Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I remember Reptil being voiced by Antony Del Rio/Kid Icarus.
    Same voice actor for Blue Beetle in Injustice 2
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

https://www.gamesradar.com/the-mexic...-biggest-hero/

Interview with the writer of the miniseries.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post

Link doesn't work.....

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post

Quote Originally Posted by James Hunter View Post
    Link doesn't work.....
    Likewise for me.

EDIT: Seems the entire website is down, and has been for over a day now. How did you get the link in the first place, mr. kenway?
    Last edited by J. D. Guy; 05-13-2021 at 05:31 AM.

It's not been down for over a day. I know it was online 16 hours ago (10pm last night UK time)

As for where he got the link, it was posted on Twitter 15 hours ago.
    https://twitter.com/Newsarama/status...03009897668624
    Last edited by Digifiend; 05-13-2021 at 06:39 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    It's not been down for over a day. I know it was online 16 hours ago (10pm last night UK time)
    Maybe not. Though is it still down now?

Unfortunately, yes. This is why they should've kept Newsarama separate!

"Gremlin in the system" - posted 1¾ hours ago.
    https://twitter.com/GamesRadar/statu...13801947508736
    Last edited by Digifiend; 05-13-2021 at 06:50 AM.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    Likewise for me.

EDIT: Seems the entire website is down, and has been for over a day now. How did you get the link in the first place, mr. kenway?
    It was fine when I visited it. So it went down after I read it. Sorry guys, we'd just have to wait till they sort the problem out.

Edit- it should work now.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 05-13-2021 at 12:52 PM.

Found out about this guy through someone I follow on Twitter. From what I see, his powers are similar to Beast Boy’s, except it’s limited to prehistoric animals. Which is cool, there are a lot of dangerous animals that roamed the earth back then and not just dinosaurs. New heroes are always welcome so I’ll give this guy a chance.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by BlackClaw View Post
    Found out about this guy through someone I follow on Twitter. From what I see, his powers are similar to Beast Boy’s, except it’s limited to prehistoric animals. Which is cool, there are a lot of dangerous animals that roamed the earth back then and not just dinosaurs. New heroes are always welcome so I’ll give this guy a chance.
    Just for the record, Humberto Lopez isn't actually new.

He was created for The Superhero Squad Show back in 2009. And due to how comics turnaround generally is much faster than most (non-South Park) animation turnarounds, Reptil actually appeared 6 months earlier in a one-shot spin-off tie-in to the Avengers Initiative comics called Avengers: The Initiative Featuring Reptil.

So yeah. Humberto's been around for over 12 years now. Longer than the likes of most anyone in the Champions right now. Kid just hasn't gotten his due, what with getting killed off in Avengers Arena 4 to 5 years into his existence before getting stealthily resurrected 5 to 6 years later and then having to wait another 3 years to properly resurface and finally get his first mini (which is being made as four issues instead of the usual six...).

Reptil's not new; he's just been stuck in limbo for most of his existence. :/

Just for the record, Humberto Lopez isn't actually new.

He was created for The Superhero Squad Show back in 2009. And due to how comics turnaround generally is much faster than most (non-South Park) animation turnarounds, Reptil actually appeared 6 months earlier in a one-shot spin-off tie-in to the Avengers Initiative comics called Avengers: The Initiative Featuring Reptil.

So yeah. Humberto's been around for over 12 years now. Longer than the likes of most anyone in the Champions right now. Kid just hasn't gotten his due, what with getting killed off in Avengers Arena 4 to 5 years into his existence before getting stealthily resurrected 5 to 6 years later and then having to wait another 3 years to properly resurface and finally get his first mini (which is being made as four issues instead of the usual six...).

Reptil's not new; he's just been stuck in limbo for most of his existence. :/
    Oh I see. Still it’s nice that Marvel thinks he has enough potential to justify his own comic.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

So yeah. Humberto's been around for over 12 years now. Longer than the likes of most anyone in the Champions right now.
    Yeah, the only Champions who've been around longer than Reptil are Amadeus Cho, who first appeared in 2005, and, obviously, Cyclops. Neither are on their current roster (the book now only stars Ms. Marvel, Spider-Man, Nova, Viv Vision, Ironheart, and Snowguard).

