Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Sentinels are SOOO last era. This is the Age of Nimrods: the Meh!, the Lesser and the Greater!!!
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Sentinels are SOOO last era. This is the Age of Nimrods: the Meh!, the Lesser and the Greater!!!
    Agree, not only do they look obsolete,but the constant depiction of sentinels as like 50 foot tall behemoths is just off putting.If the sentinels were more lithe and like 7 foot tall would work better in the modern era.Either way though we know they are cannon fodder so they make the fights very predictable.I would rather they fight a different trio of children from the vault springing a surprise in terms of powerset every now and again

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rev9 View Post
    Agree, not only do they look obsolete,but the constant depiction of sentinels as like 50 foot tall behemoths is just off putting.If the sentinels were more lithe and like 7 foot tall would work better in the modern era.Either way though we know they are cannon fodder so they make the fights very predictable.I would rather they fight a different trio of children from the vault springing a surprise in terms of powerset every now and again
    Honestly I feel like Sentinels are supposedly drawn to symbolize and recognize X-Men battling against Human Machines for decades for survival and peace. They are also popular. But they shouldn't be used to fight. They should just be used for museums or showcased perhaps lol.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Not to mention that the classic Sentinels are frankly a waste of taxpayer money and as bigoted towards mutants as the average MU denizen is, they're not going to get behind having their neighborhoods and businesses smashed up even worse by the giant lumbering robots that are supposed to be protecting them from mutants.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Not to mention that the classic Sentinels are frankly a waste of taxpayer money and as bigoted towards mutants as the average MU denizen is, they're not going to get behind having their neighborhoods and businesses smashed up even worse by the giant lumbering robots that are supposed to be protecting them from mutants.
    Also muties also pay taxes ... well maybe not Xavier or da Costa since they're in the higher tax bracket; but the Guthries are probably hammered every April

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    It might sound weird, but that kind of thinking is what made me dislike the big Sentinels from the moment i first saw them in X-men TAS. Yes i disliked them so much my teenage mind actualy switched off "rule of cool" and went towards considering the costs, colleteral damage and public outrage that these things should cause.

Which got worse over time. Because eventualy i wondered how if a country could have giant flying killer robots and openly deploy them in their own cities, the rest of the world would just shrug at that?
    Because if anyone in the US government would have that kind of technology, it would result in a reaction from other countries and lead to an arms race.
    This is also one problem i have with the destruction of Genosha in Morrison's run (besides the destruction itself being a pointless shock moment which robbed the franchise of several interesting world building possibilities), when a giant robot kills 16 million people in a few minutes, the world would react.
    Everyone would want to investigate where it came from, who build it, who send it, how advanced the tech is and how it could be replicated or countered. The mutants would be the leasts of anyone's worries with that (especialy since their number just got reduced to an 8th of what it was a few hours ago).

Which is funny because i'm a fan of many mecha games and universe, so it's not like i dislike stompy bots in general (though i prefer them piloted) in my works of super hero fiction or can't ignore the whole logic issues behind them. But the moment i saw them in the first episodes of X-men TAS i just couldn't like them. I think they were one reason i never got myself to watch the show on Saturdays.

To me they looked silly with these faces and their purple paint job, their programming made them act stupid, they were impractical for what they were meant to be used for and for all their size they went down far too easy.

I guess the various other super hero cartoons of the time might have affected me though. Spiderman TAS featured much more subdued laser shooting secruity robots and the Spiderslayers were secretly deployed prototype tech produced at the demand of a criminal mastermind. Superman TAS had an almost practical looking mech suit the hero had a great fight with in the first two episodes. Big Guy and Rusty actualy adressed the logistics and even founding behind a giant combat robot and their targets were giant monsters so the size and armaments fit. Gargoyles also featured much more reasonable hero hunting robots.

When i finaly gave the X-men another chance it was by looking into the comics of 1997, which was when Operation Zero Tolerance was going on and featured what i still consider a much more reasonable model of Sentinels with the Prime types that were human sized, capable of hiding among the population and actualy acted smart.

Later X-men Evolution also did the Sentinels better in my opinion. Not only were they more compact looking, but also lacked the silly faces in favor of "glowing eyes" and were created by a clandestine organization as secret weapon.

So yeah everytime classic giant Sentinels show up in the comics, i'm almost predestined to roll my eyes and wish they would disappear in history section of the X-men franchise again.

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    It might sound weird, but that kind of thinking is what made me dislike the big Sentinels from the moment i first saw them in X-men TAS. Yes i disliked them so much my teenage mind actualy switched off "rule of cool" and went towards considering the costs, colleteral damage and public outrage that these things should cause.

Which got worse over time. Because eventualy i wondered how if a country could have giant flying killer robots and openly deploy them in their own cities, the rest of the world would just shrug at that?
    Because if anyone in the US government would have that kind of technology, it would result in a reaction from other countries and lead to an arms race.
    This is also one problem i have with the destruction of Genosha in Morrison's run (besides the destruction itself being a pointless shock moment which robbed the franchise of several interesting world building possibilities), when a giant robot kills 16 million people in a few minutes, the world would react.
    Everyone would want to investigate where it came from, who build it, who send it, how advanced the tech is and how it could be replicated or countered. The mutants would be the leasts of anyone's worries with that (especialy since their number just got reduced to an 8th of what it was a few hours ago).

