Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    I guess he is a joke if you haven't read any of the comics he is in and just go on what you see on family guy....
    He was a joke when he sat on lasso and confessed his feelings, He was a joke when he runs around scream "wahooooo". That was on the big screen is it bad that Aquaman is little bit goofy surfer bro at times? No that makes him entertaining and works in his favor actually. But fans seem think that Jason Momoa scowling and Johns run can erase all the time aquaman seems like a goofy concept. Even Johns played with the joke a little to subvert it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    He was a joke when he sat on lasso and confessed his feelings, He was a joke when he runs around scream "wahooooo". That was on the big screen is it bad that Aquaman is little bit goofy surfer bro at times? No that makes him entertaining and works in his favor actually. But fans seem think that Jason Momoa scowling and Johns run can erase all the time aquaman seems like a goofy concept. Even Johns played with the joke a little to subvert it.

Aquaman isn't anymore goofy than Superman and Batman are, yet he's somehow more of a joke for no reason than "waters lame"

Loved Mamoas Aquaman but this art style isn't for me. Hard pass

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

The artstyle is hot garbage. Hard pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    Ah, I'm going to assume that we of CBR are not the target audience, but more along the lines of Teen Titans Go, Steven Universe, and even the latest Ninja Turtle cartoon.

The rest of us over the age of, oh, say, 25 or so have a lot more entertainment options than the 7 year olds this style is meant for. Heck, the audience for this type of animation is too young for most DC Animated movies, and aside from the various TV shows the movies are likely the biggest selection on something like HBO Max.
    I understand that we're not the core audience. I never thought we were. However, comics fans are always going to be very vocal about how comics characters are portrayed in other media.

Also, while I'm not 7 years old now, I once was 7, and I don't think I would have thought this was cool at that age.

Hanna-Barbera and Filmation aren't going to one-up Leonardo DaVinci, but at least their superhero characters were somewhat realistically drawn.

If Superfriends or The Superman-Aquaman Hour looked like this, I wouldn't have watched them.

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    I understand that we're not the core audience. I never thought we were. However, comics fans are always going to be very vocal about how comics characters are portrayed in other media.

Also, while I'm not 7 years old now, I once was 7, and I don't think I would have thought this was cool at that age.

Hanna-Barbera and Filmation aren't going to one-up Leonardo DaVinci, but at least their superhero characters were somewhat realistically drawn.

If Superfriends or The Superman-Aquaman Hour looked like this, I wouldn't have watched them.
    You at 7 is not the same as a 7 year old kid now tho. I'm sure you didn't care that the Superfriends cartoon was basically a slideshow and kids nowadays probably wouldn't like that at all.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

I knew the difference between good and bad animation at 7.

I'll wait for at least a trailer to judge. But yeah, that still does not bode well.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    I knew the difference between good and bad animation at 7.
    Me as well, I also knew the difference between good and bad FX. Godzilla was fun, but never more than a man in a monster suit stepping on toys. Harryhausen was great stuff.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    I am starting to wonder if the whole thing with bronies and adults watching cartoons in general made some production companies make their cartoons as anti-adult as possible to keep them away from those shows so they would only have the audiences they wanted.
    Those adults (I knew a few) spent an insane amount of money on the merch turning what would have been at best a minor success briefly into a phenomenon. I'd love to snag fans like that for any original production I create.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    This basically.

I don’t like the art style at all (I’m not sure why so much American animation is leaning into this style, I really don’t like it at all) but I’m not the target audience.

And I’m quite sure most of us on these forums aren’t either.

I mean, I watch how many kids go crazy for Teen Titans go and Steven Universe and that’s enough for me to understand that the animators are connecting with their targeting audience.
    Personally I'm just sad that DCAU-esque cartoons for all ages seem to have fallen out of favor with the Big Two companies.

Now they seem to view stuff in the vein of the Timm-era as exclusively for adults.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

I suppose they think Harley Quinn hits the adults okay so this is why this is focused on the kids? Aren't they also returning to the BTAS universe with a new project did I hear?

people just keep taking the wrong lessons from Adventure Time, Steven Universe, and Regular Show. aesthetically I mean.

I'll hold off until I see it but this art style is clearly trying to target younger audiences (something I hated even as a child) which usually devolves into mindlessness; which I also hate. I think it's the green hair and the crazy eyes on mera that's reeeeeally turning me off.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    Heck, I’d even argue that Teen Titans Go! has cleaner and less off-putting lines.

DCSHG is more like what I think of when I think of going for a unique, very personal style that doesn’t conform to the usual expectations, or even something like Dustin Nguyen’s chibi-style.

I think the type of artwork they’re using has an aesthetic appeal with some properties - I just don’t think that mixing it with Aquaman, a character infamous for having a pop culture overreaction to a subpar cartoon appearance, is a good idea.

Plastic Man? Sure. Aquaman? Eh...
    I remember people hating on Spectacular Spider-Man's art style and it was regarded as one of the best animated incarnations...where the following Ultimate had more of a conventional look and it was polarizing.

I like more unique art styles as it makes the show its own...heck I even liked a majority of the stylized designs in The New Batman Adventures over Batman the Animated series...That said...this Aquaman show art style...isn't it.

Like others have said, art style sucks so it's a hard pass for me as well.