Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    From what I remember of their relationship it felt pretty far from being by-the-numbers just because of how emotionally complex and difficult Finesse was.

I thought he and Spider-Girl were cute though...
    Like I said, I dunno. It just felt by-the-numbers for Reptil.

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    Would it be strange for me to say that I'd be perfectly fine with Reptil and Finesse are never referenced with each other as a couple (ex or otherwise) again?

I liked Finesse well enough in general. I especially enjoyed her character arc. But I didn't really care that much for the whole romance and implied future parents of each other's child thing Avengers Academy were doing. I dunno. Part of me feels that it felt like they were trying to push a teen-romance angle with Humberto there that he didn't necessarily need to go through (especially a "by-the-numbers" straight teen-romance angle, what with Mettle and Hazmat already covering that angle superbly and with Striker not getting anything romance-wise beyond him coming out as gay in the first place).
    Nah bro. Different strokes for different blokes. It's all good.

I'm trying to think back to the Avengers Academy days and their moments was just what stuck out to me. Outside of Ava and Victor saying they were fond of the white Tiger because he was the first latino superhero and Reptil getting mad because his favorite hero was Cap. It was more a comedic beat.

He had a bond with Tigra but i don't see it needing to comeback. How many of us still keep in touch with our high school teachers? (Rhetorical)

In fact I wanna see what he thinks off the recent upsets in Cap's life. Did he even have a role during Secret Empire? There's untapped story potential there althought i see them not dealing with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    She does, in a flashback to Avengers Academy. Can't see her getting more than that though, last we saw, she was working with Nadia Van Dyne. Which would mean she should be in New York. This story isn't set in the Big Apple.
    You mean in the 2018 Avengers Intitiative Special? She could always visit or call him.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Nah bro. Different strokes for different blokes. It's all good.

I'm trying to think back to the Avengers Academy days and their moments was just what stuck out to me. Outside of Ava and Victor saying they were fond of the white Tiger because he was the first latino superhero and Reptil getting mad because his favorite hero was Cap. It was more a comedic beat.

He had a bond with Tigra but i don't see it needing to comeback. How many of us still keep in touch with our high school teachers? (Rhetorical)

In fact I wanna see what he thinks off the recent upsets in Cap's life. Did he even have a role during Secret Empire? There's untapped story potential there althought i see them not dealing with it.

You mean in the 2018 Avengers Intitiative Special? She could always visit or call him.
    I'd actually love to know what his take on Steve/Cap's current and recent activities are. Not sure when he was meant to be "revived" or whatever way they want to put it, but I would be nice to know what he was doing.

There's this habit where writer treat characters in limbo as if they drop everything pertaining to their costumed lives. It can be tiring and occasionally insulting, depending on the situation. Still, I hope Blas finds room in these 4 issues to cover some of it, and not just recap the written stuff.

Ultimate Member

I'm hoping Finesse pops up even if they are exes.
    I definitely don't want to see their romance touched again, or their foreshadowed shapeshifting child together (I mean gosh, they just showed up, it's *way* too soon for the raising-a-kid-of-their-own crap!), but I wouldn't mind seeing her again, in a less than clear role (is she a good guy or a bad guy? I'd like for that not to be easily answered, for her to exist in a more gray area.).

That said, if I do see Finesse again, I want her to be a polymath, picking up new skills, languages, etc. (like she started out) not a 'Taskmaster Jr' with photographic reflexes (like she became). One's original and interesting. The others a boring knock-off. I want the original Finesse back!

It felt like, a year or so into Avengers Academy, Humberto (who went from 'dinosaur parts' to turning into prehistoric bugs and mammals as well), Striker (who went from throwing lightning to flying and making force fields) and Finesse (who went from polymath to photographic reflexes) all changed powers, and I didn't like that. Humberto, for instance, was very cool as 'dino-Lad,' and I had zero interest in seeing him grow woolly mammoth parts or turning into a big bug.

From what I remember of their relationship it felt pretty far from being by-the-numbers just because of how emotionally complex and difficult Finesse was.

There's a interview the writer did for a small youtuber where he also mentions that he digs Anya/Humberto.

It was a interesting interview. He said that he originally was planning to do a pitch for a Hummingbird series, when he got a call from Marvel getting asked if he wanted to do a Reptil series. He had no idea who Reptil was, but said yes anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    I'd actually love to know what his take on Steve/Cap's current and recent activities are. Not sure when he was meant to be "revived" or whatever way they want to put it, but I would be nice to know what he was doing.

There's this habit where writer treat characters in limbo as if they drop everything pertaining to their costumed lives. It can be tiring and occasionally insulting, depending on the situation. Still, I hope Blas finds room in these 4 issues to cover some of it, and not just recap the written stuff.
    It's a consequence of Marvel and DC work. It's not a lot of space within a back-up or a oneshot to cover a lot of what's happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    I definitely don't want to see their romance touched again, or their foreshadowed shapeshifting child together (I mean gosh, they just showed up, it's *way* too soon for the raising-a-kid-of-their-own crap!), but I wouldn't mind seeing her again, in a less than clear role (is she a good guy or a bad guy? I'd like for that not to be easily answered, for her to exist in a more gray area.).

That said, if I do see Finesse again, I want her to be a polymath, picking up new skills, languages, etc. (like she started out) not a 'Taskmaster Jr' with photographic reflexes (like she became). One's original and interesting. The others a boring knock-off. I want the original Finesse back!

It felt like, a year or so into Avengers Academy, Humberto (who went from 'dinosaur parts' to turning into prehistoric bugs and mammals as well), Striker (who went from throwing lightning to flying and making force fields) and Finesse (who went from polymath to photographic reflexes) all changed powers, and I didn't like that. Humberto, for instance, was very cool as 'dino-Lad,' and I had zero interest in seeing him grow woolly mammoth parts or turning into a big bug.
    Her becoming his Catwoman is corny but easier to pitch.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    I actually liked Striker's additions. It felt like organic evolution of his powerset rather than a change.

I can see why Reptil's and Finesse's changes/additions could feel jarring, though. (Even if I'm lowkey okay with the lore expansion they gave to Humberto's gem, although not so much so I couldn't honestly take it or leave one way or the other. Unlike with Striker where his evolution adds to his overall image and brand capabilities, Reptil's additions, while still technically cool, largely run the risk of brand dilution more than anything else, especially since straight-up dinosaur-lad is extremely cool and surprisingly underutilized as a powerset on its own.)

What special? Finesse last showed up in Unstoppable Wasp in 2019 - she joined GIRL at the end of the series, having been working with AIM.
    https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Unsto..._Wasp_Vol_2_10
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    What special? Finesse last showed up in Unstoppable Wasp in 2019 - she joined GIRL at the end of the series, having been working with AIM.
    https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Unsto..._Wasp_Vol_2_10
    https://www.comixology.com/Avengers-...N1bHRzU2xpZGVy

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

That book is from 2009.
    "Cable was right!"

True tru I prefer him with Spider Girl

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Chan View Post
    There's a interview the writer did for a small youtuber where he also mentions that he digs Anya/Humberto.

It was a interesting interview. He said that he originally was planning to do a pitch for a Hummingbird series, when he got a call from Marvel getting asked if he wanted to do a Reptil series. He had no idea who Reptil was, but said yes anyway.
    He originally wanted to do Hummingbird? That would’ve been interesting, Aztec mythology really doesn’t get as much shine as Greek or Norse mythology. Especially since it’s implied she could be the reincarnation of an Aztec god.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

Astonishing Member

Astonishing Member