Page 24 of 29 FirstFirst ... 14202122232425262728 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Bleeding cool has been following the paper shortage issues rather closely, def hitting all the companies.

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/prin...d-comic-books/

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/majo...mics-industry/

DC Comics continues to issue its own warnings and reworked schedules saying "DC faces an unprecedented strain on the global supply chain, affecting all of us in the comics industry and beyond.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Superfan Through The Ages BBally's Avatar

I don't get it, how does the first issue of Superman '78 only reach #78 with 33,000 est. units sold while the first issue of Batman '89 gets ranked second with 134,000 est. units sold?

https://www.comichron.com/monthlycom...1/2021-08.html
    No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

Credit for avatar goes to zclark

Quote Originally Posted by BBally View Post
    I don't get it, how does the first issue of Superman '78 only reach #78 with 33,000 est. units sold while the first issue of Batman '89 gets ranked second with 134,000 est. units sold?

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

So I FINALLY got my hands on a copy of issue #2. I liked this issue a lot better than the first one. All the introductions are out of the way so the action gets started. It followed a predictable pattern. But the scene where all the people helped him fits the pattern of the movies. I always like it when the public stands up for Superman. I saw the ending coming a mile away but that's how we get to where we're going. Lois making calls to find out what's going on is very post-Crisis Lois. And Luthor had a very pre-Crisis feel. And look. The whole time I kept thinking: Why can't this be the mainstream Superman?
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by BBally View Post

Keaton is going to be in a movie again remember? Plus I’m pretty sure the Keaton Batman movies were bigger deals that the Reeve Superman movies, much as it sucks to say. Finally: it’s Batman. He sells and Superman doesn’t because of how badly WB/DC has handled Superman.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I may have to go back and rewatch the movie but I remember the Planet building being more modern than that.
    Assassinate Putin!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Keaton is going to be in a movie again remember? Plus I’m pretty sure the Keaton Batman movies were bigger deals that the Reeve Superman movies, much as it sucks to say. Finally: it’s Batman. He sells and Superman doesn’t because of how badly WB/DC has handled Superman.
    Accounting for inflation over the 11 year distance in release dates, both their first couple of movies were about even in terms of box office and critical impact.

The rest I agree with, sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I may have to go back and rewatch the movie but I remember the Planet building being more modern than that.
    For the exterior of the building they seem to have gone closer to the Superman Returns version.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I'll add that Burton & Keaton's Batman movies are beloved and a portion of the fanbase feels like his tenure was cut short. There's a lot of "what could have been" there. Changing the actor for for Batman Forever and Batman & Robin serves as a disconnect between the two Burton and two Schumacher movies, even though they're supposed to be the same continuity.

Reeves was Superman in two very good and two very bad movies, and a general audience doesn't care or pay attention to a film's directors, writers or production companies. They see guy in the same costume and assume everything else is the same.

Also, Reeve's Superman is West's Batman to a degree. He's seen as campy and outdated and goody-goody and uncool. I think this is an unfair and shallow assessment for 1 & 2 (and is actually more a perceived notion than one made by actually watching the films), but certainly 3 & 4 lean more in that direction. There was also Superman Returns which kind of reinforced this notion and I'd absolutely argue it felt regressive and was the wrong film at the wrong time.

For my two cents, I actually think Superman '78 is doing a much better job making a comic that feels like the movies it is based on. Batman '89 is still very fun, though.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    The interior looks pretty spot on but the exterior almost looks more 50s than 70s...
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam

Quote Originally Posted by The Frog Bros View Post
    The interior looks pretty spot on but the exterior almost looks more 50s than 70s...
    Metropolis tends to be cast as the “retrofuture” city so that probably played a role

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I'd say the Superman, Batman, and Spider-Man films all followed more or less the same trajectory in terms of their first four films.

Their first ones were all considered classics, their second films built upon what worked in the first to great effect to the point that some prefer them to the original films, the third films are mixed bags, and the fourth are all absolute dumpster fires.

Sweet! Now we can look forward to that "plot twist" he referenced in that tweet.