Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Tim Fox question

I'm not reading the Next Batman, but he showed up in JL, Nightwing and others. I'm not very excited about him, so I won't read his books any time soon, but I do have some questions for those who have read them.

How did he become the next Batman? Any background on the characters besides his family?
    Some random dude just took the mantle and everyone else in the bat-family is ok with it?
    Anyone can be Batman now?

Thanks for your replies!
    - We were the BEST, Richard. No matter what anyone thinks. - Damian Wayne.

Green Lantern Spanish Fan Site HERE

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Technically since Bruce is presumed dead anyone with initiative can be Batman if they want

There will be a digital mini series about his origin

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Technically since Bruce is presumed dead anyone with initiative can be Batman if they want

There will be a digital mini series about his origin
    Sure, but wouldn´t they die in the first night? they´re pretty much saying that anyone can do what Bruce does. That kinda undermines his place in the JL and the DCU.
    - We were the BEST, Richard. No matter what anyone thinks. - Damian Wayne.

Green Lantern Spanish Fan Site HERE

Quote Originally Posted by poroto678 View Post
    I'm not reading the Next Batman, but he showed up in JL, Nightwing and others. I'm not very excited about him, so I won't read his books any time soon, but I do have some questions for those who have read them.

How did he become the next Batman? Any background on the characters besides his family?
    Some random dude just took the mantle and everyone else in the bat-family is ok with it?

Thanks for your replies!
    A few thoughts came to mind

1.We do not know his origins yet or how he got to this point. Ridley has informed us in interviews that he plans to work on that in other series, much like Next Batman: Second Son which starts next week but there is also Future State: Gotham. We really only know he was in military school and whatever job he held before involved being tortured.
    2. I mean I can't speak for the entirety of the Bat-family but when it came to Nightwing he had to work with him and earn his trust, so more like Nightwing came to respect him.
    3. Justice League is at least a few years after Next Batman, so by that point he has to have proven himself
    4. Most of Gotham was dealing with the Magistrate trying to shoot them or send them to jail, so the Bat-family did not exactly have the time to be hunting down "some guy" in a Batman suit they did not know.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Sure, but wouldn´t they die in the first night? they´re pretty much saying that anyone can do what Bruce does. That kinda undermines his place in the JL and the DCU.
    So if they don't die then they're good enough

Thanks for your replies!
    Anyone could always be Batman and several have however this time it's Tim because it's 2021, there's still a lot of racism so it must a visually ethnic minority
    He does have some military background so he does have some training I expect.

For his motivation we don't know yet. might just be proximity and the need to do something.

Might be family beef since his family are the power behind the current fascist regime in gotham

Hopefully the upcoming series 2nd son will flesh out Tim Fox and provide a passable motivation and background since the FS titles have really been bare bones where he's concerned.

Like someone else said the Bats have their hands full currently and it's not like this is the 1st time some rando has replaced Bruce. At least Tim has some connection via the Fox family.

Read The Next Batman: Second Son.

Also, yeah, anyone being able to be Batman is what makes him lame. Superman is cool 'cause he's from Krypton which exploded so he's special. Batman's just some random rich guy with zero powers! Can't believe they made an entire movie about that guy, like why didn't he go work as a doctor or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Superboy-Prime View Post
    Read The Next Batman: Second Son.

Also, yeah, anyone being able to be Batman is what makes him lame. Superman is cool 'cause he's from Krypton which exploded so he's special. Batman's just some random rich guy with zero powers! Can't believe they made an entire movie about that guy, like why didn't he go work as a doctor or something.
    What an odd and unnecessary statement.

Incorrect: Superman isn't special since he isn't the only Kryptonian]
    They made more than one movie about that 'Lame' guy and they are making another.
    Subjective and smacks of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    What an odd and unnecessary statement.

Incorrect: Superman isn't special since he isn't the only Kryptonian]
    They made more than one movie about that 'Lame' guy and they are making another.
    Subjective and smacks of salt.
    Well, yeah, but he's more special than Batman. Anybody can train their bodies to peak physical performance, have a tragic backstory, and an absurd amount of wealth.

Extraordinary Member

He does have some military background so he does have some training I expect.
    I don't feel like "some military background" should be enough, but that was also how they explained it with Kate ...
    But I guess like in her case they are just going to ignore that basically everybody else in the Batfamily has way more experience in crime fighting than him.

Seems still wired to me that everyone in the Batfamily seems OK with him taking up the mantle, especially with his status as the Black Sheep of the Fox Family, which is something at least Dick should be aware of.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    I don't feel like "some military background" should be enough, but that was also how they explained it with Kate ...
    But I guess like in her case they are just going to ignore that basically everybody else in the Batfamily has way more experience in crime fighting than him.

Seems still wired to me that everyone in the Batfamily seems OK with him taking up the mantle, especially with his status as the Black Sheep of the Fox Family, which is something at least Dick should be aware of.
    Like I said, the real reason is racial. Tim Fox is Batman and is being pushed through because of the colour of his skin.

If DC wasn't doing it to appear Progressive/raid the pockets of POC
    If Ridley wasn't going for the political angle then yeah he would face opposition tarnishing Bruce's legacy since his family are the ones who power the regime that killed Batman.

However the story Ridley's telling and the political climate in America requires certain allowances. That he that he be given a pass and we have to ignore some plot elements.

Also like was said before several times, we are yet to get his full background and the story is yet to be fleshed out.

FS is a possible future so we don't know what leads to it and what changed for the Batfamily.

Thanks for your replies!
    It's not explored in Future State: Batman. Ridley is probably gonna explore that in The Next Batman: Second Son.

Gotham in Future State is a dystopia. The Batfamily has got other things going on and they haven't met the new guy yet.

Ridley clearly has a plan so I am just waiting to see where it goes. I'm enjoying the series, as far as tone, themes go this is exactly the kind of Batman story I enjoy reading.

Like I said, the real reason is racial. Tim Fox is Batman and is being pushed through because of the colour of his skin.

If DC wasn't doing it to appear Progressive/raid the pockets of POC
    If Ridley wasn't going for the political angle then yeah he would face opposition tarnishing Bruce's legacy since his family are the ones who power the regime that killed Batman.

However the story Ridley's telling and the political climate in America requires certain allowances. That he that he be given a pass and we have to ignore some plot elements.

Also like was said before several times, we are yet to get his full background and the story is yet to be fleshed out.

FS is a possible future so we don't know what leads to it and what changed for the Batfamily.
    Man what are you talking about? Please take your propaganda/false information elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Superboy-Prime View Post
    Man what are you talking about? Please take your propaganda/false information elsewhere.
    Exactly which part is false or Propaganda?