Astonishing Member

Quote the interview, 'cause I think it's pretty insightful.

----

Newsarama: Terry, this is your first Marvel project. What made you want to work for the company?

Terry Blas: Writing for Marvel was a goal that I had hoped to one day achieve but I didn't think it would come when it did. I've always wanted to work with Marvel because Marvel comics were the first ones I ever sought out and read as a kid. I imprinted so strongly on so many Marvel characters and I feel that they are relatable and believable, like Stan Lee said, "the world outside your window."

Nrama: And why Reptil in particular?

Blas: Honestly, I hadn't heard of him before this. And when I was approached with the possibility of writing him I read everything I could that he had been in. What I was left with was the thought: 'How is this character not the most popular character ever? He's a kid who can turn into dinosaurs!'

I also felt that if I hadn't heard of him, I had a great opportunity to help people be more aware of a Mexican-American hero. That visibility and representation is important and it's part of the story too.

Nrama: All the young heroes of the Marvel universe have been affected by the Kamala Law,which bans teenage vigilantes. How has Humberto's life in particular been affected by the events of 'Outlawed'?

Blas: There are a few ways.

I don't want to give them all away but when the book starts it helps him feel like now is the time to help his grandfather, who is getting older, move in with his Aunt and her kids. He figures, if he's not supposed to or allowed to use his powers then it might be time to step back and just focus on family. Obviously, it doesn't exactly go like he plans.

Nrama: Now as a solo hero, what are some stories you were able to explore that maybe a team book wouldn't have the panel time to discover?

Blas: I feel like hopefully what we are able to achieve is a story about what it means to be a hero to a community that needs to see one. What it takes to be strong and in control. Focusing on Humberto allows us to get to connect with his character more deeply which I think strengthens a reader's interest in any team he may be part of in the future.

Nrama: Who are some of Humberto's supporting cast members?

Blas: We definitely get to meet Humberto's extended family.

There's Vicente (or Papa Vic, Humberto's grandfather. And Beto's aunt, Gloria (or Tia Glo).

(We love nicknames in the Latinx community.)

Gloria is a doctor and the sister of Beto's mom. Also, the characters I'm most excited about are the twins, Julian and Eva, Beto's cousins who are excited he's come to stay with them. I don't want to say too much but there will also be something in there for longtime fans of Jack Kirby.

Nrama: Humberto has a pretty unique power set. How did you want to utilize his abilities here?

Blas: I definitely wanted to 'do all the hits,' if you will. T-Rex, stegosaurus, triceratops. But I also wanted to explore how turning into different dinosaurs could be used for different purposes. It's one thing to fight hard, but when Humberto combines that with fighting smart, I think he's pretty unstoppable. Also, there's the idea that when he turns full dinosaur he loses control and the dinosaur mind takes over. That might be explored as well.

Nrama: For Avengers Academy fans, are there any nods to that run or the team in general?

Blas: A few. We do see some in the preview that's been released, and some of what has happened to Beto during Avengers Academy might come into play a tiny bit, but it's not entirely the focus.

Nrama: Are there any threads from his previous appearances you wanted to pick up on?

Blas: Now if I told you that you wouldn't need to read the book as much, would you? But yes. I won't tell you what.

Nrama: Fair enough, what have you learned about the character throughout writing his solo book?

Blas: I think what I've learned about Beto throughout writing Reptil is that we shouldn't forget he's still a kid.

Sometimes I think we as a reader, or even him as a character, forget that he's just 16. He's still not always mature. He still doesn't always know the best thing to do. He still likes things other 16-year-old boys like.

I've also learned that I think he's hiding a lot of pain. He's had traumatic experiences at such a young age and that's affected him in ways we haven't always seen.

Nrama: Marvel has billed Reptil as their "next big hero", how do you feel like he grows into this role?

Blas: Again, I want to be careful about what I say because I think that's sort of this whole story. It's already been said that with Kamala's Law in place, he thinks now might be a good time to leave heroing behind. But he has to learn that, in order to be a hero, you just have to be yourself and be visible. If you're a hero, who are you a hero for?

Nrama: This is a limited series, but are there any plans for more Reptil stories following this? Would you like to write more Reptil?

