Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The House of Lost Horizons: A Sarah Jewell Mystery

I'm definitely in.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

An Agatha Christie inspired comic sounds amazing, this is an instant buy for me.

I always hold my enthusiasm until I check out the artist. Leila Del Duca is pretty good. Should be a fun series.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

I retract my enthusiasm. The art is such generic YA graphic novel fare. Stiff figures, awkward faces without any stylistic panache. What has happened to the Mignolaverse? Who is hiring these mediocre artists? Is their pay scale too low to attract real talent?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I retract my enthusiasm. The art is such generic YA graphic novel fare. Stiff figures, awkward faces without any stylistic panache. What has happened to the Mignolaverse? Who is hiring these mediocre artists? Is their pay scale too low to attract real talent?
    You may not personally care for her sort of Herge like ligne claire inspired style, but let's not pretend like Leila del Duca isn't a big get for Mignola as she's a hugely popular artist.
    Last edited by thwhtGuardian; 05-13-2021 at 06:14 AM.

I admit I liked what I saw of her online, but the work on this book isn't up to that.

I admit I liked what I saw of her online, but the work on this book isn't up to that.
    ...it literally looks exactly like her normal style.

Again, taste is subjective so you may not personally care for her look but to marginalize her talent? She's big in the industry right now with work for just about every major publisher, which only happens if a great number of people enjoy your work and are willing to pay to see it so comments about meeting a low pay scale or being mediocre aren't subjective statements but are actually objectively incorrect.
    Last edited by thwhtGuardian; 05-13-2021 at 07:36 AM.

I hear what you are saying. And I must say that I have increasingly been disappointed with the Mignolaverse art lately, so I am sure that is at work here.
    But again, I don't think the art in this book is of thesame quality as examples I saw of her work. Like these.

The style and quality there looks the exact same as what we got in this issue. A tendency to draw long faces with large, emotive features and then a more simplistic look at full figures against highly detailed back grounds.

We just have different opinions of the art in this book Guardian.

Another bland issue. It is basically an Agatha Christie riff with cliche, uninteresting characters. Nothing but panels with awkwardly drawn characters talking. Sorry this art is just boring. It looks like a school safety poster. Between this and Lady Baltimore, my days of buying all the Mignolaverse mini series is over. I will especially scrutinize the artists before I order.

There really was no need for this to be 5 issues. Issue 3 was water treading issue with more bland, uninspired art. Meh.

Sorry I pre ordered this. I will be careful to check out the artists for future series.

Well, that ended with a whimper.
    This is perhaps the worst Mignolaverse mini I have read (and I have read them all).
    The story was weak and was no way worth 5 issues. The mystery reveal was boring and derivative. And the art was barely serviceable and added nothing to the book. There was not one drop of horror, action or suspense in any panel.
    Sarah and Marie deserved so much more.
    A real low point.
    Last edited by Kirby101; 09-19-2021 at 06:12 AM.

Well, that ended with a whimper.
    This is perhaps the worst Mignolaverse mini I have read (and I have read them all).
    The story was weak and was no way worth 5 issues. The mystery reveal was boring and derivative. And the art was barely serviceable and added nothing to the book. There was not one drop of horror, action or suspense in any panel.
    Sarah and Marie deserved so much more.
    A real low point.
    Why am I so tempted to reply with
    But other than that, how was the play, Mrs. Lincoln?
    NOTE: Read issues #1-4 but haven't picked up issue #5 yet.
    Of the first four, I read issue #1 then read #2-4 together several months later. I will admit the issues may have been a bit "light", but found them to still be a pleasant diversion so far.