Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Written having Latino culture what does that mean? Afro Latino in New York what he is supposed to do wear the Puerto Rican flag on everything? I am failing to see how he isn't written having a "Latino culture". If he was to talk Spanglish all the time people would say he is forcing it, He doesn't remind people every 10 seconds that is Latino he doesn't have Latino culture.

I see the convo here with people trying to gatekeep what is Latino/Hispanic it is kinda sad. But at least it is a chance for some teaching
    In Miles' case, I don't think he can be written with PR culture. I don't think I've ever met any Hispanics that are biethnic keep their Hispanic heritage. How do you write someone with Latino culture? Hector Ayala comes to mind. I can't think of any others right now there are are plenty of other characters that have been written with their culture. Not so much with Hispanics.

Incredible Member

Silverclaw is from the fictional nation of Costa Verde, Defensor last appareance was un 1995, Toro is from NY, Inferno is from Illinois.

You were The one who said that people from Nevada is less represented in Marvel than South Americans and that we should be glad that people born and raised in USA represent us.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    In Miles' case, I don't think he can be written with PR culture. I don't think I've ever met any Hispanics that are biethnic keep their Hispanic heritage. How do you write someone with Latino culture? Hector Ayala comes to mind. I can't think of any others right now there are are plenty of other characters that have been written with their culture. Not so much with Hispanics.
    Just make him say abuelita and chancla every other frase.

I'm glad to see Reptil coming back. I can't believe its been almost 8 years since we saw him last.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

Quote Originally Posted by Milici View Post
    Just make him say abuelita and chancla every other frase.
    Otherwise known as "The Colossus solution"
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

So what you are understanding about Puerto Rican culture is very much a dual culture it is American and Hispanic, It isn't one thing or the other it is very much a merging of two things together. And the even more true about NY Puerto Rican who have their own subculture as well. Trying to imply Latino Culture is one way I think is very misleading.But anyways I get to post one of the better scenes of subtle culture from into the spider verse so I am happy

Back on topic It is good a character like this is getting a chance, The sad part for me is that Reptil needs to make it to being an adult(which takes super long because they don't want age older characters) to really stick in American comic because of his archetype because that is only way he will get to be violent as needed in American books. A mature 23-24-year-old experience Reptil is an interesting character imo. The speculator market is burning up picking up his stuff so they might be some guessing that he might show in MCU project.

Last it is fun to remind people that he is partly named after the artist Humberto Ramos
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 02-20-2021 at 06:51 PM.

Extraordinary Member

That's why I say Marvel doesn't have that many Hispanic characters.
    Again not true.

Oh and remember this thread?
    THREAD: ARE ALL OF MARVEL’S LATINO CHARACTERS BLACK?
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...aracters-Black

Here is a list for example.
    LATINO & HISPANIC Marvel Characters Appreciation
    http://community.comicbookresources....s-Appreciation

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Milici View Post
    So not hispanic then, as a Latin American, born, raised, and living in Latinamerica I don't feel represented by a gringo who is fighting for Murica.
    Incorrect.
    You do know that nevada by the way was apart of the spanish empire and mexico right?

Anyway He is latino/hispanic.

Humberto Lopez (Earth-616)
    Trivia
    Reptil's family is Christian,and presumably Catholic given his Hispanic heritage.
    Reptil was born and raised in the United States of America,but has Mexican heritage.

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Humbe...ez_(Earth-616)
    Last edited by mace11; 02-21-2021 at 09:44 AM.

Is Sam Alexander also part latino or am I mixing it up

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    Again not true.

Oh and remember this thread?
    THREAD: ARE ALL OF MARVEL’S LATINO CHARACTERS BLACK?
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...aracters-Black

Here is a list for example.
    LATINO & HISPANIC Marvel Characters Appreciation
    http://community.comicbookresources....s-Appreciation
    If that's many to you then what do you consider a few?

Astonishing Member

Incorrect.
    You do know that nevada by the way was apart of the spanish empire and mexico right?

Anyway He is latino/hispanic.

Humberto Lopez (Earth-616)
    Trivia

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Humbe...ez_(Earth-616)
    Presumably Catholic because he's Hispanic. Ay Dios mio.

Extraordinary Member

If that's many to you then what do you consider a few?
    What do you consider many?

There are many.
    Marvel's Hispanic Superheroes and Supervillains
    https://comicvine.gamespot.com/profi...illains/48236/

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...eciation/page6

Anyway Keep in mind only certain amount will be written or shown at time like any other group.

Extraordinary Member

Presumably Catholic because he's Hispanic. Ay Dios mio.
    Did you not see his name and marvel says he is latino/hispanic just like marvel says the thing is jewish.

Astonishing Member

Did you not see his name and marvel says he is latino/hispanic just like marvel says the thing is jewish.
    I'm not questioning his ethnicity I'm laughing at what it says for his religion.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Toonstrack View Post
    Is Sam Alexander also part latino or am I mixing it up
    He is, from his mother.