Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default What did Rorschach do for money?

I know it's mentioned almost in passing that he got a job at a clothiers working with womens clothing which scared/terrified/offended him, but that was in his early 20's and it surely didn't pay much.

In the present day of Watchmen (1985) he seems to spend his daylight hours wandering around with his various KARAZEEE!!! whackjob signboards. His apartment is a shithole, and he doesn't seem to panhandle, so where does he get money? Does he take the wallets/jewelry of the ruffians he accosts?

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Nite Owl suggests that he mooches a lot, but yeah, I'd imagine he reposesses stolen goods from his victims, lol.

what indeed

The J-man

BANNED

Honestly, he probably panhandled, ate trash, and lived on the streets. He might've also justified robbing criminals with some rationale like civil forfeiture of criminal assets.

People worship Rorschach not realizing that Moore used him as a central figure in the book because he was too far gone mentally to solve the mystery on his own. He thought breaking the fingers of random crooks would solve some conspiracy to kill capes, but none of his moves make logical sense, besides warning the others. Nite-Owl is the one who puts the pieces together, but Dan was too impotent mentally to take action in the beginning. Having Rorschach be unstable is how Moore was able to get the story to last 12 issues, allowing him time to develop his world and his characters. I mean, all of Rorschach's internal monologue is just cool sounding nonsense, poking fun at Steve Ditko's Mr. A.

I don't think Rorschach really had the mental competence or even the desire to hold down a job. I mean, could you imagine him clocking in and out of somewhere every day? I think it's easier to imagine him living like a crazy homeless guy.
    Last edited by SecretWarrior; 02-16-2021 at 11:12 PM.

Acquiring the necessary funds is simple. Obvious Rorschach did this...

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    Honestly, he probably panhandled, ate trash, and lived on the streets. He might've also justified robbing criminals with some rationale like civil forfeiture of criminal assets.

People worship Rorschach not realizing that Moore used him as a central figure in the book because he was too far gone mentally to solve the mystery on his own. He thought breaking the fingers of random crooks would solve some conspiracy to kill capes, but none of his moves make logical sense, besides warning the others. Nite-Owl is the one who puts the pieces together, but Dan was too impotent mentally to take action in the beginning. Having Rorschach be unstable is how Moore was able to get the story to last 12 issues, allowing him time to develop his world and his characters. I mean, all of Rorschach's internal monologue is just cool sounding nonsense, poking fun at Steve Ditko's Mr. A.

I don't think Rorschach really had the mental competence or even the desire to hold down a job. I mean, could you imagine him clocking in and out of somewhere every day? I think it's easier to imagine him living like a crazy homeless guy.
    Now that I think about it, making Rorschach a homeless man is one of the funniest ways he taunted Ditko. The objectivist "hero" relies on alms or thievery to survive, and even then he lives like trash.

Or maybe that's precisely Ditko's point? That whoever lacks the drive and the talent to sucess will always have a life like Rorschach? In a way Ozymandias is the self made man that Ditko would've admired right? But he is the "villain" whose hubris kills half of New York.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    Nite Owl suggests that he mooches a lot, but yeah, I'd imagine he reposesses stolen goods from his victims, lol.
    He did eat his beans

Professional sign holder.

Boisterously Confused

Probably whatever odd jobs he could find.

I thought he worked for a dress maker and that's how he got the dress that he made the mask out of. The dress wasn't picked up while he worked there. Right?
    Help a fellow fan out and check out my writing, please:
    My Cage comic strip:
    Re-Runs: https://www.webtoons.com/en/challeng...itle_no=539047
    New: https://www.patreon.com/mycage
    Thanks!

All-New Member

In Before Watchmen I recall him cleaning a church

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

He was a Hoo-er like his mother.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by edpower View Post
    I thought he worked for a dress maker and that's how he got the dress that he made the mask out of. The dress wasn't picked up while he worked there. Right?
    That was in flashback before the dog incident and the superhero ban, not in the present narrative.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I assumed he still had his job with the dressmaker. There's nothing in the story to indicate he lost it. Unless I'm not remembering right.
    Assassinate Putin!

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    Yeah, this is what I always thought...that he sponges off Dan and the last couple of people that would still put up with him. To tell the truth though it's not hard to imagine Rorschach being on SSI or something.