Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Does DC want more of my money? Because that's how they get more of my money.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I know this is from Burton’s planned Superman movie, not Donner’s, but I honestly think Burton’s Brainiac would fit right in with Donnerverse Superman. It’s got that wild 70s sci-fi energy.

Fascinating how both Donner and Burton wanted to use Brainiac but were blocked by WB’s incompetence.
    Count Brainiac/Brainiatu is all I ever wanted what the hell.
    Last edited by Robanker; 02-16-2021 at 07:41 PM.

Guardian of the Universe comicstar100's Avatar

So excited, the original Superman film is still one of my all time favorite movies. This is a day one buy for me. I feel like we absolutely need Brainiac, such a shame he's never been in a movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Does DC want more of my money? Because that's how they get more of my money.

Count Brainiac/Brainiatu is all I ever wanted what the hell.
    Got a bit more Vader without the helmet but I can see that.

If it goes on long enough I wonder if Helen Slater Supergirl will pop up.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I know this is from Burton’s planned Superman movie, not Donner’s, but I honestly think Burton’s Brainiac would fit right in with Donnerverse Superman. It’s got that wild 70s sci-fi energy.

Fascinating how both Donner and Burton wanted to use Brainiac but were blocked by WB’s incompetence.
    Now, this is effing awesome.Brainiac looks like void from berserk
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by AdamFTF View Post
    These sorts of projects are interesting in theory. But the writers and artists always either restrict themselves to what was already used in the movies or TV shows or go way off base and introduce characters and concepts created decades later. If you're going to stick a year on the cover and draw on certain movies or TV productions for aesthetics, it would be more interesting to see them play with the toys that were available at the time and imagine what they might look like in a movie. I mean, while it might be interesting to see a '78 version of Doomsday or Livewire or Manchester Black, what I'd REALLY be more interested in is seeing is movie versions of classics like Metallo or Parasite (Maxwell Jensen version) or characters that were being played up in the '70s like Terra-Man or the Atomic Skull.
    Agree completely. It needs to feel like a story that could theoretically have been told in that universe as originally envisioned. Otherwise its just a modern Superman story with a '70's filter'

This was one thing which bothered me in the Batman '66/WW '77 crossover, as much as I loved it in every other aspect. I really don't think Dick should have been Nightwing in the 1977 chapter...as Nightwing was neither a concept that existed when the show was on air in the late 60's, nor did it exist in the comics of the 70's either!

One of the Batman'66 animated films had a couple of easter eggs to TDKR and played them for laughs...that kinda thing can work. But if this comic gives us a '70's remake' of Death of Superman, that's going to damage my immersion into this retro-world...

You kinda have to wonder why this wasn't already a thing years ago.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    You kinda have to wonder why this wasn't already a thing years ago.
    They have to negotiate with the actors in order to get the rights to their likenesses. It takes a lot of time.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    They have to negotiate with the actors in order to get the rights to their likenesses. It takes a lot of time.
    It unfortunately probably helps that most of the actors whose likenesses will be in this have passed away in the last few years.

This looks good,but I must say that the Batman 89 is more intriguing at the moment. Apparently they are basically doing the Burton verse version of Batman 3 instead of this which is being set between I and II.

I'm still gonna get it because, you know,Superman.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

So,how did they getaway with nick fury?
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    So,how did they getaway with nick fury?
    It could have gone very, very badly for them. Luckily, Sam Jackson took it as a compliment (and potential long-term paycheck). When Millar tried that stunt again with Eminem and Halle Berry on Wanted, it reportedly didn't go over as well

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    It unfortunately probably helps that most of the actors whose likenesses will be in this have passed away in the last few years.
    They still have to negotiate with the late actor's estate, which is, if the rumor mill is to be trusted, is the reason we're not getting a Superman '55 comic.

This is a pleasantly surprising announcement. I enjoyed Venditti's Man of Tomorrow stories from last year, the dude writes a solid Superman, Clark Kent and Lois Lane. He did a great job with the Triangle Era married dynamic between Clark and Lois, so it will be interesting to see how he handles the characterisation from the Superman movie, which is the opposite of what he was doing in Man of Tomorrow. It looks like he'll be writing his take on the deleted scene from the first Superman movie so I look forward to Venditti's take on that. Torres' art really captures the world of the movie and his Clark and Lois are near spitting images of Reeve and Kidder.

I have to say I'm glad it's not Mark Waid who is writing this series. Waid is well past his writing prime based on his recent Marvel work, and the stories I've read of Waid's behaviour do not paint him in a pleasant light. If this were Waid in his prime, perhaps he could do a better job. As things are now, Venditti is the superior choice in my book.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

They still have to negotiate with the late actor's estate, which is, if the rumor mill is to be trusted, is the reason we're not getting a Superman '55 comic.
    They are definitely using Chris and Margot's likenesses but I wonder if and when they ever touch on Lex Luthor if they will use Gene Hackman"s likeness. I somehow doubt they will given hes still alive and the asking price would likely be high. Same with Brandos estate and Jor-El.

I noticed on the Batman 89 they arent using exact likenesses of Alfred and Comish Gordon and are kinda doing a fusion of the comics version and their actors. Even Bruce/ Batman isn't a 1/1 likeness of Michael Keaton,although it is evocative of him. They gave him graying temples and fuller hair.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Was not aware of these things, sounds like a nightmare to get such thing rolling and you likely have to work for years to even get everyone on the same page.