Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Someone mentioned something earlier and it got me thinking....maybe the producers of these series are adopting this art style more to target young audiences without too much adult attention.

Particularly nowadays with grown men constantly complaining about LGBT and minority representation in their media. Although, said animation style didn’t stop the same people from complaining about She-Ra’s cleavage being too small or the queer themes in the series.

But I think there is a hard shift from American producers away from animation that’s targeting all-ages. Outside of streaming services like Netflix, most modern animation just doesn’t use the detailed art style that we (I.e our age bracket) is used to. Like I said earlier, my kids pretty much gobble this stuff without much complaints because this is what they are used and don’t have much point of reference beyond the Steven Universe, Teen Titans Go and all the wacky stuff on Cartoon Network. Adults are coming in with a different perspective because we grew up (and still consume) on art that’s much more detailed. If this stuff wasn’t gaining traction with their target audience, I don’t think they’d lean so hard into it.
    I think WB definitely views more of a distinction between animation/art style and the different age groups than they used to.

Stuff like this show, DCSHG, or TTG! is what's viewed as appropriate for younger audiences and specifically aims it at said younger audiences, while stuff like the older Timm style, Young Justice, and such are now viewed only for adults, so we see Young Justice: Outsiders made for mature audiences or the recent DCAU movies that are part of the adult-oriented direct-to-DVD line of movies.

Heck, look how Marvel has been treating their animation as of late after the Disney acquisition.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    That's why I put "Calarts" in quote marks. I know it isn't really from Calarts students.

However, it isn't just "artstyle which I dislike". It is a current trend in animation that we can see on Teen Titans Go or Thundercats Roar.
    That's only because that's the style that is currently popular to dislike.

The first recorded usage of the term "CalArts Style" was by John Kricfalusi, who used it to refer to The Iron Giant. And since then it has never had a consistent definition

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jewel Runner View Post
    The idea there's been no good animation in 80 years is so wrong that it's nothing but laughable
    You're right.

I meant to say no good superhero animation.

Quote Originally Posted by green_garnish View Post
    You're right.

I meant to say no good superhero animation.
    So none of the DCAU, Spectacular Spider-Man, Incredibles, Into The Spider-Verse does it for you, noted.
    Definitely disagree.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    So none of the DCAU, Spectacular Spider-Man, Incredibles, Into The Spider-Verse does it for you, noted.
    Definitely disagree.
    It's not good animation (not counting cgi stuff here). Doesn't make much of out not entertaining. If defy anyone to identify a drawn superhero show since Fleischer that is as well animated as first generation Tom and Jerry or Loony Tunes.

TV animation doesn't have the budget those did. But not as great doesn't equate with "no good animation".
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    TV animation doesn't have the budget those did. But not as great doesn't equate with "no good animation".
    A lot of those actually were TV animation but the basic point is that most of the shows people are saying are terrific modern examples of animation were specifically designed to be visually stylish without requiring as much actual animation. If you can get away with having 20 percent fewer frames in which no movement is progressed, you've saved a ton of money. This is the basis for stylized look of Superman:TAS, Batman:TAS, Teen Titans and TT: Go, and the genesis of anime. How can we get away with doing less actual animation?

The irony is that the very passion with which this point is being debated is ultimately the answer to the thread's original (paraphrased) question: Why would you create an Aquaman animation that looks like this?

We aren't giving them any particular reason not to, because we are insisting that sub par animation is actually really great stuff as long as the design style is striking. There's nothing wrong with that either. I'm not hating on Superman or Batman animations, I get a kick out of them.

Fleisher, Looney Tunes and Tom and Jerry were all theatrical. And Superman went over budget. Of course less is spent on TV. Hanna Barbara of Tom and Jerry fame made their fortune by getting cartoons done for TV at a lower budget. Doesn't mean The Jetsons and Flinstones were no good. So I don't get your point.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Extraordinary Member

A lot of those actually were TV animation but the basic point is that most of the shows people are saying are terrific modern examples of animation were specifically designed to be visually stylish without requiring as much actual animation. If you can get away with having 20 percent fewer frames in which no movement is progressed, you've saved a ton of money. This is the basis for stylized look of Superman:TAS, Batman:TAS, Teen Titans and TT: Go, and the genesis of anime. How can we get away with doing less actual animation?

The irony is that the very passion with which this point is being debated is ultimately the answer to the thread's original (paraphrased) question: Why would you create an Aquaman animation that looks like this?

We aren't giving them any particular reason not to, because we are insisting that sub par animation is actually really great stuff as long as the design style is striking. There's nothing wrong with that either. I'm not hating on Superman or Batman animations, I get a kick out of them.
    Thing is animation drawn that badly will never be good. I'd take any 80s show over that. Things being "fluid" doesn't supersede everything else.
    Last edited by CliffHanger2; 02-21-2021 at 01:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Someone mentioned something earlier and it got me thinking....maybe the producers of these series are adopting this art style more to target young audiences without too much adult attention.
    You're giving them way too much credit. I have to hand it to Victor Courtright, the ThunderCats GO! debacle would hurt most careers but he just keeps failing upwards.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    Thing is animation drawn that badly will never be good. I'd take any 80s show over that. Things being "fluid" doesn't supersede everything else.
    Animation isn't judged by how good still images look, it's judged by how good the movement looks.

It's not good animation (not counting cgi stuff here). Doesn't make much of out not entertaining. If defy anyone to identify a drawn superhero show since Fleischer that is as well animated as first generation Tom and Jerry or Loony Tunes.
    Batman: The Animated Series, The Spectacular Spider-Man, Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Boom, done.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Batman: The Animated Series, The Spectacular Spider-Man, Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Boom, done.
    My point made. Thanks.

My point made. Thanks.
    That destroyed your point; that we hadn't had good superhero animation since the '40s.

(Admittedly, that is true; we have better.)
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    Animation isn't judged by how good still images look, it's judged by how good the movement looks.
    The ideal is to have both. But i'll take limited animation and good images over the other alternative.