Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BANNED

I agree that this is an incredibly reductive question which, quite frankly, has often in the past just led to unfairness towards Lois rooted in either misunderstanding of the narrative itself or outright expressions of sexism. It’s a question that doesn’t really need to be asked anymore. Not when so many stories have already clearly provided the answer and the answer is always the same even if expressed differently.

Lois loves the real man. The man he is inside whether he’s wearing glasses or a cape. That’s who she is drawn to. At times, that authenticity comes through most clearly as Superman and, at times, it comes through most clearly when he’s dressed as Clark Kent.

Clark Kent is Superman and Lois Lane is the bridge between Clark Kent and Superman.

Smallville even went so far as to state that Superman is so intrinsically a part of Clark that Clark could not be the man that Lois needed him to be while he was still denying that side of himself. Only in embracing the Super coukd he unlock his true self and only in doing that could he be the man she needed.

The crime is that we’ve ever asked her to choose between Clark and Superman when we would never (or should never) as for Clark to choose between the two sides of himself. She shouldn’t have to choose.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelliebly View Post
    I agree that this is an incredibly reductive question which, quite frankly, has often in the past just led to unfairness towards Lois rooted in either misunderstanding of the narrative itself or outright expressions of sexism. It’s a question that doesn’t really need to be asked anymore. Not when so many stories have already clearly provided the answer and the answer is always the same even if expressed differently.

Lois loves the real man. The man he is inside whether he’s wearing glasses or a cape. That’s who she is drawn to. At times, that authenticity comes through most clearly as Superman and, at times, it comes through most clearly when he’s dressed as Clark Kent.

Clark Kent is Superman and Lois Lane is the bridge between Clark Kent and Superman.

Smallville even went so far as to state that Superman is so intrinsically a part of Clark that Clark could not be the man that Lois needed him to be while he was still denying that side of himself. Only in embracing the Super coukd he unlock his true self and only in doing that could he be the man she needed.

The crime is that we’ve ever asked her to choose between Clark and Superman when we would never (or should never) as for Clark to choose between the two sides of himself. She shouldn’t have to choose.
    That makes sort of sense for Silver Age, Lois & Clark and the original Superman movies, because Lois actually has conversations with Superman and stuff.

But otherwise, Lois loving Superman is like me loving, I don't know, any Soccer Player. Or a politician. Or model. You can certainly appreciate what they do and admire them, but you can't love someone you don't actually know.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Having watched Superman the Movie a few times somewhat recently, I noticed something I hadn't noticed before. While she is enamored with Superman, there is a subtle moment very early on before that where she digs Clark. Its the scene where Clark first goes to the Planet and meets Lois (and everybody else) for the first time. After their brief conversation, and after he asks Perry to send half his paycheck to dear old Mom, she shows him to his desk. Clark is immediately taken with Lois, but right as they each sit down at their respective desks, she glances over at him and they share a moment. Subtle, but its definitely there, and she sees something she likes in Clark.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

....Lois loves the real man. The man he is inside whether he’s wearing glasses or a cape. That’s who she is drawn to. At times, that authenticity comes through most clearly as Superman and, at times, it comes through most clearly when he’s dressed as Clark Kent.

Clark Kent is Superman and Lois Lane is the bridge between Clark Kent and Superman....
    That's a beautiful way of putting it, bravo.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by The Frog Bros View Post
    Having watched Superman the Movie a few times somewhat recently, I noticed something I hadn't noticed before. While she is enamored with Superman, there is a subtle moment very early on before that where she digs Clark. Its the scene where Clark first goes to the Planet and meets Lois (and everybody else) for the first time. After their brief conversation, and after he asks Perry to send half his paycheck to dear old Mom, she shows him to his desk. Clark is immediately taken with Lois, but right as they each sit down at their respective desks, she glances over at him and they share a moment. Subtle, but its definitely there, and she sees something she likes in Clark.
    oh she likes Clark... as a friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Yes. The correct answer is "yes."

To be slightly less of a dick, it's incredibly reductive to need to consider them different people than parts of the same man she fell in love with. Post-Crisis posits she loves Clark, but they only marry once he fully lets her in to both sides of his life. She loves them both.
    This right here.

Clark is Superman. Superman is Clark.

She loves them both whenever they are being their “true” selves. She loves the real man.
    I know that. You know that. The guy not being a total dick knows that.

To Lois they’re two different ppl.

