Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    Adventure Time and Steven Universe were two hit shows that used this art style (I have no idea how the Thundercats remake did).

So it's basically bandwagoning. They probably are
    targeting the age group that Steven Universe was for.

Harley Quinn is for the grown ups.
    Steven Universe looks much better than this by comparison. The art there is at least clean, concise, and consistent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    You guys don't think the inherent concept and execution of Aquaman is silly therefore everybody in the world thinks that way. Okay I guess Aquaman keeps get used in campy stuff by accident then.
    I wouldn't say Aquaman is any different in that respect from other heroes.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Steven Universe looks much better than this by comparison. The art there is at least clean, concise, and consistent.

I wouldn't say Aquaman is any different in that respect from other heroes.
    I would say it is Aquaman is the only one that was negatively affected by it, they even made fun of the concept recently in The Boys. You could also add in Spongebobs Mermaid Man (even if he's more Adam Wests Batman)
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    I would say it is Aquaman is the only one that was negatively affected by it, they even made fun of the concept recently in The Boys. You could also add in Spongebobs Mermaid Man (even if he's more Adam Wests Batman)
    Feels strange you use the Boys as an example its a series where the entire point is to do nothing but piss on superheroes made by a guy who famously hates the concept and mocks it whenever he gets the chance.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Indeed, the proof is in the pudding as they say and this is one ugly ass pile of mush.
    Yeah man sometimes I watch ugly looking animation from the 70s like the Bashki stuff. But the drawing is there it's not just ugliness for ugliness sake like this stuff.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    Yeah man sometimes I watch ugly looking animation from the 70s like the Bashki stuff. But the drawing is there it's not just ugliness for ugliness sake like this stuff.
    Indeed, a valid point.

This is one of the reasons I prefer Anime these days to American Animation (the other being a combination of storyline complexity and character quality) the latter has (with a few notable exceptions) given up trying to be high quality, sadly.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Jewel Runner View Post
    Teen Titans Go has been renewed numerous times, so that means very little.
    It means, although I also hate Teen Titans Go, that enough people find it funny that, even if the humor isn't for me, it must be funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Jewel Runner View Post
    You know this only a 3 episode mini series.
    Not saying that makes it better just this isn't an ongoing thing.
    Is it a 3 episode miniseries? The CBR article I linked to in my OP says that the series will be split into 3 parts, so it may be a full 13-episode season that is doled out 3 or 4 at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    I am starting to wonder if the whole thing with bronies and adults watching cartoons in general made some production companies make their cartoons as anti-adult as possible to keep them away from those shows so they would only have the audiences they wanted.
    I think you have a point here, actually. I remember reading that a series, Young Justice I think, originally got canceled by Cartoon Network because it was getting too many older viewers and not selling enough toys.

OK, so this Aquaman garbage is what a bunch of middle-aged network execs think kids would like.

But why NOT make an Aquaman series for ALL ages like the continuation of Young Justice? Even Batman: The Animated Series and Gargoyles, while aimed at kids and had to adhere to certain network restrictions, could still be enjoyed by all ages.

This Aquaman series seems almost condescending in the way it's made to look deliberately dumb. If the goal is to guarantee toy sales, I don't think any kid would really buy a toy that looks like this.

Does Steven Universe sell a lot of toys? I'm sure they exist, but I've never actually seen one.

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post

James Wan will be producing the animated series AQUAMAN: KING OF ATLANTIS for HBO Max.

https://www.cbr.com/hbo-maxs-aquaman...ts-first-look/

I really can't believe that they think Thundercats-ing Aquaman is going to be a good idea. We just got rid of that show, and now they're going to do it again!

Won't they ever learn?

Here's the synopsis:

This looks so completely beyond awful that I really wonder what the powers that be are seeing that we don't.

Aquaman hasn't had a solo animated series in about 55 years. This was NOT worth the wait.

