Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    The thing holding back your favorite character and their toaster is definitely a mini-series about a niche character from an underserved demographic.
    I don't think a character aimed at kids has the same target demographic as this mostly adult forum's favorite characters.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Oh thank God. They did him dirty with Avengers Arena. I hope there's a trade tho.

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    Not to make fun of the series, because it might be good, but at this point I think they're just announcing series to troll Vision and Scarlet Witch fans. Everybody gets to be in a comic except the stars of the most popular TV show in the world, because why not?
    Why are you complaining about Scarlet Witch and Vision books in a thread for another character?

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yup, Miles is Afro-Latino.
    I was thinking about Miguel
    Last edited by Triniking1234; 02-19-2021 at 08:59 AM.
    "Cable was right!"

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Why are you complaining about Scarlet Witch and Vision books in a thread for another character?
    You're absolutely right, I just was frustrated and complained in a place where it didn't belong.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Milici View Post
    Wich demographic? People from Nevada?
    As has been said repeatedly, HISPANIC. Being Hispanic isn't limited by country or continent. I'm sorry you don't feel represented unless the character is from your country / continent, but Marvel has always been an American, mostly New York City universe. There's plenty of places that aren't represented in Marvel. Actually, now that I think about it, there may be more South and Central American superheroes at Marvel than there are from Nevada.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

I saw that "toaster" comment. Rude.

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    As has been said repeatedly, HISPANIC. Being Hispanic isn't limited by country or continent. I'm sorry you don't feel represented unless the character is from your country / continent, but Marvel has always been an American, mostly New York City universe. There's plenty of places that aren't represented in Marvel. Actually, now that I think about it, there may be more South and Central American superheroes at Marvel than there are from Nevada.
    You're taking that guy too seriously.
    "Cable was right!"

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Not always true.

There are quite a few times that Marvel or DC limit the number of books they'll print and the number of writers on staff. If they're only publishing 30 books a month... then yeah, I can see some competition to see who gets those slots.
    Correction you are at the mercy of whatever EDITOR is working at Marvel.

You toss an editor over a set of books and they don't LIKE certain characters-you are out of luck.

Green Lantern Mosaic and Black Lightning books of the 90s say HI.

Also some books are not pitched but rather tossed on a writer. Gwenpool by Leah Williams say HI. She was not pitching a Gwenpool book. She was pitching for certain characters and Prodigy was one of them.

Reptil is not the issue. That is an EDITOR issue.

What is Scarlet Witch and Vision's excuse?
    What is Storm's excuse? Or was it called under a different name? Black Panther? Because that writer was BEGGING to do one.
    What is Moncia's excuse? Jimmy Woo? Quake?

Because Reptil's book is going to PAY for them not having books. Because that store owner will have issue with it. Along with the usual suspects.

Now let me shut up and pre-order the variant to Repitl's book.

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post

I am personally more frustrated at bigger characters taking up space that they don't need. We didn't need a second ongoing for Peter Parker in the form of Non-Stop Spider-Man. We didn't need a Wolverine solo when the same writer was already writing him on X-Force. We didn't need the Avengers line to be reduced to an ''all-star'' kind of team that uses mostly characters who already have their own solos. Those are slots that could've been given to other characters that didn't have any book.
    Comic fans need to get out of this thinking imo. This a business which means a book that can perform well is never a bad thing. Just look at it this way some friends and you are going to dinner where everybody splits food and the bill but only 5 slots are available. The 5th is a choice between a guy with 10,000 dollars or a guy with 10 dollars. Who do you want? Obviously the guy with more money.

Stuff that got canceled before and gets second and third shots are the things people should be picking on. Those "slots" could be given to characters that don't have a book then they all can be cancel together because the entire line isn't doing well and they need to find stuff that sells. Give me 2 Spiderman books, 2 Avengers, 2 Wolverine books, 2 X-men books, 2 Deadpool books, and 20 random books because those 10 books will sell better than those 20 books and you can have a longer leash with some of those 20 books because other books are picking up the slack.

In these topics, People always go that guy who has 10,000 dollars we don't want him, He is a bad thing. Let's have a bunch of broke people instead because that is a much better idea. The big names are NEVER the problem they play an important role in financially carrying the line their success often makes it possible to have more books and be braver with the small concepts. We don't need Spider Woman, We don't need Cable , We don't need Defenders, We do need another Spiderman book, Wolverine and Avengers to be big names and big sellers.

I am all for new stuff but you can't tell me Wolverine is the problem when Punisher got relaunch basically every year. Wolverine sales help the line, I understand they are "different" explain to me how Iron Fist, Dr Strange, Punisher, Power Pack, US Agent, Taskmaster,etc are helping? Especially when they are concepts that haven't been used in solo sitting around. How is rehashing mid-level concepts that fail not the bigger issue than successful characters with multiple books who overall sales help the overall line.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 02-19-2021 at 03:34 PM.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Comic fans need to get out of this thinking imo. This a business which means a book that can perform well is never a bad thing. Just look at it this way some friends and you are going to dinner where everybody splits food and the bill but only 5 slots are available. The 5th is a choice between a guy with 10,000 dollars or a guy with 10 dollars. Who do you want? Obviously the guy with more money.

