Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I thought this was such a lame character he was killed off never to be seen from again.

No one ever stays dead and when they come back...they get a mini-series. Will he be a better character now?
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Extraordinary Member

He never died.

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    Again not true.

Oh and remember this thread?
    THREAD: ARE ALL OF MARVEL’S LATINO CHARACTERS BLACK?
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...aracters-Black

Here is a list for example.
    LATINO & HISPANIC Marvel Characters Appreciation
    http://community.comicbookresources....s-Appreciation
    Is there a way to get the LATINO & HISPANIC Marvel Characters Appreciation thread unlocked and going again? The DC equivalent is still alive and kicking.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Azrael11 View Post
    Is there a way to get the LATINO & HISPANIC Marvel Characters Appreciation thread unlocked and going again? The DC equivalent is still alive and kicking.
    Start a new one.
    "Cable was right!"

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

May is here are the Reptil fans ready?
    Bumping this cause I want to read input on if this is at least a decent mini or waste of time.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Astonishing Member

Glad to see Reptil is back and finally getting his due. Kid got dunked on when he was being set up for great things as a budding leader.

While Dennis Hopeless killed Reptil off, even if he did it in such a deliberately vague way so that it would be easy for any future writer to come along a retcon him being alive (while, as I recall, still mentioning that Reptil was dead as far as Hopeless was concerned), I will forever be happy than Brian Michael Bendis stealth-revived Reptil at the end of his Iron Man/Riri Williams run, one of the last things he did at Marvel.

And visually, I'm glad his current looks embraces the patterned green suit across his whole body. "Civvie Spandex" is okay, but I'm almost always in favor of embracing the conventions of Superheros. And I like how it references his future look in Avengers Academy, where he switches from regular civvie pants to a full-on unstable molecule bodysuit. Also, going sleeve-less is a nice touch.

Finally, to echo what someone else here has said, now we just need a Black, Jewish, and ideally Polynesian/Hawaiian decent writer to bring back Mettle and give him his due. His long overdue due. And maybe stop killing and disrespecting minority heroes, especially those with very underrepresented intersectionalities, while we're at it. (Like, I get folks were caught up and enraptured by the specticle of Dennis Hopeless's Avengers Arena, but killing off Mettle, Reptil, and Juston Seyfert after having put him in wheelchair, was just all kinds of tacky. Felt like that should have raised more of an ongoing notice then it did.)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    May is here are the Reptil fans ready?
    Bumping this cause I want to read input on if this is at least a decent mini or waste of time.
    For one thing, it's not out yet. There's still about 3 more weeks.

And for another, the tone is getting rather frustrating.

Reptil was created in the first place as TV synergy - he was the only character in Marvel Super Hero Squad not already established in the comics. They probably offed him when that synergy was no longer required because the cartoon had ended. But he'd gained fans in Avengers Academy. That book's cast were just tossed aside in the end (Hazmat lasted longest, being used until Avengers Undercover ended and then recently brought back in Captain Marvel). It's time for that to change. Quite a few teen books have ended lately (outside the X franchise, only Miles Morales and Champions remain now at Marvel), so there's room for more.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Reptil was created in the first place as TV synergy - he was the only character in Marvel Super Hero Squad not already established in the comics. They probably offed him when that synergy was no longer required because the cartoon had ended. But he'd gained fans in Avengers Academy. That book's cast were just tossed aside in the end (Hazmat lasted longest, being used until Avengers Undercover ended and then recently brought back in Captain Marvel). It's time for that to change. Quite a few teen books have ended lately (outside the X franchise, only Miles Morales and Champions remain now at Marvel), so there's room for more.
    A bit of a tangent, but speaking of TV, during the Disney XD Avengers Assemble era (man, I miss that era), I enjoyed Reptil in the out-of-continuity movie special, Marvel Super Hero Adventures: Frost Fight.

Anyway, I agree that Marvel has a lot of mismanaged teen heroes they need to do right by. They can start by giving Sam his ongoing back, and then go forward from there.

I thought they were talking about Reptyl

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    Finally, to echo what someone else here has said, now we just need a Black, Jewish, and ideally Polynesian/Hawaiian decent writer to bring back Mettle and give him his due. His long overdue due. And maybe stop killing and disrespecting minority heroes, especially those with very underrepresented intersectionalities, while we're at it. (Like, I get folks were caught up and enraptured by the specticle of Dennis Hopeless's Avengers Arena, but killing off Mettle, Reptil, and Juston Seyfert after having put him in wheelchair, was just all kinds of tacky. Felt like that should have raised more of an ongoing notice then it did.)
    I feel like the reaction was the exact opposite at the time. No one was into the spectacle and everyone thought the series was a dumb idea, but then Hopeless' writing & story drew folks in and his relative restraint in killing off characters for no reason was surprising. Mettle & Justin were really the two exceptions (not adding Reptil because Hopeless took him off his own board in a way that was clearly not taking him off the board for other writers).

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    I had no idea he had been in a cartoon, myself.

I guess he's got some demographic cred, at least. There's not exactly a deep bench there. Living Lightning? White Tiger? Anya Corazon? Hummingbird? Rictor? Not exactly a lot of 'Black Panther' or even 'Shang Chi' level characters to choose from.
    Yeah that’s a sad list of characters! Guess they don’t have a Jaime Reyes or Jessica Cruz amongst their ranks. Maybe Robbie Reyes?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    He does kinda seem like a character custom-designed for an action figure, with all sorts of snap-on and snap-off dino limbs and heads. Maybe a pair of heads (one triceratops, one raptor-ish), a pair of raptor legs, two sets of arms (clawed forelimbs and a pair of pterodactyl wings), and a snap on tail. Boom, tons of customization options.

I remember Reptil being voiced by Antony Del Rio/Kid Icarus.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by LifeIsILL View Post
    I thought they were talking about Reptyl

Not gonna lie, that is an obscure character.

Quote Originally Posted by Krakoa View Post
    I feel like the reaction was the exact opposite at the time. No one was into the spectacle and everyone thought the series was a dumb idea, but then Hopeless' writing & story drew folks in and his relative restraint in killing off characters for no reason was surprising. Mettle & Justin were really the two exceptions (not adding Reptil because Hopeless took him off his own board in a way that was clearly not taking him off the board for other writers).
    But at the end of the day, he did kill off those three. And Reptil does count, because while he wrote it such that it could hypothetically be interpreted as ambiguous in case a future writer potentially could have wanted to use Reptil again, in practice, function, and reality as far as Dennis Hopeless intended and was concerned with the story, Humberto Lopez was dead. Because Hopeless killed him.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Samm View Post
    Yeah that’s a sad list of characters! Guess they don’t have a Jaime Reyes or Jessica Cruz amongst their ranks. Maybe Robbie Reyes?
    Sam Alexander and/or Robbie Reyes, definitely.

And Miles Morales, of course.