Unless, you know, she’s always known they were one in the same her being an ace investigative journalist and him wearing a pair of glasses as a disguise. But that’s a whole other thread.

——————————

Thanks to everyone who responded, I enjoyed reading all these posts!

Retired

Well, who is more attractive--Cary Grant in THE PHILADELPHIA STORY or Cary Grant in BRINGING UP BABY?

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

She fell in love with whomever is the real guy.In the original take it was superman
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    That makes sort of sense for Silver Age, Lois & Clark and the original Superman movies, because Lois actually has conversations with Superman and stuff.

But otherwise, Lois loving Superman is like me loving, I don't know, any Soccer Player. Or a politician. Or model. You can certainly appreciate what they do and admire them, but you can't love someone you don't actually know.
    Except that soccer player also flirts with her all the time, looks at her with bedroom eyes, takes her flying, etc. Typically the only time he gets distant is when she starts officially dating Clark because there's no way for Clark to not appear a gaslighting monster if he's tempting her to cheat on him with himself.

Except that soccer player also flirts with her all the time, looks at her with bedroom eyes, takes her flying, etc. Typically the only time he gets distant is when she starts officially dating Clark because there's no way for Clark to not appear a gaslighting monster if he's tempting her to cheat on him with himself.
    I specifically said "aside from Silver Age, the original Superman films, and the Lois&Clark tv show."

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Yes. The correct answer is "yes."

To be slightly less of a dick, it's incredibly reductive to need to consider them different people than parts of the same man she fell in love with. Post-Crisis posits she loves Clark, but they only marry once he fully lets her in to both sides of his life. She loves them both.
    Yup.

Superman is Clark and Clark is Superman.

Lois sees the true person, regardless of whether she knows they're the same guy or not.
    Last edited by Bored at 3:00AM; 02-17-2021 at 09:14 PM.

Astonishing Member

Yeah, that was the point I was making. Back in the Silver Age, you had all those imaginary stories (and even a few 'real' ones) which depicted Superman and Lois getting married as something possible. Modern interpretations have leaned more towards presenting a future with Superman as the unattainable ideal that it is.

In the context of the Donner movies, Lois's love for Superman becomes interesting when you consider Superman II. Superman surrenders his powers to be with Lois and is plain ol' Clark Kent again. Lois definitely still cares about him because she knows who he really is now, but you kinda have to wonder how that relationship would have played out had he remained powerless.

To be frank, the traditional dynamic of their relationship leaned towards Lois loving, or at least being strongly attracted to, Superman, while either ignoring or even being contemptuous (as in the earliest stories) of Clark. But then again, those stories never really intended to progress the status quo or take the relationship forward in any meaningful way. Lois loving Superman works in an episodic structure, but not when serial storytelling gets involved and you want the characters to move ahead.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

I specifically said "aside from Silver Age, the original Superman films, and the Lois&Clark tv show."
    Well between the two of us, one of us can read and clearly it's not me today. My bad! This is what I get for working on projects instead of procrastinating.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Well, who is more attractive--Cary Grant in THE PHILADELPHIA STORY or Cary Grant in BRINGING UP BABY?
    Hmph, no one took my bait.

To me Cary Grant as David Huxley in BRINGING UP BABY is more attractive than Cary as C. K. in THE PHILADELPHIA STORY.

Of course, they are both Cary Grant--and Cary can't help but be attractive whether he's wearing glasses or a dress. But David for all his bumbling and his weakness is the more attractive type. C.K. is too confident and forceful. No wonder Tracy Lord (Katherine Hepburn) turns to reporter Macaulay Connor (Jimmy Stewart) who wears all his inadequacies on his sleeve. Sure Tracy goes back to her True Love, C.K., but not before being tempted by the nebbish Macaulay. And four-eyes Huxley is pursued by Susan Vance (Hepburn), because he's so charmingly neurotic and defenseless to her attack.

Christopher Reeve based his Clark Kent on Cary Grant's David Huxley. And I can perfectly understand why Lois Lane would eventually come around to loving that guy. He's not a brick, he's a pillow. People are loveable for all their inadequacies. The old school Clark Kent is someone your heart goes out to. He's no Superman, but he has a sympathetic personality.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    Was reading through the “How much does Diana love Steve?“ thread in the WW Forum (it’s pretty good!) and I got to thinking about Lois, and wanted to ask.
    It doesn't really matter.

"Once a creep. Always a creep."

This line of questioning is inherently sexist.