Stuff that got canceled before and gets second and third shots are the things people should be picking on. Those "slots" could be given to characters that don't have a book then they all can be cancel together because the entire line isn't doing well and they need to find stuff that sells. Give me 2 Spiderman books, 2 Avengers, 2 Wolverine books, 2 X-men books, 2 Deadpool books, and 20 random books because those 10 books will sell better than those 20 books and you can have a longer leash with some of those 20 books because other books are picking up the slack.

In these topics, People always go that guy who has 10,000 dollars we don't want him, He is a bad thing. Let's have a bunch of broke people instead because that is a much better idea. The big names are NEVER the problem they play an important role in financially carrying the line their success often makes it possible to have more books and be braver with the small concepts. We don't need Spider Woman, We don't need Cable , We don't need Defenders, We do need another Spiderman book, Wolverine and Avengers to be big names and big sellers.

I am all for new stuff but you can't tell me Wolverine is the problem when Punisher got relaunch basically every year. Wolverine sales help the line, I understand they are "different" explain to me how Iron Fist, Dr Strange, Punisher, Power Pack, US Agent, Taskmaster,etc are helping? Especially when they are concepts that haven't been used in solo sitting around. How is rehashing mid-level concepts that fail not the bigger issue than successful characters with multiple books who overall sales help the overall line.
    Did I say it was a bad business decision? No. I said I am frustrated because, as a fan, I am. My job is only to read books, not be their accountant. Understanding a business decision doesn't mean I have to like it.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    I am just asking, what makes him "hispanic" The color of his skin? His name? You know that people of Latin Americ comes in many colores and with many names, his family could be from Spain for all we know.

What ar all those South American characters? Only Windancer and Sunspot comes to mind, Magma is from a fictional country.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yup, Miles is Afro-Latino.
    Miles doesn't count. He is half Latino and has never been written as having Latino culture. I doubt there are any Hispanics that can identify with him.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    Miles doesn't count. He is half Latino and has never been written as having Latino culture. I doubt there are any Hispanics that can identify with him.
    At least with Miles we know that he has roots from Puerto Rico, even tho he was born and raised in Brooklyn. Reptile just "looks hispanic" and has an "hispanic" name .

Astonishing Member

At least with Miles we know that he has roots from Puerto Rico, even tho he was born and raised in Brooklyn. Reptile just "looks hispanic" and has an "hispanic" name .
    Yea I know. That's why I say Marvel doesn't have that many Hispanic characters. We didn't see Rictor's Mexican heritage for decades, and when we did, they gave him a drug cartel type of family background. Living Lightning was given a stereotypical 1990s cholo background. IIRC, Firebird is one of the few Hispanic characters with a proper background.

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

I'm sure there plenty of latinos who can relate to feeling closer to one parents culture more than another. Miles' characterization is common for people with biethnic background.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Ultimate Member

I am just asking, what makes him "hispanic" The color of his skin? His name? You know that people of Latin Americ comes in many colores and with many names, his family could be from Spain for all we know.

What ar all those South American characters? Only Windancer and Sunspot comes to mind, Magma is from a fictional country.
    I'd answer, but you clearly know how to use the internet, since you're posting here, and there are lists available online of characters by ethnicity. (Wikipedia has 145 listed. Certainly not all from South America, specifically, like Silverclaw or Defensor or Toro or Inferno.)

Also, as you've clearly demonstrated in the post I've quoted, you'll just change the goalposts if I do, and say that 'so and so doesn't count because they aren't Hispanic enough.'
    Last edited by Sutekh; 02-20-2021 at 10:36 AM.

Written having Latino culture what does that mean? Afro Latino in New York what he is supposed to do wear the Puerto Rican flag on everything? I am failing to see how he isn't written having a "Latino culture". If he was to talk Spanglish all the time people would say he is forcing it, He doesn't remind people every 10 seconds that is Latino he doesn't have Latino culture.

I see the convo here with people trying to gatekeep what is Latino/Hispanic it is kinda sad. But at least it is a chance for some teaching

Hispanic refers to people who speak Spanish or who are descendants of those from Spanish-speaking countries. In other words, Hispanic refers to the language that a person speaks or that their ancestors spoke.
    In contrast, Latino refers to geography: specifically, people from Latin America including Central America, South America, and the Caribbean
    A person who is Hispanic may also be Latino, but this is not always necessarily the case. For example, a person from Spain would be Hispanic but not Latino because Spain is a Spanish-speaking country but not a Latin American country.

A person who is Latino may also be Hispanic. For instance, while people from Brazil are considered Latino (because Brazil is a Latin America country), they are not considered Hispanic because their native language is Portuguese, not Spanish.