Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What are you thoughts on the value of Batman (Bruce) comics 10+ years from now?

I own every single physical issue from around 1977-2011, mini series, Bat, Tec, all of them and DO NOT collect for value, but still like to know what I have.

Being a teacher, on top of having kids, I talk to a lot of young people as well as hear things.

I can honestly say that I just do not think Batman, as Bruce Wayne at least, will not be nearly as popular going forward, now this is my opinion but just wanted to hear what you thought.

It seems kids want something different now and that will carry on and only grow I think, a white, rich, superhero by night seems to be losing steam.

BANNED

Kids will grow old eventually and want the same thing that their parents wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    What are you thoughts on the value of Batman (Bruce) comics 10+ years from now?
    Hard to say what, if any, value they'd have.
    If people don't already own them, would they want physical copies or just look for digital reproductions?

GENERALLY, even if a comic "is worth" say $XX.xx, a collector only wants to pay about 20% of that amount. For example, a $10 comic would be bought for $2, a $100 comic for $20.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Hard to say what, if any, value they'd have.
    If people don't already own them, would they want physical copies or just look for digital reproductions?
    I went from owning lots of Batman, to selling them all in 2012 due to family issues, to getting so many digital comics I started hoarding and never reading them. For some reason I was getting so many free, I became less interested vs focusing physical collecting to a few, my faves are Bruce, JLA and JSA

Then a few years ago I got ahead and spent some bucks on attaining about 98% of all Bruce Wayne related comics from 1980-2011

So you are right MajorHoy but I will say this, talking to a lot of younger adults, they feel physical media will be nostalgic in 10-15 years and make a roaring comeback, at least that is what the handful I chatted with saw, including my 22 year old niece who went from strictly digital to becoming addicted to physical books

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Batman losing popularity would probably be very good for me if it means the value of Batman back issues would become more inexpensive.

I don't see Batman becoming less popular.

I have every issue of Batman and Detective from 1973 on, there are a lot of factors as to the value. They print runs right now are pretty low compared to the 90's and early 2000's, but you can still get most the the Rebirth pretty cheap except for the Punchline stuff. Though the speculation is insane right now in comics, reminds me of the 90's.

Even some of the late 70's, early 80's stuff can be had somewhat cheap except for keys.

If/when DC stops floppies, I may be done. There is no real effort into putting together a run of hundreds of books including keys. It's not special.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Quote Originally Posted by SixSpeedSamurai View Post
    I don't see Batman becoming less popular.

I have every issue of Batman and Detective from 1973 on, there are a lot of factors as to the value. They print runs right now are pretty low compared to the 90's and early 2000's, but you can still get most the the Rebirth pretty cheap except for the Punchline stuff. Though the speculation is insane right now in comics, reminds me of the 90's.

Even some of the late 70's, early 80's stuff can be had somewhat cheap except for keys.

If/when DC stops floppies, I may be done. There is no real effort into putting together a run of hundreds of books including keys. It's not special.

I got tiered of the reboots and just decided I am perfectly happy with 2011 and before only so that is where I focused

Do you think future kids/adults may look back at the older stuff before New 52 and like the fact of continuous numbering, no rebooting and all in all IMO better stories and drive them?

You are so right, this speculation is exactly like revisiting the 90's it is unreal and I blame it all on the MCU and Madealorean. People saw what happened to back issues when that character is on the big screen or TV. I am not sure if DC will do that, with all that is happening. I mean first appearances were always big but now, it is HUGE. Also Covid has a lot into nostalgia and also sitting around more, looking for stuff to buy

Fantastic Member

No offense, the question seems to be based off a flawed premise. "The kids I'm around, who don't represent all kids or all people who consume superhero media, don't like a rich white guy as a superhero, so will the guy who's been one of the most popular superheroes for the past 80 years, with no tangible evidence of declining popularity suddenly not be as popular 10 years from now?"

I own every single physical issue from around 1977-2011, mini series, Bat, Tec, all of them and DO NOT collect for value, but still like to know what I have.

Being a teacher, on top of having kids, I talk to a lot of young people as well as hear things.

I can honestly say that I just do not think Batman, as Bruce Wayne at least, will not be nearly as popular going forward, now this is my opinion but just wanted to hear what you thought.

It seems kids want something different now and that will carry on and only grow I think, a white, rich, superhero by night seems to be losing steam.
    Does this apply to all rich white superheroes, like Iron Man too? I don't think his race or wealth has anything to do with his popularity, anecdotally kids and young people like him a lot from what I've seen.

Outside of the golden age, I really do not think comics are worth as much as we think.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    Outside of the golden age, I really do not think comics are worth as much as we think.
    They're worth as much as somebody else is willing to pay for them.

I got tiered of the reboots and just decided I am perfectly happy with 2011 and before only so that is where I focused

Do you think future kids/adults may look back at the older stuff before New 52 and like the fact of continuous numbering, no rebooting and all in all IMO better stories and drive them?

You are so right, this speculation is exactly like revisiting the 90's it is unreal and I blame it all on the MCU and Madealorean. People saw what happened to back issues when that character is on the big screen or TV. I am not sure if DC will do that, with all that is happening. I mean first appearances were always big but now, it is HUGE. Also Covid has a lot into nostalgia and also sitting around more, looking for stuff to buy
    I'm not sure. Those that are in it for the money will eventually find their way to the older stuff as it's more stable of an investment. I follow a lot of Batman groups, and most at least read Year One/DKR/Killing Joke/Knightfall/Arkham Asylum. From 2011 on, the only "classic" story is Court of Owls really.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

If you're talking money I would say full set like the OP has might be worth about $10,000-$15,000 depending on condition and demand.

If you're talking about the cultural value of characters like Bruce Wayne and Tony Stark (not as Batman and Iron Man) probably won't be worth much, simply because people are starting to realize that most, (like 99.99%), of billionaires are greedy evil corporate scumbags and even that 0.01% are basically just looking good for PR.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SixSpeedSamurai View Post
    I'm not sure. Those that are in it for the money will eventually find their way to the older stuff as it's more stable of an investment. I follow a lot of Batman groups, and most at least read Year One/DKR/Killing Joke/Knightfall/Arkham Asylum. From 2011 on, the only "classic" story is Court of Owls really.
    For me Curse of the White Knight and Earth One are as good as if not better than Court of Owls