Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Aquaman has been a joke for quite a while, this kinda makes sense if you think about it. I know someone is going to say the movie proves that he is badass, true but The movie was also kinda goofy as well. This clearly isn't meant for me but a format where tell you can inside jokes on the character works for Aquaman some 6-year-old is going to love this show.

I hate this style of artwork it looks so cheap and creepy, hard pass. I feel sorry for the kids today.
    Last edited by Celgress; 02-17-2021 at 09:36 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Look man if you are telling me that as a 39 year old man that I cant get mad about a style of animation for a show for a hero I dont care about on a streaming service I dont even have when I am 30 years past the age of the target audience then I dont even know what I am doign with life any more.
    LOL!

/ thread
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Look man if you are telling me that as a 39 year old man that I cant get mad about a style of animation for a show for a hero I dont care about on a streaming service I dont even have when I am 30 years past the age of the target audience then I dont even know what I am doign with life any more.
    Hahahaha love this, great post
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Thundercats was funny in a juvenile way.

Though why they feel the need to shit on the source material I have no idea... beyond maybe characters names and the title of thundercats its just its own zanny silly pointless show...

It entertains me but not enough to keep tuning in...

Animation had always been more or less amazing for DC... I genuinely love watching the shows, serious, dark tone...

And as far as comedy driven shows Harley Quinn really rocks, its just enough serious and stupid with a solid through line plot...

Considering Aquaman made a billion Im surprised they are taking this all to stupid route...

Disappointing

Extraordinary Member

I support the idea of finding a unique art style that doesn’t conform to other conventional shows... but this particular style always strikes me as garish and a bit grotesque, and not in an attractive way.

Like to you want to simplify things, than I personally prefer cleaner lines and designs.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Aquaman has been a joke for quite a while, this kinda makes sense if you think about it. I know someone is going to say the movie proves that he is badass, true but The movie was also kinda goofy as well. This clearly isn't meant for me but a format where tell you can inside jokes on the character works for Aquaman some 6-year-old is going to love this show.
    Isn't the whole point moving Aquaman away from being seen as just a joke?

I'm not against fun or lightheartedness but I think people also expect more from their DC cartoons.
    Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    I support the idea of finding a unique art style that doesn’t conform to other conventional shows... but this particular style always strikes me as garish and a bit grotesque, and not in an attractive way.

Like to you want to simplify things, than I personally prefer cleaner lines and designs.
    Stuff like Justice League Action and DC Super Hero Girls (heck, even the DCAU when you get right down to it) show you can do stylized designs without necessarily sacrificing good art/character design or having realistically proportioned characters.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Isn't the whole point moving Aquaman away from being seen as just a joke?

I'm not against fun or lightheartedness but I think people also expect more from their DC cartoons.

Stuff like Justice League Action and DC Super Hero Girls (heck, even the DCAU when you get right down to it) show you can do stylized designs without necessarily sacrificing good art/character design or having realistically proportioned characters.
    Heck, I’d even argue that Teen Titans Go! has cleaner and less off-putting lines.

DCSHG is more like what I think of when I think of going for a unique, very personal style that doesn’t conform to the usual expectations, or even something like Dustin Nguyen’s chibi-style.

I think the type of artwork they’re using has an aesthetic appeal with some properties - I just don’t think that mixing it with Aquaman, a character infamous for having a pop culture overreaction to a subpar cartoon appearance, is a good idea.

Plastic Man? Sure. Aquaman? Eh...
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    Ah, I'm going to assume that we of CBR are not the target audience, but more along the lines of Teen Titans Go, Steven Universe, and even the latest Ninja Turtle cartoon.

The rest of us over the age of, oh, say, 25 or so have a lot more entertainment options than the 7 year olds this style is meant for. Heck, the audience for this type of animation is too young for most DC Animated movies, and aside from the various TV shows the movies are likely the biggest selection on something like HBO Max.
    This basically.

I don’t like the art style at all (I’m not sure why so much American animation is leaning into this style, I really don’t like it at all) but I’m not the target audience.

And I’m quite sure most of us on these forums aren’t either.

I mean, I watch how many kids go crazy for Teen Titans go and Steven Universe and that’s enough for me to understand that the animators are connecting with their targeting audience.
    Last edited by Username taken; 02-17-2021 at 10:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    I guess he is a joke if you haven't read any of the comics he is in and just go on what you see on family guy....

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    I guess he is a joke if you haven't read any of the comics he is in and just go on what you see on family guy....
    Most people don't read comics - many watch Family Guy...

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Most people don't read comics - many watch Family Guy...
    Yup unfortunately.

This is not for me so I can't really complain too much about its art style, but what I don't like is that they don't look recognizable. If you saw that promotional picture out of context, would you know that these are supposed to be Aquaman and Mera? You can somewhat see his logo on the belt, but I'm not sure if we would notice it if we didn't know what we were looking at. By comparison, I don't watch nor care about Teen Titans Go, but characters are perfectly recognizable.

^^^L-O freaking L!

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    Heck, I’d even argue that Teen Titans Go! has cleaner and less off-putting lines.
    ^^^oh there’s no argument to be had. TTG is def. more pleasing to the eye...:

Just because a show is geared towards a younger audience doesn’t mean it should look bad...:

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

I am starting to wonder if the whole thing with bronies and adults watching cartoons in general made some production companies make their cartoons as anti-adult as possible to keep them away from those shows so they would only have the audiences they wanted.