear Hackman delivering these lines.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

perhaps he was in cahoots with Sideshow Bob on how to get paroled...

The-Simpsons-original-production-cel-season-6-episode.jpg
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog