Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Default Details: This Is Why WW Animation Looks so more accurate & stylistic than...

the movie version....

Just look at even the Lasso is held and used (if you watch the entire scene) from Wonder Woman in just 4 different DC animations?

wonder lasso.jpg
    Last edited by Titan Theo; 02-17-2021 at 03:19 PM.

Fantastic Member

vs. this:
    wonder vs superman lasso 2.jpg
    wonder vs super lasso 1.jpg

Here, even Superman looks cooler and more secure in holding the lasso than WW. Please DC, if you are even listening, hire DC animation choreographers over the movie choreographers...they are significantly better, even by Marvel standards.
    Last edited by Titan Theo; 02-17-2021 at 03:18 PM.

I personally love the idea that the lasso has tons of powers, and that the energy of it's glow helps it move in unnatural waysm guided by Diana's intention. I don't want full on mind control over the lasso tho. Leave that to the SuperFriends cartoon.

Fantastic Member

I am sort of on the fence with mind control...perhaps only when she's holding it, but I still want it to move somewhat logically...it does not look to warrior like when it's held incorrectly..almost like a contortion, amazing but not necessarily stylistic. The glow could be less I think but still glowing; perhaps more on the material...maybe more this color so with contrast: lasso color.jpg

We are comparing how she holds her lasso now?

Anyway, I was kind of annoyed that they showed Superman as definitively stronger than Wonder Woman.

I don't think traditional, hand-drawn animation (or animation that approximates hand-drawn) is nearly as susceptible to Uncanny Valley or similar negative effects. I used to wonder why Spider-man TAS didn't feel as fake as the Raimi trilogy. I mean, it's not like the cartoon Spider-man moved in a more realistic manner. My guess is that on the Uncanny Valley curve, hand-drawn animation is to the left of the local maximum.

Jay Oliva storyboarded both Man of Steel and Justice League War (well, he directed the latter...), and perhaps not coincidentally both movies feature a scene that plays out like a third-person shooter where you get an over-the-shoulder shot of Superman's flying up to a target in the air and punching it. In the animated movie, I don't have any real issues with the physics. In the live-action scene, of course it doesn't look quite right. I just think this combo is a good demonstration on how superhero action can look good in one medium, but something very similar can fall a bit shorter in another.

This is truly pedantic.

Fantastic Member

Pedantic..lol...so harsh. Micro details and macro details is what make a good stylistic action scene, cartoon or live. WW is supposed to be the "ultimate warrior" in DC. Yes, there is suspension of disbelief, but there is a reason why WW fight animation is kick ass and also why Marvel fight scenes are also generally rated as better.

And they wonder why the sword is looking more cooler nowadays...jeez.

BANNED
    Themyscira, Wundagore Mountain, Talok VIII

Quote Originally Posted by Titan Theo View Post
    vs. this:
    wonder vs superman lasso 2.jpg
    wonder vs super lasso 1.jpg

Here, even Superman looks cooler and more secure in holding the lasso than WW. Please DC, if you are even listening, hire DC animation choreographers over the movie choreographers...they are significantly better, even by Marvel standards.
    Well, that's because Snyder and Whedon were purposely making Diana bow down to the all-powerful Superman (Yuck). That movie should not be used for any argument (except the argument of how NOT to make superhero films).

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    This is truly pedantic.
    Agreed.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by FutureWonder View Post
    Well, that's because Snyder and Whedon were purposely making Diana bow down to the all-powerful Superman (Yuck). That movie should not be used for any argument (except the argument of how NOT to make superhero films).

Agreed.
    WW's use of lasso in her live movies is NOT optimized and pales in comparison to her animated version; anyone who understands choreography will know that. If everything people point out is labeled as "pedantic" then every little other thing that makes a up a greater whole can be said of the same thing, but it's the small little things that make up the big picture. It's one thing if one disagrees with stylistic differences, but totally another if one thing there ca not be any improvement, and that starts of with the small details. The movie action scenes (in both movies) is not horrible, but if one thinks there is zero room for improvement, then I will not be surprised at all if new WW fans start to prefer to shield and sword over the lasso. So much cool material exists in western lasso, dart rope, whip techniques that truly if the lasso was used to its full potential, you indeed would not need so much shield and sword, as WW lasso is durable enough to cut through things as well. Well, to each his own, I suppose.
    Last edited by Titan Theo; 02-22-2021 at 03:24 AM.

Fantastic Member

Thanks, Doocha for a fair comparison. Certainly, I'm not suggesting the odd scenarios that you mention. It's just the small details that I'm referring to. It's how it's written, the build up etc. Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, that won Best Picture for a Foreign Film, was imitated by others soon after that tried so hard to make it so artistic that it sort of became too over the top even if the physical actors were skilled. The first WW film best parts was the action scene with the Nazi's; the choreography was good (not exceptional) but the build up was very good. The second one, and of course, other may disagree, was well okay.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

WW's use of lasso in her live movies is NOT optimized and pales in comparison to her animated version; anyone who understands choreography will know that. If everything people point out is labeled as "pedantic" then every little other thing that makes a up a greater whole can be said of the same thing, but it's the small little things that make up the big picture. It's one thing if one disagrees with stylistic differences, but totally another if one thing there ca not be any improvement, and that starts of with the small details. The movie action scenes (in both movies) is not horrible, but if one thinks there is zero room for improvement, then I will not be surprised at all if new WW fans start to prefer to shield and sword over the lasso. So much cool material exists in western lasso, dart rope, whip techniques that truly if the lasso was used to its full potential, you indeed would not need so much shield and sword, as WW lasso is durable enough to cut through things as well. Well, to each his own, I suppose.
    We just had an entire movie where all she does is use her Lasso for different things.

BANNED
    Themyscira, Wundagore Mountain, Talok VIII

WW's use of lasso in her live movies is NOT optimized and pales in comparison to her animated version; anyone who understands choreography will know that.
    And then you wonder about the use of "pedantic"...

Fantastic Member

Sorry, double post.
    Last edited by Titan Theo; 02-22-2021 at 12:48 PM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    We just had an entire movie where all she does is use her Lasso for different things.
    That wasn't the point; the point was the manner, handling it was used, though I can see where my post could have suggested that so you arrived at that conclusion. If you liked the way she handled her lasso in that movie, then that is fine; to each his own as I said.