Blas: I'm not super aware of more Reptil stories being planned, but I can assume Marvel wouldn't want to let this character just fall into obscurity, especially when the Latinx/Latine community is the largest ethnic minority group in the United States, but we have the least amount of representation in books, movies, and television.

Before COVID-19, our community spent the most money on movie ticket sales every weekend, nearly 25%, so that's an entire quarter of the population who will likely support stories like Reptil if they are made aware that they exist.

But the answer is yes. Yes, I'd definitely write more Reptil. I love him.

Nrama: Are there any other Marvel heroes you're dying to write?

Blas: I believe in stating what you want, putting it out there into the universe, and working to make it happen. So, in the spirit of that: I love the X-Men and anything related to them. I was a big fan of Generation X as well. I'd write any of that.

I love Champions. I think it's my favorite title right now.

America Chavez's new book by Kalinda Vazquez and Carlos Gomez is already incredible and giving me everything I want from a story about her. I'd love to write her one day.

And lastly, I was so blown away by Children of the Atom by Vita Ayala and Bernard Chang. I already love those kids and the book was so terrific and surprisingly heart-wrenching. I can only hope to write something that good one day.

Nrama: For fans of your previous work, what do you think they'll enjoy about Reptil?

Blas: I would hope that fans of my previous work like Dead Weight or Hotel Dare, would expect to find teens, queer characters, cool young women who don't take anyone's crap, witty dialogue, magic, and Mexicans. And you know, Reptil has all of that. I expect that hopefully, they and new readers alike won't be disappointed.
    ----

A couple things I caught onto.

For starters, I wonder how sincere is this intent that Reptil become the "next biggest hero" at Marvel? On the one hand, one shouldn't be able to go wrong with someone like Reptil as a superhero concept. Like, a concept like that outta be able to right and carry itself. On the other hand, Reptil was ultimately still squandered, languishing in limbo for of his existence. And with this only being 4 issues and with apparently no follow-up stories featuring the character, I sincerely cannot fathom how Marvel intends to make good on such a boast in a meaningful way. Unless that was just empty hype, which feels kind of condescending given who Reptil is and what he does and could represent.

Also, I wonder if the writer, Terry Blas, is aware of Falcon/Joaquin Torres's and Nova/Sam Alexander's existences? That he was completely ignorant of who Humberto is feels both understandable and strange to me. I dunno. It feels like he was treating Humberto like he's the first Latino Superhero or even the only Mexican-American one. I wonder how up-to-date he is on the last 10 years of Marvel outside of the X-verse?

Shame that this will only be 4 issues. There's only so much that can be down in such a short page count. I'd have loved to have Reptil formally meet and team up with Falcon, for example.

I doubt Marvel will push him unless they put him on a team, Reptril came at a time where Marvel was experimenting with new heroes, basically the youth push dating back to Gravity and Runaways...then Miles Morales happened and later on Kamala Khan, Legacy Heroes became the norm and Reptil got lost, didn't help the book he was in was Avengers Arena and his last moment on the book put him on ice as Kamala Khan, Robbie Reyes and Sam stole the spotlight and pushed basically the chunk of the Avengers Academy cast aside. Granted they are slowly bringing back that push, even rezzing Power Pack and Squirrel Girl but I have to as assume Bilas first book is something small scale, gotta work small to go big.

Ultimate Member

Also, I wonder if the writer, Terry Blas, is aware of Falcon/Joaquin Torres's and Nova/Sam Alexander's existences? That he was completely ignorant of who Humberto is feels both understandable and strange to me. I dunno. It feels like he was treating Humberto like he's the first Latino Superhero or even the only Mexican-American one. I wonder how up-to-date he is on the last 10 years of Marvel outside of the X-verse?
    I did not know Sam Alexander existed until 2016. Part of that is due to comic book stores NOT selling his first run as Nova.

Torres came at a time if it was not straight white male at Marvel folks were trying to get it axed, folks fired and being as toxic as they can be. So he was going to get overshadowed by that.

We have to remember not all these books are sold everywhere and some don't get coverage.

Marvel wanting to invest in Reptil-well look at him from a merchandise stand point.

We can start with toys alone-you can't go wrong with dinos.

Marvel probably sees how well Beast Boy's book sold-it was among the highest pro-orders on Amazon and stays in the 100-pending what new movie or show comes out.