Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Thezmage View Post
    I really don't think we have to worry about Disney making a puppy murderer and inefficient fashion designer (who needs 99 puppies to make one coat?) whose name is Cruel Devil into a sympathetic figure.

Even Once Upon a Time didn't do that, and they humanized Hades.

OUAT spoilers:
    It looked they would when they established that Cruella's mother had her dalmatians attack her in order to keep her in line, only to reveal that her mother was trying to keep Cruella from killing people.
    end of spoilers

She's just not a subtle character.
    Admittedly, Hades isn't really a villain in the myths so that choice was a lot more justified.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackClaw View Post
    Is Disney really trying to make us sympathize with a broad that wants to kill puppies?
    What about this trailer makes anyone think Cruella is being portrayed sympathetically?

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

There is a bit of an indication that her transformation into Cruella is partly because of Emma Thompson character's influence in the trailer, I guess? Reminds me a bit of Oz The Great And Powerful in how they tackled the Wicked Witch.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    There is a bit of an indication that her transformation into Cruella is partly because of Emma Thompson character's influence in the trailer, I guess? Reminds me a bit of Oz The Great And Powerful in how they tackled the Wicked Witch.
    I'm not seeing that at all. She even says, "I was born bad". Nothing in this trailer hints at a sympathetic backstory at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I'm not seeing that at all. She even says, "I was born bad". Nothing in this trailer hints at a sympathetic backstory at all.
    Well maybe more potential for evil into full evil then. But certainly so far we are seeing what appears to be a bad vs bad film here. Emma Thompson's character is literally living at Hell Hall and has Devil as her last name I think.

I can't imagine any movie could ever make me sympathize with a puppy murderer.

Mighty Member

Is Disney setting up a Disneyverse or Villainverse? Cause first it was Malfecent now Cruella. Who's next? The Wicked Stepmother from Cinderella?

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    Is Disney setting up a Disneyverse or Villainverse? Cause first it was Malfecent now Cruella. Who's next? The Wicked Stepmother from Cinderella?
    I'd vote Hades. Get James Woods back and everything.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Gaston. The Beast really was an evil kidnapper who only fell for him because Stockholm Syndrome.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Woods has gotten into some hot water recently. That may not be a good idea in Disney's eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ptrvc View Post
    I can't imagine any movie could ever make me sympathize with a puppy murderer.
    Attempted puppy murderer. She never actually committed puppy murder. Which makes her completely innocent and fair game for a movie, obviously...by Disney logic.

I don’t see the trailer as painting Cruella anything remotely near sympathetic. Maybe a descent into further madness.

Did I watch the wrong one?

Mighty Member

I don’t think the Maleficent trailers painted her as sympathetic either, but we all know what happened there.

So how are we going to twist her victims into acts of love? She stole the puppies from Anita and Roger to take care of them?

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    Like I said, Judge Frollo. Go on Disney, I dare ya.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    Like I said, Judge Frollo. Go on Disney, I dare ya.
    Jafar! That'd be a good one