Which is funny because i'm a fan of many mecha games and universe, so it's not like i dislike stompy bots in general (though i prefer them piloted) in my works of super hero fiction or can't ignore the whole logic issues behind them. But the moment i saw them in the first episodes of X-men TAS i just couldn't like them. I think they were one reason i never got myself to watch the show on Saturdays.

To me they looked silly with these faces and their purple paint job, their programming made them act stupid, they were impractical for what they were meant to be used for and for all their size they went down far too easy.

I guess the various other super hero cartoons of the time might have affected me though. Spiderman TAS featured much more subdued laser shooting secruity robots and the Spiderslayers were secretly deployed prototype tech produced at the demand of a criminal mastermind. Superman TAS had an almost practical looking mech suit the hero had a great fight with in the first two episodes. Big Guy and Rusty actualy adressed the logistics and even founding behind a giant combat robot and their targets were giant monsters so the size and armaments fit. Gargoyles also featured much more reasonable hero hunting robots.

When i finaly gave the X-men another chance it was by looking into the comics of 1997, which was when Operation Zero Tolerance was going on and featured what i still consider a much more reasonable model of Sentinels with the Prime types that were human sized, capable of hiding among the population and actualy acted smart.

Later X-men Evolution also did the Sentinels better in my opinion. Not only were they more compact looking, but also lacked the silly faces in favor of "glowing eyes" and were created by a clandestine organization as secret weapon.

So yeah everytime classic giant Sentinels show up in the comics, i'm almost predestined to roll my eyes and wish they would disappear in history section of the X-men franchise again.
    This man here speaks the truth. Can't believe I didn't think about that until he mentioned it. So true, if other countries saw those big sentinels or a robot destroying an entire island regardless of the occupants the entire world will respond with a direct attack or at least investigation.

Fantastic Member

I hope the children didn't force the team to do jigsaw puzzles for millennia.

(Yes, I'm still salty about parts of XOS)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The92Ghost View Post
    This man here speaks the truth. Can't believe I didn't think about that until he mentioned it. So true, if other countries saw those big sentinels or a robot destroying an entire island regardless of the occupants the entire world will respond with a direct attack or at least investigation.
    Yeah he does but I raised this issue more than a year ago on the 'Unpopular/Controversial opinion on the XUniverse' thread.It annoyed me to no end how comics went with the idea of huge robots for so long.I mean they are supposed to find and either apprehend or destroy mutants who on top of having powers can hide in buildings ,narrow alleys basically any nook and cranny they fit in and you tell me a 50 foot sentinel will find them and smoke them out without destroying human property and causing human maiming and death because of how cumbersome their movement or indiscriminate their weaponry is? It's beyond implausible ,it's retarded and I was happy with how DoFP the film at least designed their future sentinels they were lithe and absolutely deadly.All sentinels should not exceed 7 or 8 feet to be at the very least a credible extraction or search and destroy platform if that size leaves them a bit too conspicuous for infiltration
    Last edited by Rev9; 02-21-2021 at 02:10 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Who would be the father: Darwin or Synch?

Yeah he does but I raised this issue more than a year ago on the 'Unpopular/Controversial opinion on the XUniverse' thread.It annoyed me to no end how comics went with the idea of huge robots for so long.I mean they are supposed to find and either apprehend or destroy mutants who on top of having powers can hide in buildings ,narrow alleys basically any nook and cranny they fit in and you tell me a 50 foot sentinel will find them and smoke them out without destroying human property and causing human maiming and death because of how cumbersome their movement or indiscriminate their weaponry is? It's beyond implausible ,it's retarded and I was happy with how DoFP the film at least designed their future sentinels they were lithe and absolutely deadly.All sentinels should not exceed 7 or 8 feet to be at the very least a credible extraction or search and destroy platform if that size leaves them a bit too conspicuous for infiltration
    I liked how they were handled in the DoFP film. Back in the 70s, the original giant purple robot prototype was built to project human strength and power (remember, this wasn’t long after the space race to the moon so it felt in character for America at the time), and also seemed like it was more designed for defense than actively hunting mutants down. It was only the later models, which could adapt and change shape and replicate mutant abilities through nanotechnology, that seemed designed for this purpose.

The only major missed opportunity in my mind was to have someone refer to those future model Sentinels as “Nimrods” or “Nimrod class Sentinels.” Would’ve been a great Easter egg for comic fans.

X-23 could be babies-moma to both Synch and Darwin.

Astonishing Member

Why dose there always have to be a romance sub plot ? Also if she had to be in a relationship with somone why not Serafina ?

Quote Originally Posted by Dthirds3 View Post
    Why dose there always have to be a romance sub plot ? Also if she had to be in a relationship with somone why not Serafina ?
    Synch and Darwin are cooler than Serafina is why.
    The Krakoans are EEEvil!

THEY MUST BE STOPPED!