Page 7 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

It's weird. I never got the sense that much timed passed between Superman and Superman II.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    It's weird. I never got the sense that much timed passed between Superman and Superman II.
    Donner originally didn’t plan for there to be. I think Superman 2 was going to pick up right after Superman 1 ended more or less.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Donner originally didn’t plan for there to be. I think Superman 2 was going to pick up right after Superman 1 ended more or less.
    Yeah, the Donner Cut shows Superman II picking up right after the original. Luthor's missile is diverted into space and is what frees Zod, Ursa and Non from the Phantom Zone.

Lester's theatrical version sets it some unknown amount of time after the first film...probably two years later based on the release dates.

Anyway, honestly none of the films changed the status quo much (or at all). They could easily set this after Superman IV as well...literally the only difference would be that Martha Kent would have passed away. Oh, and it being 1987 instead of 1978

Maybe for marketing purposes it makes sense to set it after Superman I since for many people it is the Superman movie. But from what we are seeing so far it certainly doesn't feel like it should be set before Superman II.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Donner's original plan was to make it a single movie, clocking in at like 5-6 hours. The studio kiboshed that for obvious reasons, split it out to I and II and then at some point they also kiboshed Donner over their creative differences with the second part. At least if I recall correctly...
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Darkseid Is (in this series apparently): https://twitter.com/mightyfineline/s...507314177?s=21

Yeah it looks like this will straight up be regular pre-marriage Superman for those who want that.
    Talk about breaking out the big guns! Who needs the Snyder cut when you have the Donner cut!
    Assassinate Putin!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    Hope he gets referenced at least

https://13thdimension.com/dc-sets-da...r-collections/

Hardcover collecting the first 12 issues is coming Nov 9th and we have confirmation Brainiac will show up in this!
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Hardcover collecting the first 12 issues is coming Nov 9th and we have confirmation Brainiac will show up in this!
    Well, my Christmas list is finished!
    Assassinate Putin!

And confirmation Luthor's going to be in it.

It's all anyone could want out of a Superman '78 comic .

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

That's the best Superman news of the week.

Incredible Member

I wonder if they decide to make a nod to Art Baltazar's "Superman Family Adventures", by making Otis into Parasite?

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Agree completely. It needs to feel like a story that could theoretically have been told in that universe as originally envisioned. Otherwise its just a modern Superman story with a '70's filter'

This was one thing which bothered me in the Batman '66/WW '77 crossover, as much as I loved it in every other aspect. I really don't think Dick should have been Nightwing in the 1977 chapter...as Nightwing was neither a concept that existed when the show was on air in the late 60's, nor did it exist in the comics of the 70's either!

One of the Batman'66 animated films had a couple of easter eggs to TDKR and played them for laughs...that kinda thing can work. But if this comic gives us a '70's remake' of Death of Superman, that's going to damage my immersion into this retro-world...

Nightwing was a concept in the Superman comics starting in the 60s. In the 80s when Dick chose Nightwing as his new code name, it was to honor Superman.
    John Martin, citizen & rightful ruler of the omniverse.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by llozymandias View Post
    Nightwing was a concept in the Superman comics starting in the 60s. In the 80s when Dick chose Nightwing as his new code name, it was to honor Superman.
    Yup. Dick basically wanted to acknowledge he had the coolest uncle ever.