Page 18 of 29 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

I’m definitely game for more set in this universe, Venditti does solid if unambitious storytelling with Superman. Would be very curious to see where he would go beyond Brainiac.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Incredible Member

I have a hard time believing Quest for Peace could ever be saved. I suffered through that movie.

Not that long ago I was watching a Johnny Carson rerun, with Christopher Reeve on it. He was
    so excited about the new Superman movie coming out. I died when they showed the clips
    to Quest for Peace.

Spectacular Member

The metahuman arms race from doomsday clock is basically a great remake of quest for peace trapped in a deeply mediocre watchmen sequel

Someone needs to make a story that adapts the metahuman arms race and the Superman theory without the doctor manhattan Nonsense
    Last edited by Vathlonian; 08-27-2021 at 10:55 AM.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RobinGA View Post
    Let us not get too much into Superman 3 because then it is a short walk over to Quest for Peace.
    Brainiac was supposed to be the main villain for Superman 3 but for some reason he wasn't. Probably because it would have gotten in the way of Richard Pryor being in it.
    Assassinate Putin!

Incredible Member

Fair point.

But there have been problems with so many Superman films. Almost like
    Superman is such a giant subject, that showing it on film overwhelms the
    directors, producers, writers. It becomes bigger crashes, bigger explosions,
    with the plot lost at times.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I’m definitely game for more set in this universe, Venditti does solid if unambitious storytelling with Superman. Would be very curious to see where he would go beyond Brainiac.
    Unambitious? That's kind of a shame. I might not like the direction the main part of the franchise is going in, but that doesn't mean I want Less from the Superman mythos instead of More.

Oh well, in the next few days I'll pick up a copy of '78 myself and see what I think. Maybe it'll surprise me.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    Unambitious? That's kind of a shame. I might not like the direction the main part of the franchise is going in, but that doesn't mean I want Less from the Superman mythos instead of More.

Oh well, in the next few days I'll pick up a copy of '78 myself and see what I think. Maybe it'll surprise me.
    I say “unambitious” because so far it seems like it’s following the same basic plot beats as Johns Brainiac arc. That Jor and Lara survived is an interesting twist that could definitely be a huge divergence however, but we’ll see where it goes. It’s a step up from his MoT work, I’m enjoying his Superman a lot more here.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Brainiac was supposed to be the main villain for Superman 3 but for some reason he wasn't. Probably because it would have gotten in the way of Richard Pryor being in it.
    True. And Nuclear Man was basically Bizarro.

Makes me wonder...if this arc is what Superman III could have been, maybe we'll get another arc that's what Superman IV should have been.

Incredible Member

While we're remaking movies, maybe we'll get Slater Supergirl meets Reeve Superman. And after that... Reeve Superman as the cancelled Nicolas Cage Superman?

Incredible Member

The Cage Superman would be interesting.

I would also love to see Superman Returns II.

But then I'm in the minority who actually liked Superman Returns.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by RobinGA View Post
    The Cage Superman would be interesting.

I would also love to see Superman Returns II.

But then I'm in the minority who actually liked Superman Returns.
    Something tells me that will be difficult due to the fact that most of the writers are either retired or persona non-grata at the entertainment industry.

But then again…it’s not like their Superman returns sequel ideas weren’t toxic

https://superman.fandom.com/wiki/Sup...e_Man_of_Steel

I don’t even want this as an elseworlds story…not even the dark multiverse

Incredible Member

I get your point.

The movie was just so special. Like an unexpected bag of money left on your doorstep.

Incredible Member

LMFAO, it appears getting rapidly aged up is just a constant for the Son of Superman across all media. What a way to adapt the Cir-El storyline.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan58 View Post
    LMFAO, it appears getting rapidly aged up is just a constant for the Son of Superman across all media. What a way to adapt the Cir-El storyline.
    It is bizarre and fascinating to me how common that trope is with regards to Supes kids.

Incredible Member

Yes, but for obvious reasons.
    I get that you need to show childhood more to give a fuller perspective
    about the Clark-Lois family life.

But stories with infants, babies who are only a couple of years old, present
    problems. The temptation is to just grow them up a little or else to
    skip ahead several years for a new entry point. Superman and Lois is a prime
    example of skipping most of childhood to focus on teenage sons.