Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Are there any incidents of a love interest cheating on the main/titular hero?

Asking because I've been re-watching Friday Night Lights

I don't think I've seen this since comics are usually wish-fulfillment.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    Asking because I've been re-watching Friday Night Lights

I don't think I've seen this since comics are usually wish-fulfillment.
    The Sword Of The Atom opens with Ray Palmer catching Jean Loring-Palmer being unfaithful to him with another lawyer from her firm. That became a motivating point in Identity Crisis's (dreadful) plot.
    Last edited by DrNewGod; 02-17-2021 at 08:04 AM.

Amazing Member

Jade cheated on Kyle Rayner at some point iirc

I think Devin Grayson retconned Dick Grayson into cheating on Starfire with Oracle when he was engaged to the former.

And while not quite what you were asking for, Mike Grell started the end of his run on Green Arrow by having Dinah find him being kissed by a younger woman. That led a "break" (Trademark by Ross Gellar) in the GA/BC relationship for quite a few years.

The Sword Of The Atom opens with Ray Palmer catching Jean Loring-Palmer being unfaithful to him with another lawyer from his firm. That became a motivating point in Identity Crisis's (dreadful) plot.
    Good call. Of course, it came out of absolutely nowhere, IIRC, since their relationship was good when we last saw them shortly before that. I wasn't exactly happy with the vilification (made so incredibly much heavier in Identity Crisis, of course) of the silver age woman who actually prized her career to the degree of not being marriage-minded (while men who were the same are heroes). Not that I think anyone was thinking of that at the time.

I think Devin Grayson retconned Dick Grayson into cheating on Starfire with Oracle when he was engaged to the former.
    I hate her perception of Dick Grayson. But I believe that comes from Nightwing Annual 2, which Grayson did not write. And it wouldn't qualify anyway, because he was the titular hero, and cheating rather than being cheated on. Him getting way with it (which he did, since it was retconned into the past and so results in him maintaining friendly relationships with both after the incident) would qualify as wish fulfillment.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 02-16-2021 at 05:04 PM.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    Good call. Of course, it came out of absolutely nowhere, IIRC, since their relationship was good when we last saw them shortly before that. I wasn't exactly happy with the vilification (made so incredibly much heavier in Identity Crisis, of course) of the only silver age woman who actually prized her career and wasn't marriage-focused (while men who were the same are heroes). Not that I think anyone was thinking of that at the time.
    True that Jean was the most self-realized of WAGs from the Silver/Bronze Age (except for Shayera Thal). As for out of nowhere, that's also true, I gave it a pass as The Atom's adventures had been largely few and far between outside of JLA and I took it as "life happened whilst we weren't looking."

BANNED

Thanks for the responses.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    The Sword Of The Atom opens with Ray Palmer catching Jean Loring-Palmer being unfaithful to him with another lawyer from his firm. That became a motivating point in Identity Crisis's (dreadful) plot.
    Brutal.

Bet that made him feel small.

I hate her perception of Dick Grayson. But I believe that comes from Nightwing Annual 2, which Grayson did not write. And it wouldn't qualify anyway, because he was the titular hero, and cheating rather than being cheated on. Him getting way with it (which he did, since it was retconned into the past and so results in him maintaining friendly relationships with both after the incident) would qualify as wish fulfillment.
    Was this published after Nightwing Year One where we get a moment with Dick and Babs that made it look like Dick was perfectly willing to cheat on Kori with Babs until Babs put a stop to it?
    Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    Brutal.

Bet that made him feel small.
    Hitting a dude where it hurts...

Was this published after Nightwing Year One where we get a moment with Dick and Babs that made it look like Dick was perfectly willing to cheat on Kori with Babs until Babs put a stop to it?
    After. I admit, I had to look them up. I avoid reading that era of Dick Grayson, and thus have only read about those issues, rather than having actually read them. I did try to read Nightwing Year One, once, before I'd heard all the bad things about it, but noped out quickly. So that means I'm not a fan of Batman: Year One, Nightwing: Year One, Batgirl: Year One, or even Robin: Year one (which I thought started fun, but went down hill).

Edited for content.
    Last edited by Riv86672; 02-16-2021 at 07:39 PM.

Green Arrow cheated on Black Canary in a pretty awful storyline.
    I agree with the 'horrible storyline" part, but that was still titular hero cheating, not being cheated on. At least, I thought it was in a Green Arrow comic. So doesn't meet the criteria for the question asked.

After. I admit, I had to look them up. I avoid reading that era of Dick Grayson, and thus have only read about those issues, rather than having actually read them. I did try to read Nightwing Year One, once, before I'd heard all the bad things about it, but noped out quickly. So that means I'm not a fan of Batman: Year One, Nightwing: Year One, Batgirl: Year One, or even Robin: Year one (which I thought started fun, but went down hill).
    And I actually enjoyed all of them. Different strokes .

I agree with the 'horrible storyline" part, but that was still titular hero cheating, not being cheated on. At least, I thought it was in a Green Arrow comic. So doesn't meet the criteria for the question asked.
    ^^^^^okay.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Jean on Ray
    Jenni on Kyle
    Cassie on Connor (with Tim, his best mate!)

Can someone tell me if Hal and Carol were still a thing when he hooked up with Kyle?? I don't recall it officially ending. (Man, what a STUPID idea. Hated it SOOOOO much!)
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    Jean on Ray
    Jenni on Kyle
    Cassie on Connor (with Tim, his best mate!)

Can someone tell me if Hal and Carol were still a thing when he hooked up with Kyle?? I don't recall it officially ending. (Man, what a STUPID idea. Hated it SOOOOO much!)
    If you mean Carol, they basically broke up at the start of Venditti's run to leave her open to be with Kyle.

(And yeah, I hated it too).