What's so terrible about realistically drawn characters? What's the fascination with this juvenile drivel?

Anybody out there have a more positive take on this?
    One of the current clichés with American animation is the perception that semi-realistic looking characters are for actual kids. Adult animation is heavily stylized, which is a big change from when I was a young adult, when the very idea of animation not targeted at children was less realistic than the current art style.
    Dark does not mean deep.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    It means, although I also hate Teen Titans Go, that enough people find it funny that, even if the humor isn't for me, it must be funny.
    Hmmm. Marx Brothers, Looney Tunes and Frasier will always be funny. Three Stooges, Banana Splits, and Two Broke Girls will never be funny. Popularity has no bearing on these inescapable facts.

Quote Originally Posted by green_garnish View Post
    Hmmm. Marx Brothers, Looney Tunes and Frasier will always be funny. Three Stooges, Banana Splits, and Two Broke Girls will never be funny. Popularity has no bearing on these inescapable facts.
    Disagree - The Three Stooges have been funny for decades, and I found Two Broke Girls very funny. They're just not funny to you. Tastes differ, no one person is the arbiter of what is or isn't funny.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    I still fundamentally don’t think that young children require “dumb” cartoons - the sheer amount of content that TTG! has and the cheaper production costs would justify preferring making it over TT if I were an executive, but that doesn’t mean it has to be dumb as well. I feel that’s maybe just some self-perpetuating misguided arguments in the industry right now.
    Now they seem to view stuff in the vein of the Timm-era as exclusively for adults.
    Just an FYI about the Timm era-Dwyane McDuffie said to never dumb down your work for people. That is talking down to people. You just write your story.

The reason why that era along with Disney Afternoon (early years), Ben 10, Static Shock, Facts of Life, Amazing World of Gumball, PBS Arthur and especially Regular Show are remembered is because they did not talk down to anybody.

Sailor Moon, Robotech, Star Blazers & Gatchaman and even the original version of Power Rangers didn't do it.

Because it assumes a kid can't understand or comprehend stuff.

Any issue with comprehension starts at HOME.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    You guys don't think the inherent concept and execution of Aquaman is silly therefore everybody in the world thinks that way. Okay I guess Aquaman keeps get used in campy stuff by accident then.
    If you don't like Aquaman just say it, no need to invent the whole world considers him silly, which is far from truth. Besides its far fetched to speak on behalf of the whole world!!

Aquaman was made fun on TV shows in the US in the past, doubt people overseas watched those shows!!
    You base your theories on the lasso thing in JL when in that movie the comical character was Flash, while Aquaman was a stern introvert badass.
    What you forget is in that movie its WW and Aquaman that really fight Steppenwolf, while the rest stay away from that. Your claim that he is a joke because he admits he is attracted to Diana, is that a comical? Who ain't attracted to WW?
    A billion plus box office seems to say that the lasso joke had no effect.

Again if you don't like the character just say that, nobody is forced to like characters.
    Last edited by Goldrake; 02-19-2021 at 10:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    I think you have a point here, actually. I remember reading that a series, Young Justice I think, originally got canceled by Cartoon Network because it was getting too many older viewers and not selling enough toys.

OK, so this Aquaman garbage is what a bunch of middle-aged network execs think kids would like.

But why NOT make an Aquaman series for ALL ages like the continuation of Young Justice? Even Batman: The Animated Series and Gargoyles, while aimed at kids and had to adhere to certain network restrictions, could still be enjoyed by all ages.

This Aquaman series seems almost condescending in the way it's made to look deliberately dumb. If the goal is to guarantee toy sales, I don't think any kid would really buy a toy that looks like this.

Does Steven Universe sell a lot of toys? I'm sure they exist, but I've never actually seen one.
    Thing is, kids aren't the ones with the money to buy toys. Their parents are.

Extraordinary Member

The series has an art style that is more suited to fluid animation and dynamic action scenes. How horrible