Page 8 of 29 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by llozymandias View Post
    Nightwing was a concept in the Superman comics starting in the 60s. In the 80s when Dick chose Nightwing as his new code name, it was to honor Superman.
    Yeah, but Nightwing as Dick Grayson's post-Robin identity wasn't established till a good 15 years after the show ended. That's what I'm talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Yeah, but Nightwing as Dick Grayson's post-Robin identity wasn't established till a good 15 years after the show ended. That's what I'm talking about.

You implied that Nightwing was not a concept in the comics. Until the 80s the only two Robins were Bruce Wayne & Dick Grayson. Also before the 80s it was always assumed that Dick's post-Robin identity would be Batman.
    John Martin, citizen & rightful ruler of the omniverse.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by llozymandias View Post
    You implied that Nightwing was not a concept in the comics. Until the 80s the only two Robins were Bruce Wayne & Dick Grayson. Also before the 80s it was always assumed that Dick's post-Robin identity would be Batman.
    Yeah, I was talking in terms of Nightwing as Dick's post-Robin identity. That wasn't a concept in 1966 or 1977!

It would have been more accurate to the era of both the original show, and the setting of that particular issue, if they'd shown Dick as Robin in a more 'adult' version of his suit...possible the Earth 2 version.

Anyway, its a small nitpick...

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Yeah, I was talking in terms of Nightwing as Dick's post-Robin identity. That wasn't a concept in 1966 or 1977!

It would have been more accurate to the era of both the original show, and the setting of that particular issue, if they'd shown Dick as Robin in a more 'adult' version of his suit...possible the Earth 2 version.

Anyway, its a small nitpick...
    Since Batman '66 was set in the late 1960s, after the show was over, and every story would be in that 1968-69 era no matter how long it ran, with the exception of that one crossover with WW, so you don't have any real passage of time, and Batman was retired by the time of WW '77, they actually could have had Dick Grayson become Batman.

Batman '66, WW '77 and, probably, Superman '78, will be the reverse of most comics. In most comics, you've got stories that really happened in the '60s, '70s and so on, constantly being updated to having happened more and more recently, at least at Marvel. At DC, you've just got endless restarts. Every Superman '78 story will probably stay in the time between Superman and Superman II.
    Power with Girl is better.

Looks like Mongul will be in as well

https://twitter.com/mightyfineline/s...888306178?s=21
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Kinda cramming as many villains as they can in there, aren't they?
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    It’s basically an open play box to do whatever you want in so I totally get why. If this is meant to be the “classic” pre-marriage Superman showcase then you’d want to use as many classic Superman Rogues as possible. And the solicit for the collection makes it seem like Brainiac and Lex will be the main bad guys for the first arcs, so these guys might just be cameos or set up for focus later on down the line.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Admittedly they probably want to get in as many as they can for this one series since they're not getting 50-sum odd issues like Batman '66 did.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    It’s basically an open play box to do whatever you want in so I totally get why. If this is meant to be the “classic” pre-marriage Superman showcase then you’d want to use as many classic Superman Rogues as possible. And the solicit for the collection makes it seem like Brainiac and Lex will be the main bad guys for the first arcs, so these guys might just be cameos or set up for focus later on down the line.
    Yeah, I recall the Batman '66 and WW '77 ones had some that were just walk-on page cameos rather than villains of multi-issue arcs. I wouldn't be surprised if some of these weren't more than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Yeah, I recall the Batman '66 and WW '77 ones had some that were just walk-on page cameos rather than villains of multi-issue arcs. I wouldn't be surprised if some of these weren't more than that.
    Those comics definitely did spend some time focusing on introducing/incorporating members of the Rogues Gallery that never actually appeared in the adaptions they were based on.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Those comics definitely did spend some time focusing on introducing/incorporating members of the Rogues Gallery that never actually appeared in the adaptions they were based on.
    I mean that is something of the appeal, isn't it? Especially for say villains who were around at the time of the shows but for one reason or another never got to appear like Two-Face for Batman '66 or most of Wonder Woman's rogues as the show only adapted two villains (both of whom were non-costumed ones).

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I mean that is something of the appeal, isn't it? Especially for say villains who were around at the time of the shows but for one reason or another never got to appear like Two-Face for Batman '66 or most of Wonder Woman's rogues as the show only adapted two villains (both of whom were non-costumed ones).
    Yes, I guess Two-Face's appearance was considered too scary for kids? So they substituted a villain called False-Face. Though it never made sense why they didn't just call him Two-Face but change the appearance.

Then there is also the fun of introducing villains that did not exist in the 1960s but doing it in a way that made it fit and funny like Bane as a Luche Libre wrestler.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Yes, I guess Two-Face's appearance was considered too scary for kids? So they substituted a villain called False-Face. Though it never made sense why they didn't just call him Two-Face but change the appearance.

Then there is also the fun of introducing villains that did not exist in the 1960s but doing it in a way that made it fit and funny like Bane as a Luche Libre wrestler.
    And then False Face turns out to be Clayface .

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Wasn't False Face an actual villain from the TV show? I think he was like a master of disguise or something zainy like that...
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Quote Originally Posted by The Frog Bros View Post
    Wasn't False Face an actual villain from the TV show? I think he was like a master of disguise or something zainy like that...
    Correct. [Added blah blah for minimum length of message].