Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Ultimate Member

One thing I remember most about Age of Ultron was everyone yelling at Stark for creating an AI, and ignoring the fact that he already had one in the form of Jarvis, and disks of spare AIs, like Friday.

I never thought Joss was great at making his metaphors and internal logic mix.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    One thing I remember most about Age of Ultron was everyone yelling at Stark for creating an AI, and ignoring the fact that he already had one in the form of Jarvis, and disks of spare AIs, like Friday.

I never thought Joss was great at making his metaphors and internal logic mix.
    Well, the fact that said AI went rogue had to do with it.

Of course, that conflict only happened because no one found out that Tony created Ultron in response to Wanda messing with his head.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post

Of course, that conflict only happened because no one found out that Tony created Ultron in response to Wanda messing with his head.
    Going by Tony and Bruce's conversation, Ultron was something they'd discussed prior to meeting Wanda.
    HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/store

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post

None of them seemed to actually acknowledge Jarvis as an AI though, for some reason. The tone was that Tony had crossed some new line, even though he'd have Jarvis from before he was ever Iron Man. Tony was keen to install Ultron into his androids as some kind of upgrade, even though there was no indication that Jarvis was any less capable

None of them seemed to actually acknowledge Jarvis as an AI though, for some reason. The tone was that Tony had crossed some new line, even though he'd have Jarvis from before he was ever Iron Man. Tony was keen to install Ultron into his androids as some kind of upgrade, even though there was no indication that Jarvis was any less capable
    The difference is that he used the Mind Stone recklessly. Simply creating an AI wasn't the issue. It was his he went about it.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    The difference is that he used the Mind Stone recklessly. Simply creating an AI wasn't the issue. It was his he went about it.
    They seemed more concerned that he was playing with AI than the fact that he was tinkering with an object of doom. I don't recall anyone being that upset that he was messing with it, just that it went missing after Ultron came online.

Another thing I don't understand was how the Avengers drew a line from Strucker to Klau. Why, of all Strucker's criminal associates, they zeroed in on him.

BANNED

Seems like Jarvis was made to turn on lights, answer questions, and automate hardware development. But he wasn't really able to do anything without being told to do it.

Ultron was created to be an independent thinker, to be self-aware, and to make its own judgements and decisions about protecting the planet like a suit of armor.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by green_garnish View Post
    Seems like Jarvis was made to turn on lights, answer questions, and automate hardware development. But he wasn't really able to do anything without being told to do it.

Ultron was created to be an independent thinker, to be self-aware, and to make its own judgements and decisions about protecting the planet like a suit of armor.
    I might have thought that too, if Jarvis hadn't been the AI keeping freakin' Ultron out of the world's nukes, even after Ultron nearly killed him.

So all things considered, I don't see anything that would suggest that he was any less sophisticated than Ultron. In fact, it was stated that he was the greatest threat to Ultron, hence why he was attacked first.

Extraordinary Member

Thing is we got in my opinion, a pretty good explanation for why Ultron goes nuts.

Ultron starts out existentially freaked out (asking why he can't see anything and where are his limbs and such )and then he get tasked with protecting humanity forever. Which he immediatly decides is futile.

There's Jarvis just did what he was told, Ultron had opinions about his orders and was able to interpret them in a....creative manner.

They seemed more concerned that he was playing with AI than the fact that he was tinkering with an object of doom. I don't recall anyone being that upset that he was messing with it, just that it went missing after Ultron came online.

Another thing I don't understand was how the Avengers drew a line from Strucker to Klau. Why, of all Strucker's criminal associates, they zeroed in on him.
    Wasn't it because of the Vibranium?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Wasn't it because of the Vibranium?
    How would they know that Ultron was after vibranium, though? Or that Klau had it?

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    Thing is we got in my opinion, a pretty good explanation for why Ultron goes nuts.

Ultron starts out existentially freaked out (asking why he can't see anything and where are his limbs and such )and then he get tasked with protecting humanity forever. Which he immediatly decides is futile.

There's Jarvis just did what he was told, Ultron had opinions about his orders and was able to interpret them in a....creative manner.
    Exactly. Ultron had more free will and it was emotional. Jarvis wasn't at all.

How would they know that Ultron was after vibranium, though? Or that Klau had it?
    Ok, I just rewatched the scene. The Avengers find out Ultron killed Strucker and realize he knew something. Then they go through Strucker's files and Tony happens to recognize Klaue from back in the day. He recalls that Klaue claimed to be "on to something." Banner then checks him out and Thor notices a brand that was Wakandan. Cap and Tony deduce he has vibranium and that must be where Ultron is headed.

So it was a bit of blind luck Tony saw the file to begin with.

BANNED

They were looking up hard copy records of past associates of Strucker after Ultron sent them a picture of his corpse. Stark recognized Klau from past dealings with him. They researched a brand on his neck that led them to Wakanda. Stark and Rogers knew that vibranium comes from Wakanda. It doesn't take a great leap of logic to figure out that a metal being wants the strongest possible body and where to get it.

Quote Originally Posted by green_garnish View Post
    They were looking up hard copy records of past associates of Strucker after Ultron sent them a picture of his corpse. Stark recognized Klau from past dealings with him. They researched a brand on his neck that led them to Wakanda. Stark and Rogers knew that vibranium comes from Wakanda. It doesn't take a great leap of logic to figure out that a metal being wants the strongest possible body and where to get it.
    Especially with how easily Iron Man took down his first major body.