Default Trinity of film composers

Someone mentioned this in another thread and I think it's a good topic for its own thread.

So, Who are your favorite Top 3 film composers? I guess you can include TV as well. Shows like Doctor Who and Game of Thrones, and even Avatar The Last Airbender have great music.

For me it's probably John Williams, Jerry Goldsmith and... Vangelis or Hans Zimmer or Murray Gold (from Doctor Who). Really not sure yet who my third one is. I guess I give it to Murray Gold because I just adore his scores and songs for the show so much and even bought the CDs.

I really think Jerry Goldsmith is underrated. Just listening to his scores for all the many movies he did, wows me. He was just as good as Williams, IMO, but Williams is more famous.

You can listen to some of his best work here. So good! I really love film scores. Can make a movie better.

https://www.denofgeek.com/movies/the...rry-goldsmith/

Max Steiner, Bernard Hermann, John Williams.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

John Williams, Silvestri, Zimmer.

TV? Joel Goldsmith (RIP), Christophe Beck, and Joseph LoDuca.

No list is complete without Ennio Morricone!

Williams, Goldsmith, and Silvestri for me. I can't say I'm much of a fan of Zimmer, though I know that's blasphemy on a comic board.

Honorable mention goes to Michael Giacchino, who might be too junior but I could easily see him one day hitting Big 3 status.

James Horner would be fine if he didn't have that history of reusing his own work. Alas, RIP.

I really think Jerry Goldsmith is underrated. Just listening to his scores for all the many movies he did, wows me. He was just as good as Williams, IMO, but Williams is more famous.
    I really wish there was a better quality version of this clip:

I love the top comment, though: "It's like a Jedi commanding a Starfleet ship."

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    No list is complete without Ennio Morricone!
    When I think of a Big 3, I think of like Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman, or Cap, Thor, and Iron Man, or even in the 90s with Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen, and Dennis Rodman.

For me, Morricone is akin to Spider-Man or Wolverine -- formidable enough and unique enough to stand on his own without needing to be a part of a Big 3. Morricone is so different than the others that I consider him in his own class.
    Last edited by Cyke; 02-18-2021 at 11:32 PM.

Dear lord, only 3??!!! Yikes!

I will go with: John Williams, John Powell, & Michael Kamen.

I am glad to see Goldsmith getting some love as he is in my top five. Others considered: Elfman, Silvestri, and Horner.
    Last edited by Jekyll; 02-21-2021 at 06:24 AM.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

BANNED

Herrmann, Morricone and Elfman. Hands down.

Incredible Member

Jerry Goldsmith; Hans Zimmer; John Powell

honorable mentions: Alan Silvestri; Christopher Young; Danny Elfman (late 80's early 90's)

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post

Jerry Goldsmith had more variety and could adapt easily whether its orchestra or synthesizer to suit his films, I know many have a hard on for John Williams but IMO he was stuck relying on orchestras and although he's composed many signature character themes his incidental music is dull and uninspired.

Quote Originally Posted by Mace Dolex View Post
    Jerry Goldsmith; Hans Zimmer; John Powell

honorable mentions: Alan Silvestri; Christopher Young; Danny Elfman (late 80's early 90's)

Jerry Goldsmith had more variety and could adapt easily whether its orchestra or synthesizer to suit his films, I know many have a hard on for John Williams but IMO he was stuck relying on orchestras and although he's composed many signature character themes his incidental music is dull and uninspired.
    Gah John Powell!!! I may have to alter my list because I love Powell. Completely agree on Goldsmith.

Regarding Williams, I see your point but would also ask to consider a few things. He is mostly known for his orchestral works because they are the most recognized by the casual listener. He actually has more variety than folks credit him for but it’s for films that aren’t as beloved or well known. His scores for JFK and Selena (and even minority report) for example actually use quite a bit of electronics with orchestra . Those scores are all with Spielberg who trusts John and probably let’s him experiment more than other filmmakers.

I don’t think he’s had the opportunity to explore as much as the other composers you mention because most filmmakers want the “classic John Williams” so to speak.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

John Williams
    James Horner
    Michael Giacchino

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    Regarding Williams, I see your point but would also ask to consider a few things. He is mostly known for his orchestral works because they are the most recognized by the casual listener. He actually has more variety than folks credit him for but it’s for films that aren’t as beloved or well known. His scores for JFK and Selena (and even minority report) for example actually use quite a bit of electronics with orchestra . Those scores are all with Spielberg who trusts John and probably let’s him experiment more than other filmmakers.

I don’t think he’s had the opportunity to explore as much as the other composers you mention because most filmmakers want the “classic John Williams” so to speak.
    I guess you make a good point I've just heard Williams' more recognizable work like Jaws, Superman, Star Wars, Indiana Jones and I haven't seen all of Spielberg's films to hear more variety.

All-New Member

John Williams
    Basil Poledouris
    Bernard Herrmann

Special mentions: John Carpenter and Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

John Williams (favorite film music score: Superman)
    Danny Elfman (favorite film music score: Batman)
    James Horner (favorite film music score: Star Trek II)
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

I still contend to this very day that Peter Gabriel orchostrated the best soundtrack for a film ever for The Last Temptation of Christ.

For a close second I'd put Popol Vuh who composed the music for pretty much every 70s-80s Werner Herzog movie.

And for third I'd put Tangerine Dream who did Thief, Strange Behavior, and Risky Business.