Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by AdamFTF View Post
    I don't think Robin growing up and not being Robin anymore would have been a concept in either '66 or '77. Anyway, that's how I felt about the Wonder Woman '77 special using Barbara Minerva version of the Cheetah. It should have been Priscilla Rich or they should have created their own Cheetah like the show created its own Wonder Girl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    The only thing I didn't like about the Batman '66/ WW '77 crossover was that, during those 11 years, the Joker basically started turning into the Post-Crisis Joker, murdered Alfred and Batman, in a fit of rage, killed the Joker. It's just not in keeping with the show. They pushed WW regularly a little beyond the 1970s shoe but this was way beyond.

I don't really mind characters showing up that didn't exist in the 1960s as long as they are done in the style of the Batman 1960s show. Bane and Harley Quinn were done nicely in a way that fit Batman '66.

The crossover, of course, had to be in 1977 since that's when WW returned to Man's World. If they were dealing with a real 11 years, I suppose Dick Grayson would be 25 and would be Nightwing. But I'd prefer that the Adam West Batman never be taken in that direction.
    Dick Grayson had to be in his mid-20's, but he didn't have to be Nightwing. They could easily have had him show up as Robin, with a redesigned suit. Maybe a suit based on the Earth Two Robin suit that was in the comics in the 70's. It would have been more appropriate to the era than Nightwing.

I understand what you mean about the Joker thing not keeping with the tone of the show. Somehow that didn't bother me as much. The Joker had been a fairly dark and violent character when he was introduced in 1940, and in the 70's they were going back to that interpretation and building upon it. So I could kinda imagine that, maybe a decade later, Cesar Romero's Joker would go off the deep end and become a killer. I mean, its a story they could hypothetically have told had the show been revived in 1977! Not so with the Nightwing thing...

I haven't read much of the '66 Batman comic beyond that crossover so I dunno about the Bane and Harley Quinn thing. Must check it out!

But yeah, getting back to topic - I really don't think I'd want to see a '70's Doomsday' in this particular series...

Incredible Member

I really hope they get around to doing comic adaptations of Superman The Movie and Superman 2 as we never did any of it back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Huh not even Red & Blue or Yang Batman/Superman interests you?
    Honestly, I assumed the Yang thing was part of the ongoing regular continuity of that title so was just waiting to see the reviews (Yang in the main continuity interests me less when he can do his own thing like with Smashes), so I haven't really looked up the news for it...

And somehow I just missed the news for Red & Blue entirely. Gonna have to check up the news on both more to see if it's my kind of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Honestly, I assumed the Yang thing was part of the ongoing regular continuity of that title so was just waiting to see the reviews (Yang in the main continuity interests me less when he can do his own thing like with Smashes), so I haven't really looked up the news for it...

And somehow I just missed the news for Red & Blue entirely. Gonna have to check up the news on both more to see if it's my kind of thing.
    For Yang, his Batman/Superman title seems to be focusing on Multiversial Supermen and Batmen. The Earth 0 version will show up, probably observing these Elseworld guys, but his first couple of stuff seems focused on the Superman and Batman from an Earth based on the radio serials. So very much in the vein of Smashes The Klan.

Red & Blue has me very interested based on the creative teams and isn’t involved with the mainline continuity at all so there will probably be at least one thing in there to catch your attention. Going to look pretty if nothing else.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    For Yang, his Batman/Superman title seems to be focusing on Multiversial Supermen and Batmen. The Earth 0 version will show up, probably observing these Elseworld guys, but his first couple of stuff seems focused on the Superman and Batman from an Earth based on the radio serials. So very much in the vein of Smashes The Klan.

Red & Blue has me very interested based on the creative teams and isn’t involved with the mainline continuity at all so there will probably be at least one thing in there to catch your attention. Going to look pretty if nothing else.
    Looking at them, I'll probably snag Red & Blue for sure, definitely my kind of thing like Batman Black & White, and wait on the reviews for the first trade of Yang's Batman/Superman and go from there. Bet definitely promising, I love the sort of Elseworlds/Multiverse stuff, and the more Golden Age takes definitely has my interest. Plus I looked it up since and those designs look great.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mace Dolex View Post
    I really hope they get around to doing comic adaptations of Superman The Movie and Superman 2 as we never did any of it back in the day.
    Reportedly, Mario Puzo had a stipulation in his contract that no adaptation could be made from his work on Superman, which is why Maggin's Last Son of Krypton was used instead of a proper novelization and why the Superman Returns Prequel comics had to dance around giving a full recap of the Donner films.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Reportedly, Mario Puzo had a stipulation in his contract that no adaptation could be made from his work on Superman, which is why Maggin's Last Son of Krypton was used instead of a proper novelization and why the Superman Returns Prequel comics had to dance around giving a full recap of the Donner films.
    That's strange. Was a reason given?
    Assassinate Putin!

at least now they can bring in the 1984 Supergirl and have them interact. Presumably.
    I wonder how long will they maintain the conceit of being in the late 70s early 80s for the backdrop? hmm..

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    at least now they can bring in the 1984 Supergirl and have them interact. Presumably.
    I wonder how long will they maintain the conceit of being in the late 70s early 80s for the backdrop? hmm..
    With the exception of the crossover with WW, Batman '66 stayed in the late 1960s for the whole run.

Wonder Woman '77 stayed in the late 1970s for the whole run.

I suspect Superman '78 will never get out of the 1970s or, at best, into the early 1980s.

Going beyond that era, except in some one time special like seeing Adam West Batman meeting WW in the late 1970s, would just go totally against what most people want.
    Power with Girl is better.

I'm hoping for a crossover between the 78 Superman and the 89 Batman but with the Flash movie using him, that seems unlikely.
    Assassinate Putin!

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Courtesy of a Torres post on Twitter tagged Superman78, we got our first new villain:

Buh-bye

I'm gonna love seeing how they do him in this universe.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    Courtesy of a Torres post on Twitter tagged Superman78, we got our first new villain:

Bizarro! Classic, but effective .

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    That's strange. Was a reason given?
    None that I've heard, but it's the reason why DC has never capitalized on what several creators over the years have wanted to do. Byrne was originally slated to do it for the Superman Returns Prequel comics, but then pulled out when Didio found out about Puzo's contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    None that I've heard, but it's the reason why DC has never capitalized on what several creators over the years have wanted to do. Byrne was originally slated to do it for the Superman Returns Prequel comics, but then pulled out when Didio found out about Puzo's contract.
    I wonder if it was a royalties thing.
    Assassinate Putin!