Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    It might sound weird, but that kind of thinking is what made me dislike the big Sentinels from the moment i first saw them in X-men TAS. Yes i disliked them so much my teenage mind actualy switched off "rule of cool" and went towards considering the costs, colleteral damage and public outrage that these things should cause.

Which got worse over time. Because eventualy i wondered how if a country could have giant flying killer robots and openly deploy them in their own cities, the rest of the world would just shrug at that?
    Because if anyone in the US government would have that kind of technology, it would result in a reaction from other countries and lead to an arms race.
    This is also one problem i have with the destruction of Genosha in Morrison's run (besides the destruction itself being a pointless shock moment which robbed the franchise of several interesting world building possibilities), when a giant robot kills 16 million people in a few minutes, the world would react.
    Everyone would want to investigate where it came from, who build it, who send it, how advanced the tech is and how it could be replicated or countered. The mutants would be the leasts of anyone's worries with that (especialy since their number just got reduced to an 8th of what it was a few hours ago).

Which is funny because i'm a fan of many mecha games and universe, so it's not like i dislike stompy bots in general (though i prefer them piloted) in my works of super hero fiction or can't ignore the whole logic issues behind them. But the moment i saw them in the first episodes of X-men TAS i just couldn't like them. I think they were one reason i never got myself to watch the show on Saturdays.

To me they looked silly with these faces and their purple paint job, their programming made them act stupid, they were impractical for what they were meant to be used for and for all their size they went down far too easy.

I guess the various other super hero cartoons of the time might have affected me though. Spiderman TAS featured much more subdued laser shooting secruity robots and the Spiderslayers were secretly deployed prototype tech produced at the demand of a criminal mastermind. Superman TAS had an almost practical looking mech suit the hero had a great fight with in the first two episodes. Big Guy and Rusty actualy adressed the logistics and even founding behind a giant combat robot and their targets were giant monsters so the size and armaments fit. Gargoyles also featured much more reasonable hero hunting robots.

When i finaly gave the X-men another chance it was by looking into the comics of 1997, which was when Operation Zero Tolerance was going on and featured what i still consider a much more reasonable model of Sentinels with the Prime types that were human sized, capable of hiding among the population and actualy acted smart.

Later X-men Evolution also did the Sentinels better in my opinion. Not only were they more compact looking, but also lacked the silly faces in favor of "glowing eyes" and were created by a clandestine organization as secret weapon.

So yeah everytime classic giant Sentinels show up in the comics, i'm almost predestined to roll my eyes and wish they would disappear in history section of the X-men franchise again.
    Quote Originally Posted by The92Ghost View Post
    This man here speaks the truth. Can't believe I didn't think about that until he mentioned it. So true, if other countries saw those big sentinels or a robot destroying an entire island regardless of the occupants the entire world will respond with a direct attack or at least investigation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev9 View Post
    Yeah he does but I raised this issue more than a year ago on the 'Unpopular/Controversial opinion on the XUniverse' thread.It annoyed me to no end how comics went with the idea of huge robots for so long.I mean they are supposed to find and either apprehend or destroy mutants who on top of having powers can hide in buildings ,narrow alleys basically any nook and cranny they fit in and you tell me a 50 foot sentinel will find them and smoke them out without destroying human property and causing human maiming and death because of how cumbersome their movement or indiscriminate their weaponry is? It's beyond implausible ,it's retarded and I was happy with how DoFP the film at least designed their future sentinels they were lithe and absolutely deadly.All sentinels should not exceed 7 or 8 feet to be at the very least a credible extraction or search and destroy platform if that size leaves them a bit too conspicuous for infiltration
    Very much cosigned, and kudos for the references to Spider-Man and Superman TAS from the same era. Spider-Man TAS, especially, was my favorite, and I loved the crossover/team-up with the TAS X-Men.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dthirds3 View Post
    Why dose there always have to be a romance sub plot ? Also if she had to be in a relationship with somone why not Serafina ?
    She wouldn't want to be in a relationship with someone who might have every intention to destroy mutantkind?

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Not to mention that the classic Sentinels are frankly a waste of taxpayer money and as bigoted towards mutants as the average MU denizen is, they're not going to get behind having their neighborhoods and businesses smashed up even worse by the giant lumbering robots that are supposed to be protecting them from mutants.
    I know, right? It makes NO sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    So yeah everytime classic giant Sentinels show up in the comics, i'm almost predestined to roll my eyes and wish they would disappear in history section of the X-men franchise again.
    Grunty, everything you wrote was on point, I'm with you mate!
    "Kids don't care **** about superhero comic books. And if they do, they probably start with manga, with One Punch-Man or My Hero Academia. " -ImOctavius.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

But...but...they looked. so. frikkin. rad! ...at-the-time.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

So when The 3 return from the Vault. If possible what current team would you guys like to see them go to. It could be as a trio, or as individuals.

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    So when The 3 return from the Vault. If possible what current team would you guys like to see them go to. It could be as a trio, or as individuals.
    I honestly would love to see them stick together because of the combination of their powers. They could take on the most dangerous, high-risk missions. Maybe even create a new team dedicated to those missions.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Who would be the father: Darwin or Synch?
    Both, Synch will absorb Darwin ala Vulcan.

Ohhhhhh snap

Extraordinary Member

The child wouldn’t even have to still be a baby. It could be Gabby’s age by now.

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoBandz View Post
    Synch and Darwin are cooler than Serafina is why.
    After all this time, Synch/Darwin/Laura are obviously a throuple.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    After all this time, Synch/Darwin/Laura are obviously a throuple.
    Someone revive the poly thread!

Why dose there always have to be a romance sub plot ? Also if she had to be in a relationship with somone why not Serafina ?
    While if they’ve been in there for over 500 years they probably had some romance

Quote Originally Posted by gambitxremy View Post
    While if they’ve been in there for over 500 years they probably had some romance
    Or maybe not, we don't know if they were even close all that time.

Emma Been Frost Perfection/Emma 2's Avatar

Okay I will be getting this issue of X-Men
    Yara Flor & Emma "Mama" Frost stan account

Extraordinary Member

Why not....just add her to Laura, Ev and Darwin?